• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery Tender?

The factory NSX battery tender costs big bucks while you can pick up a branded Battery Tender at a Costco or auto parts store for under $40. What am I missing other than typical OEM parts like this are always priced higher? Will the less expensive ones work just as well?

Thanks. After reading through both threads, it seems like my current Battery Tender will work just fine. The dealer installed wiring option seems excessively complicated. I've connected my BT directly to the battery and snaked the cable back up through the back of the hood near the windshield wiper arm and then back down the side of the car. Seems to work fine.

Have used these on my cars....worked great for about $40..Walmart, Amazon etc
Plug into Cig lighter socket. Tells digitally on battery/charging level - no guessing.
Comes w/clamps + lighter socket...your choice on which way to go.

Schumacher has higher end models, but haven't tried.

Schumacher SP1297 3A 6V/12V Automatic Battery Maintainer

Last edited:
How long did you go without starting it? More than 90 days?
Well, the manual says you should start it every 90 days to charge the hybrid battery. I started it in January but forgot to put it in the right mode to charge. So I ran it for about 15 minutes, saw no increase in charge level and shut it off to figure out why there was no increase in charge. I figured out I’d failed to put it in the right mode for charging but never bothered to restart it again. So, the car sat from November 17 till early April with no hybrid battery charging. The battery charged back up with about 15 minutes of driving on the road after the winter slumber.

So, the car sat from November 17 till early April with no hybrid battery charging.

You are a gambler sir.

Realistically, it’s probably fine to go months like you did. But they put the fear of god into us not to let the high voltage battery ever die. Because there is no easy way to charge it back up if it does die. Would involve equipment being brought from American Honda and partial disassembly of the interior to access the pack.

They told us to start the car and run it for half an hour every 60 days.

You are a gambler sir.

Realistically, it’s probably fine to go months like you did. But they put the fear of god into us not to let the high voltage battery ever die. Because there is no easy way to charge it back up if it does die. Would involve equipment being brought from American Honda and partial disassembly of the interior to access the pack.

thats the truth. flying a technician out to the car to get it restarted etc etc.

You are a gambler sir.

This is good advice.

Where is the hybrid battery disconnect switch or are you sworn to secrecy?:biggrin:

Initially a lot of the NC1s sat on dealer showroom floors and they didn't really charge the 12v battery as recommended. My battery ended up dying and caused all sorts of problems beforehand that they couldn't solve. They obviously replaced it when it had to be towed in.

While I was waiting for my Lemon Law hearing, I didn't even open the door to my car for eight months. I was expecting the battery to be dead when I had to return it, but it started right up. So who knows what the answer is.

I would recommend against using the cigarette lighter as a connection for a battery tender. They are unreliable. There is no mechanism for keeping them connected other than a somewhat tight fit. So what can happen is that the device begins to retract and the electrical connection become unstable or the impedance increases substantially resulting in heat and no effective charging. What ever system you use make it a hard connection. In the old days with my 2001 where I used a Lithium battery I had a proprietary trickle charger that connected directly to the battery. There was a cable that ran towards the front of the car giving access without opening the hood. You could rig something like that. The nice thing about the OEM charger is that it comes with a connector that was made for our cars. It is a relatively simple hookup and it is fused as well for protection. Id does require entrance via the passenger door or window. You can find the CTEK charger but it will not come with the proprietary connection.

Back