• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery Tender Jr. installation (with pics)

NsXMas helped me with this on both my NSXs, and peiserg helped him with his installation, so I suppose they deserve the credit. :wink: I like this solution because the Battery Tender is supposedly better for my battery than a trickle charger, and I can keep the hood closed to keep the vehicle alarm activated.

Links to product: Battery Tender Jr. (Amazon)
Also used: SAE Extension Cable (36")
Installation time: 15-20 minutes
Installation difficulty: Easy

You can find the Batter Tender Jr. at most auto parts stores (Batteries Plus seems to have the best brick & mortar price if you're in a hurry), but I only found the extension cable online.

Here are the install pics. Since you're going to undo the battery terminals for this anyway, I'd recommend installing some anti-corrosion battery pads and applying some anti-corrosion gel on your battery terminals. You will also have to remove your spare tire for this installation procedure.

Red lead connected to positive terminal.
batterytender1.jpg

Black lead connected to negative terminal.
batterytender2.jpg

Zip tie #1 (to hose next to under-hood relay box A). You can also see where the extension cable plugs in on the left hand side above the fuse box.
batterytender3.jpg

Zip tie #2 (to hose near under-hood relay box B). I also kept the extra length on extension cable looped just above this point (hidden by the relay box) to remove any slack in the cable.
batterytender4.jpg

Zip tie #3 (near hood edge)
batterytender5.jpg

I fished the extension cable down behind the grill and connected it to the Battery Tender Jr. here. Whenever I disconnect the Battery Tender, I just close the cap on the extension cable and tuck it behind the grill.
batterytender6.jpg

The Battery Tender Jr. is connected to a nearby wall outlet and keeps the battery maintained when I'm not driving my NSX.
batterytender7.jpg

My high tech solution (sock on the shifter) for reminding me to disconnect the Battery Tender Jr. when I drive the car. :biggrin:
batterytender8.jpg

Last edited:
I have had that same unit on my car for about 5 years and never had a problem with it. Works great. I could use one of the extension cables though.

Yours looks a little different then mine.
Mike

Nice little writeup, I didnt put the extension on mine so its still in the relay area.

I also put a "note" on the car when its on the charger so i dont foget also :) makes me smile to know i am not the only one who doesnt want to forget its on.

I have two of them, and the other one looks like this. I posted the photo of the one I believe to be the more current housing design, but I think the electronics inside are identical.

Yep, having the new design helps with the cooling if it is vented. Also, hopefully they have improved the cover for the four screws holding it place is not sufficient if you regularly unplug/plug when you opt to drive. They sent me a new cover under warranty when the other broke.

As for locating the wiring from the battery, I just zip-tied it next to the blower. When I need to hook it I just open the hood. No socks no oops ..... :biggrin:

Yep, having the new design helps with the cooling if it is vented. Also, hopefully they have improved the cover for the four screws holding it place is not sufficient if you regularly unplug/plug when you opt to drive. They sent me a new cover under warranty when the other broke.
It isn't vented but I suppose having the larger grip area helps with manhandling the unit. I don't bother unplugging mine from the wall when I go for a drive, I just unplug the charger from the extension cable.

Last edited:
It isn't vented but I suppose having the larger grip area helps with manhandling the unit. I don't bother unplugging mine from the wall when I go for a drive, I just unplug the extension cable.

Time will tell if it helps. For one would still be pulling holding the cover when one unplugs; and if the socket is tight, the issue is the same :wink:

I am sure if they get enough broken covers they will redisgn or reinforce it somehow.

I lost the other plug which connect to the battery. Can you please tell me which part is the +/- I need to modify the other part which connect to the battery terminal.

TIA

Good write as well. You can also swap out the double out to a single outlet with a switch so you wouldn't have to always unplug it from the wall when not in use just turn the switch off. But if this is your only outlet in the garage it may not be a good idea.

You can also add a analog 12v gauge next to the charger so you can see actual voltage of the battery/charger.

IMO - It makes a cleaner install to connect the wiring to the terminals suggested for jump starting in the engine compartment fuse panel. No need for extensions and the wire leaving the engine compartment slides easily between the gap in the trunk and fender.

IMO - It makes a cleaner install to connect the wiring to the terminals suggested for jump starting in the engine compartment fuse panel. No need for extensions and the wire leaving the engine compartment slides easily between the gap in the trunk and fender.

care to to a write up too? I would like to see this setup. I would consider moving mine over to the other place

Just remember if you have a cover car on car, you may not want the charging cord hanging over the paint. I know there is more than oneway to do this just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy.

