• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBSC CA smog legal?

Quick question...

is the BBSC california smog legal? both visually/physically? I wanna get the most power out of my X without having to deal with going "around" the law.

Not at this time although some have squeaked by as the blower as a cert # stamped on it from another registration.

With my direct and considerable experience on this topic, albeit with a single car (my own), a BBSC will NOT pass CA smog. I tested three times and failed each test by the sniffer sometimes by 2X the allowable limit which gives you the distinction of being termed a "gross polluter".

I believe the issue is with the EGR valve which is controlled by the ECU - who is being fooled by the ss box and is therefore most likely out of position.

I did pass by swapping back in the facory injectors and disconnecting the ss box. Mechanically, the SC was completely in tact. Some have stated that the car may have passed simply by disconnecting the SS box and leaving the larger injectors. I don't know if this would work or not.

Regarding "supercharged's" comment, unless you are using an aftermarket ECU, there's no way to change a/f in closed loop. Please read up before providing inaccurate advice.

KP - that's what I am doing, its an option. But perhaps that was not the intent of the original question so I will withdraw my experience.

Last edited:
Supercharged,

I owe you an apology for my remark. I'm sorry. Too many hours at work and I come home to the forum and I'm in attack mode. Shame on me.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if you can pass smog with the aftermarket engine management. As you indicated, you can adjust a/f but I would think that the egr valve operation would present a potential problem. With the stock ECU, the egr position is both controlled AND monitored. So, for example, if you try to bypass the egr, the ecu will toss a fault code... a sure way to fail the test. In your scenario, you have the luxury of mankeying with the EGR without the fault code.

Anyway, your experiences in trying to pass smog are both welcomed and appreciated. I for one, am hungry to learn more options. (My only original point is that the new reader here should not be misled to believe that he/she can control a/f with anything short of a replacement of engine management electronics.)

Agreed, it is not simple and my first reply was too simplistic.
To answer your questions accurately I will need to speak to the tuners; I think you identified the major issues well, I'll see if I can get a more accurate response,,,, no harm, no foul:eek:

I did pass by swapping back in the factory injectors and disconnecting the ss box. Mechanically, the SC was completely in tact. Some have stated that the car may have passed simply by disconnecting the SS box and leaving the larger injectors.

Is this as simple as un-plugging the two multi-pin connectors?

On a different but somewhat related (?) topic, to reset the ECU we pull the clock fuse for a couple of minutes. (Actually may not require that long, but during that time period, I'm off tinkering with something else.) Hypothetical question - would trying to start the car w/o the clock fuse back in, would this be a simple and effective anti-theft device or will the ECU become damaged?

If the clock fuse provides power for ONLY the memory retention in the ECU (and no other hardware in the ECU), then this will not prevent the engine from starting because the ECU will probably revert to its "limp home" mode which does not require its internal microprocessor to be functional. Limp home mode is limited to 4000 RPM and probably has other major limitations (such as open loop only, limited sensor usage).

Since these are all guesses, it's up to you Andy to try it out and tell us the outcome!

If the clock fuse provides power for ONLY the memory retention in the ECU (and no other hardware in the ECU).....

The key word as at the very beginning of this word string - "If". I do not have electrical service manuals for the NSX, but me thinks that the clock fuse controls more than just memory functions.....unless the ECU derives power via its wiring harness from a different direction to the battery.

Since these are all guesses, it's up to you Andy to try it out and tell us the outcome!

Would you be willing to replace my ECU if it emits smoke? :) Now that I think about it, if the clock were to blow the fuse, this would have the same effect, so if Tochigi didn't think this would be detrimental to the ECU, than perhaps that is why it is on a shared circuit with the clock (and I think one or two other low amp devices). Therefore, if the ECU reverts to "limp home" mode this would not be such an effective anti-theft device.

If it wasn't 9 years ago it sure as hell isn't now.

I am considering purchasing a BBSC that is for sale on the market section, I would be willing to purchase a CTSC but I like the feature of the BBSC that is being sold, it has a water cooling system and AEM stand alone which I think the CTSC does not and as far as I understand it is better to have a stand alone for tuning.
Feel free to chime in as I would like to make the right decision on my purchase, I can always wait for a CTSC to pop up in the market section.:smile:

Back