• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery Dead on my 95 Accord?

Was driving my accord around for a fair amount of time yesterday, went to century city from hollywood and back thru santa monica traffic at rush hour... car did just fine...

get in tonite to take a friend home, and turn the key, nothing happens.

No lights on the dash or anything.... so i get a friend to give me a jump.... a few minutes of charging allows the car to start.... so i drive around the block long enough for the motor to warm up...

get back home, turn the car off, and back on.nothing.

Dead battery which is obvious, but why so sudden? Do batteries just decided to stop working over night?

I went out of town for 2 weeks prior to these outings, but since I've been back, the car has been driven alot in the week i've been back...

so what gives? is my alternator going out??

(i hope not)

Thanks guys for the help -Electro

Your alternator might have kicked the bucket. Easy way to check: while the car is running w/ all accessories off (i.e. lights, ac, radio, etc.), check the battery voltage w/ a multimeter. If it's < 13v, then your alternator is dead. If it's >= 14v, then your alternator is ok. If it's between 13-14v, then your alternator may be weak.

If you want to check your battery: check the battery voltage while somebody starts your car w/ all accessories off. If voltage dips below 10v, then your battery may be on its way out.

Michael.

------------------
1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

If you want to check your battery: check the battery voltage while somebody starts your car w/ all accessories off. If voltage dips below 10v, then your battery may be on its way out.

OTOH,

If your battery voltage doesn't dip at all, you may have a loose cable which could cause the symptoms you describe...

Back