• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

bbsc worth it or not

What do you guys think of the Batch supercharger? How much hp does it make? Is there any lag? What gives? Is it good or lots of problems?

it's just another way to skin the cat. this has been discussed many many times. only issue that may be germaine at this point is if you need hardware support... the bearings have been sourced, and i'm not sure what else could break, but that's what i'd worry about. look for my thread under low comp bbsc 8 psi for a recent dyno.

if you plan on getting this and having mark basch walk you through an install you might be waiting a while, since he's usually busy. best bet is download the pdf install instructions.

IDK. if I was limited on budget.. for $5k you can get a pretty damn nice bbsc setup including the aftercooler most likely. without the aftercooler, i'm seeing them go in the 2500-3500 range.. which for an nsx.. is a pretty good price to his 360 rwhp...

i guess the best question is what's your goal.

Worth $2,500.00 you mean? I'll assume that you're asking primarily about the one in the classifieds. I thought about buying it, mainly for parts, earlier this morning.
I have the BBSC with the NOVI2000 instead of the NOVI1000 on my NSX, managed by the AEM FIC vice the Split Second box. I did not install it and it runs around 9lbs. The PO had shipped the car to Mark Basch who installed the set-up. The car has headers and exhaust and has a conservative 350 rwhp tune on it.
I have put about 1200 miles on it in the last month alone and I like it a lot. I like the hardware visible under the back glass (no clamshell) and especially the blower mounted right behind my ear which makes a wonderful sound anytime off idle. At idle, it has the blower rattle that I believe is pretty common when warmed up. I'd bet most if not all do too, but I don't mind. To me this is the sound of impending boost. :smile:
If I were you I'd send Raffi some money real fast. I don't think that it will last long at that price and sounds like the best bang for the NSX buck that I've seen in a while. $2,500 is a steal for the HP, and I'd buy the AEM FIC too to lock it down- and then demil the SS box with a few well placed rounds. I feel that the SS box is what has gotten MB vilified and I have faith in his design.
My .02, hope this helps!

I wish the AEM FIC was around when I had my car cause I would probably still have it.

If you can get the set-up for $2500, that is great deal. Spend the money on a real AEM if you are OBD1 or the AEM FIC if you are OBD2. Get a good tune and you should be OK. I think the CTSC are probably more fun with the newer units making a lot more TQ and relatively the same RWHP, but they will cost you $12,000!

i wish the aem fic was around when i had my car cause i would probably still have it.

If you can get the set-up for $2500, that is great deal. Spend the money on a real aem if you are obd1 or the aem fic if you are obd2. Get a good tune and you should be ok. I think the ctsc are probably more fun with the newer units making a lot more tq and relatively the same rwhp, but they will cost you $12,000!

+3.

I wish the AEM FIC was around when I had my car cause I would probably still have it.

If you can get the set-up for $2500, that is great deal. Spend the money on a real AEM if you are OBD1 or the AEM FIC if you are OBD2. Get a good tune and you should be OK. I think the CTSC are probably more fun with the newer units making a lot more TQ and relatively the same RWHP, but they will cost you $12,000!
Today DaBeast has an brand new AEM FIC for $500 in the classifieds.
3K for a turnkey deal...and they're both still there? Are you kidding me?
That's a fo' sho' sign that the economy is in the dumper!

I mostly track the car so I wouldnt want power to come on hard through the corners say like a big turbo. Im looking for more grunt out of corners. Will this do it or is this more of a drag race improvement?

I mostly track the car so I wouldnt want power to come on hard through the corners say like a big turbo. Im looking for more grunt out of corners. Will this do it or is this more of a drag race improvement?
I would think that this would be the ticket unless you are looking for really big HP- then the turbo would be the way to go. I find the boost both linear and impressive. In fact I think that the transition to VTEC would be a bigger concern in mid-corner.
A ~20% (~50hp) increase on the NSX for 3K? It's a modest HP increase but really changes the car.
For 3K?????

I've always thought of turbo's as big tq monsters that are better suited for the drag strip, a supercharger is always ready and the power is mostly up top which is where you are on a track.

Well I used to have the Basch but have since moved to a Gruppe M. IMHO, the Basch has real linear power, sure it makes good horse power; but you really don't feel it. You only really realize it when you are playing around against someone. Real linear, predictable....but somewhat boring.

As far as the Gruppe M (again IMHO) it's got a lot of low end grunt and pulls pretty hard to me. And it feels like it continues to pull up top.

Either way both units are good; it's just what you're looking for in power. The BBSC is predictable; you'll know power is coming on in the high RPM's and it's always going to be like that. It pulls like stock; and some people like that; but I'm not one of them; maybe in a S2000 cause of the 9K redline but not so much in a NSX.

Also if you go BBSC make sure you get headers. That made a heck of a difference to me with and without the header.

All in all; if you can get the BBSC for cheap; I'd do it. I will also say that I have had bearings fail but my machinist found them for me pretty easily.

Well I used to have the Basch but have since moved to a Gruppe M. IMHO, the Basch has real linear power, sure it makes good horse power; but you really don't feel it. You only really realize it when you are playing around against someone. Real linear, predictable....but somewhat boring.

How much HP/TQ were you making? Mine felt nothing like stock. It was crazy. It was hard to shift well from 1-2 because the tach was climbing so fast. Plus I had around 300 RWTQ at 8,000 RPM, which is more than a Gruppe M or CTSC. I would say from 4,000-8,000 I had more TQ than either system. It pulled hard.

