• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Be gentle when you handcuff drug smuggling illegals

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/25/border-agent-jaile-arrest-teen-drug-smuggler/

A U.S. Border Patrol agent has been sentenced to two years in prison for improperly lifting the arms of a 15-year-old drug smuggling suspect while handcuffed — in what the Justice Department called a deprivation of the teenager’s constitutional right to be free from the use of unreasonable force.

Agent Jesus E. Diaz Jr. was named in a November 2009 federal grand jury indictment with deprivation of rights under color of law during an October 2008 arrest near the Rio Grande in Eagle Pass, Texas, in response to a report that illegal immigrants had crossed the river with bundles of drugs.

In a prosecution sought by the Mexican government and obtained after the suspected smuggler was given immunity to testify against the agent, Diaz was sentenced last week by U.S. District Judge Alia Moses Ludlum in San Antonio. The Mexican consulate in Eagle Pass had filed a formal written complaint just hours after the arrest, alleging that the teenager had been beaten.

Defense attorneys argued that there were no injuries or bruises on the suspected smuggler’s lower arms where the handcuffs had been placed nor any bruising resulting from an alleged knee on his back. Photos showed the only marks on his body came from the straps of the pack he carried containing the suspected drugs, they said.

Border Patrol agents found more than 150 pounds of marijuana at the arrest site.

**FILE** An unidentified man in Mexico walks near a footbridge across the Rio Grande connecting the United States and Mexico near Acala, Texas, on Aug. 4, 2010. The bridge is one of two structures at opposite ends of a towering $2.4 billion west Texas stretch of steel border fence designed to block illegal entry. Though the International Boundary and Water Commission owns the bridges, which it calls grade control structures, both are unguarded paths into the United States from Mexico. (Associated Press)The defense claimed that the smuggling suspect was handcuffed because he was uncooperative and resisted arrest, and that the agent had lifted his arms to force him to the ground — a near-universal police technique — while the other agents looked for the drugs.

The allegations against Diaz, 31, a seven-year veteran of the Border Patrol, initially were investigated by Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Office of Professional Responsibility, which cleared the agent of any wrongdoing.

But the Internal Affairs Division at U.S. Customs and Border Protection ruled differently nearly a year later and, ultimately, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of Texas brought charges.

The Law Enforcement Officers Advocates Council said the government’s case was “based on false testimony that is contradicted by the facts.”

In a statement, the council said that because the arrest took place at about 2 a.m., darkness would have made it impossible for the government’s witnesses to have seen whether any mistreatment took place. It said Marcos Ramos, the Border Patrol agent who stood next to Diaz, testified that he did not see any mistreatment of the smuggling suspect.

The council said other witnesses made contradictory claims and some later admitted to having perjured themselves. Such admissions, the council said, were ignored by the court and the government. It also said that probationary agents who claimed to have witnessed the assault raised no objections during the incident and failed to notify an on-duty supervisor until hours later.

“Instead, they went off-duty to a local ‘Whataburger’ restaurant, got their stories straight and reported it hours later to an off-duty supervisor at his home,” the council said. “Then the ‘witnesses’ went back to the station and reported their allegations.”

The council also noted that the teenager claimed no injuries in court other than sore shoulders, which the council attributed to “the weight of the drug load, approximately 75 pounds, he carried across the border.”

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of Texas, which brought the charges, is the same office that in February 2006 — under U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton — prosecuted Border Patrol Agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean after they shot a drug-smuggling suspect, Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila, in the buttocks as he tried to flee back into Mexico after abandoning a van filled with 800 pounds of marijuana. Aldrete-Davila also was given immunity in the case and testified against the agents.

Agents Ramos and Compean were convicted and sentenced to 11 and 12 years in prison, respectively.

President George W. Bush commuted the sentences in 2009 after they had served two years.