I would like to see some photos with this setup. I've never jumped my NSX so I've only charged from the battery directly.
Just remember if you have a cover car on car, you may not want the charging cord hanging over the paint. I know there is more than oneway to do this just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy.
Good point, plus I like to keep all the doors and hatches shut so that I can activate the alarm system. I'm not sure if that's possible if you use the engine compartment.
Thanks, I've ordered a couple and look forward to trying them out.
Good luck and let me know how it goes!

care to to a write up too? I would like to see this setup. I would consider moving mine over to the other place

OK, I'll try:

First picture is the cord going into the engine bay (fits easily between the fender and trunk seam - with everything closed), second is the cord attached to the quick disconnect of the Battery Tender Jr, third is the cord disconnected, fourth is the attachment to the positive terminal and last is the connection to the ground. As you can see, all it takes is about an 8" tail from the fuse panel - that's it.

Attachments

• nsx battery tender 001.jpg
    nsx battery tender 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 944
  • nsx battery tender 002.jpg
    nsx battery tender 002.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 948
  • nsx battery tender 003.jpg
    nsx battery tender 003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 924
  • nsx battery tender 004.jpg
    nsx battery tender 004.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 935
  • nsx battery tender 005.jpg
    nsx battery tender 005.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 916
Last edited:
OK, I'll try:

First picture is the cord going into the engine bay (fits easily between the fender and trunk seam - with everything closed), second is the cord attached to the quick disconnect, third is the cord disconnected, fourth is the attachment to the positive terminal and last is the connection to the ground.

So yours is attached to the engine bay and not directly to the battery then?

Is there any real difference other than location?

So yours is attached to the engine bay and not directly to the battery then?

Is there any real difference other than location?

There's no difference in the performance of charging the battery that I know of - both work fine. Why Acura recommends jumping the car from the engine bay fuse block, I'm not sure :confused:.

Thanks for the writeup and pics, pgilliam1. Good job! I'd place a towel under the dangling cord so it doesn't touch the paint, and it looks like you have to open the hatch every time you want to disconnect/reconnect the charger? Other than that, it looks great!

Last edited:
OK, I'll try:

First picture is the cord going into the engine bay (fits easily between the fender and trunk seam - with everything closed), second is the cord attached to the quick disconnect of the Battery Tender Jr, third is the cord disconnected, fourth is the attachment to the positive terminal and last is the connection to the ground. As you can see, all it takes is about an 8" tail from the fuse panel - that's it.

To be honest this is not as elegant of a solution as the install set up by the OP.

This requires you to constantly open / close the hatch / engine cover, plus if you close the hatch / engine cover it places pressure on the cord. Aesthetically it also may cause the rubber cable to scratch the painted area in a very visible spot if the car is dirty. And if you accidentally move the car with it attached who knows what kind of damage may happen to the paint / cover / fuse box.

The OP's method of install is much cleaner and less visible. Plus it's a great opportunity to place corrosion protection pads and corrosion protection grease on the battery terminals while doing the install so there's no battery corrosion (I see too much of this in many cars, including some NSXs).

Last edited:
Why Acura recommends jumping the car from the engine bay fuse block, I'm not sure :confused:.

Probably because it's a lot more accessible than the battery, which is blocked by the spare tire. Also, there are some extremely hot components in the front compartment that can burn your skin if you accidentally touch them before the car cools down.

To be honest this is not as elegant of a solution as the install set up by the OP.

This requires you to constantly open / close the hatch / engine cover, plus if you close the hatch / engine cover it places pressure on the cord. Aesthetically it also may cause the rubber cable to scratch the painted area in a very visible spot if the car is dirty. And if you accidentally move the car with it attached who knows what kind of damage may happen to the paint / cover / fuse box.

The OP's method of install is much cleaner and less visible. Plus it's a great opportunity to place corrosion protection pads and corrosion protection grease on the battery terminals while doing the install so there's no battery corrosion (I see too much of this in many cars, including some NSXs).

I think his way suits some of us better who have aftermarket battery terminals. Unless there's another way to connect it to the front my terminal doesn't have the little nuts on the side to just slip it on so I'll have to install it in the engine bay... Had this thing for over a year but still have yet to install it.

Back