From what I've learned about centrifugal sc setups is that it actually makes the highest hp numbers at redline.. Which means that the twin screw actually is the "linear" setup whereas the centrifugal will actually create more torque and hp as the rpms climb.

Correct me if I'm wrong

That's about right, centrifugal compressor (centrifugal superchargers and turbos) boost pressure increases with the square of compressor speed (within its operating range). Other factors in the system influence this. Centrifugal superchargers and turbos are basically the same on the compressor side, but the superchargers are driven by a belt or gears while a turbo is driven by an exhaust turbine. Since centrifugal superchargers are driven in direct proportion to engine speed, the boost they produce rises roughly the square of the engine speed - really this is oversimplified as other factors are involved in the real world, but for comparison purposes it's close. Turbos produce boost in the same fashion, except they are not directly coupled to engine speed. They are free to spin as fast as they can up to the point the wastegate starts to open - a properly tuned engine system with a turbo can spin the turbo up to max operating speed at fairly low engine speeds which explains why turbos produce monster torque. Positive displacement superchargers produce boost much more linearly across the board and thus produce a far better low end power - downside is that they're bulkier and more difficult to fit into tight engine bays, more expensive, and typically less efficient than centrifugal compressors (though there are some very efficient twin screw units).

How much HP/TQ were you making? Mine felt nothing like stock. It was crazy. It was hard to shift well from 1-2 because the tach was climbing so fast. Plus I had around 300 RWTQ at 8,000 RPM, which is more than a Gruppe M or CTSC. I would say from 4,000-8,000 I had more TQ than either system. It pulled hard.

Really?!?! I was only run five psi. I made 320 rwhp; I don't remember my RWTQ numbers though. When I said "stock" I meant how it was linear like stock. Down low my Gruppe-M would run all over my old setup. But this is all based on the butt dyno.

Really?!?! I was only run five psi. I made 320 rwhp; I don't remember my RWTQ numbers though. When I said "stock" I meant how it was linear like stock. Down low my Gruppe-M would run all over my old setup. But this is all based on the butt dyno.

I had 412RWHP @ 10psi. It was a rocket.

At least in my case, when I say the BBSC is linear I mean that as the rpms rise the boost rises and the power rises...just like a stock engine and basically in a straight line. Turbo's have a 'bowing' power curve from what I've seen. It's all good though, power = fun no matter how you get it :D

I had 412RWHP @ 10psi. It was a rocket.

My car was making 427 with your setup...and they had to detune it from 7k-8k because I was targetting 400 and it was making me nervous :D. The original tune was 470 and, besides other issues with the tune, it was scary :eek: fast.

At least in my case, when I say the BBSC is linear I mean that as the rpms rise the boost rises and the power rises...just like a stock engine and basically in a straight line. Turbo's have a 'bowing' power curve from what I've seen. It's all good though, power = fun no matter how you get it :D

My car was making 427 with your setup...and they had to detune it from 7k-8k because I was targeting 400 and it was making me nervous :D. The original tune was 470 and, besides other issues with the tune, it was scary :eek: fast.

470! I cannot imagine the car with that much power. It would be scary! What are you running now?

Last edited:
470! I cannot imagine the car with that much power. It would be scary! What are you running now?

I'm hitting 426 at 8.5psi... and woooooooooo what fun it is! I'm already planning that if/when the motor goes... 13-14 psi ought to net me 500 rwhp... tee hee.

I'm hitting 426 at 8.5psi... and woooooooooo what fun it is! I'm already planning that if/when the motor goes... 13-14 psi ought to net me 500 rwhp... tee hee.

Keep in mind I had a low compression motor at 10psi. 500rwhp would be insane with a BBSC.

well, within a couple weeks factorynsxtech will have the kit that he purchased from me.. he got a ridiculous deal for the kit. Im sure that he will be able to tell us how the novi 1000 reacts to rpms... lol...

congratulations to factorynsxtech i sold the kit and now have the nsx for sale because i have a daily driver and my wife said if i get rid of the nsx i will be "allowed" to get my new toy....

heres a hint regarding my new toy, see if you can guess what it is with this riddle..

it rhymes with ucati and starts with a d....

lol..

im getting a pearl white ducati 1198.

http://ninja250r.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/ducati-1198-4.jpg

what do you guys think/./.././

Keep in mind I had a low compression motor at 10psi. 500rwhp would be insane with a BBSC.

I also have low compression, though it is with cast pistons. 9.5:1

If I blow the motor maybe i'll go to 9.2. whatever the motor builder (either Basch or SOS)

Ta has a kit that he bought from Wayne up for sale it is a Novi 2000. Ta has a buyer a $3,000. I think it is a done deal
My 97 makes 392Hp with a 10 lb pulley on it. The power comes on very even and the big hp is in the upper RPM range.

Ta is going to put my NOVI 1000 kit in his stock 97 and I am sure he will be happy with that.

I am heading out to see Ross at Stmpo and we are putting a T-3 Turbo on mine and looking for around 500Hp. I don't drive it that hard but I like the torque curve I saw on his dyno run compared to mine. I will let you know how it works out.
I have run the BBSC for about 20000 miles now. I am now having an error code of 0330 most days driving it. I am told it is a knock sensor code.
If any one has any info on that code please help.
I am running a fic.

Oh, 255-260...:) I'm planning to throw it back on with the 8psi pulley when I move/June. That way I can tune all the way through the rpm band without blowing up the engine...hopefully :D

Oh, 255-260...:) I'm planning to throw it back on with the 8psi pulley when I move/June. That way I can tune all the way through the rpm band without blowing up the engine...hopefully :D

You might want to try the AEM FIC.

Back