The same prosecutors also charged Edwards County Deputy Sheriff Gilmer Hernandez in 2005 with violating the civil rights of a Mexican criminal alien after he shot out the tires of a van filled with illegals as it tried to run him over. One of the illegal immigrants in the van was hit with bullet fragments.

they shouldnt be given the same rights as real americans.

since they are illegals they shouldnt even be given a phone call.

and since they were transporting drugs one foot and one hand cut off and sent home.

lets see them hobble home.

in Thailand they would crusify you in the middle of the town ( not kidding )

Last edited:
Watch them Illegals! they will eat us all like Zombies! ... jk

===

On a serious note, this case is extremely complicated ... I am wondering if it was based in footage? like, police brutality involved?

A human it's a human, regardless color, race, country of origin, legal status etc, .... perhaps footage was enough to determine that it was abuse of power?

Brutality is brutality, regardless who crosses the line.

Oscar

I disagree.

Unnecessary brutality is uncalled for.

But aggressive assertiveness IS called for when you are ARRESTING a DRUG SMUGGLER who also happens to be an ILLEGAL alien. These are individuals acting illegally in a country they are illegally inhabiting in order to sell illegal goods.

Anyone who believes that we should extend these individuals a host of civilian rights should be forced to carry out the same crime in foreign countries and see what it earns you. It amazes me how many bleeding hearts still don't understand the element of what it means to be ILLEGAL.

Excuse me while I pull my hair out. (goes and bangs his head against the wall)

Watch them Illegals! they will eat us all like Zombies! ... jk

===

On a serious note, this case is extremely complicated ... I am wondering if it was based in footage? like, police brutality involved?

A human it's a human, regardless color, race, country of origin, legal status etc, .... perhaps footage was enough to determine that it was abuse of power?

Brutality is brutality, regardless who crosses the line.

Oscar

This is true

What part of illegal don't people understand? This was an illegal alien transporting illegal drugs into our country. He discarded his rights as soon as he crossed the Rio Grande. I'm with Shawn on this one, maybe if we start hacking feet off and sending them back hobbling some of this crazy bullshit will stop.

Heard about this on Glenn Beck this morning..

Giving a drug smuggler immunity for testimony is just wrong ...:rolleyes:

What part of illegal don't people understand? This was an illegal alien transporting illegal drugs into our country. He discarded his rights as soon as he crossed the Rio Grande. I'm with Shawn on this one, maybe if we start hacking feet off and sending them back hobbling some of this crazy bullshit will stop.

I completely agree. It would be one thing if he was just one of the thousands of illegals crossing to pursue real work, sending money back to his family. This guy was bringing drugs into our country, the one our ancestors worked to build and came here legally. This infuriates me, I would be more than happy to swing the hatchet :mad:

Again, yes, the 15 year old little kid was wrong, absolutely wrong, probably a 5'4" 120lb's semi adult, YES HE WAS WRONG, and must be punished, but brutality and abuse of power are unacceptable, WTF, are we in Nazi Germany now??

The right thing is to handcuff, put him on the van, process, SHIP IT BACK, OVER.

It's un-american to be barbaric and abusive.

Oscar

Last edited:
I cant believe how people think that illegals are not human. Its almost like some of you think that only some people have rights and others do not. We are all humans and we all have the right to live on earth. Come on people when are we all going to see each other as equals and not as enemies.

"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one."
John Lennon

I cant believe how people think that illegals are not human. Its almost like some of you think that only some people have rights and others do not. We are all humans and we all have the right to live on earth. Come on people when are we all going to see each other as equals and not as enemies.

"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one."
John Lennon

So he has the right to come into our country illegally, bringing in drugs and because he gets a sore shoulder one of our legal citizens working to protect the border from criminals is now one.

Sometimes I wonder how such an intelligent and successful group of people could have such a lack of common sense when it comes to matters like this. (Not specifically talking to you Vamp)

The charge was for unnecessary force, not an illegal arrest. If it were the case that he was getting shot at, I'd be totally find at shooting at him even if he was 6 years olod.

However, when you're handcuffing a 15 year old, and you're 230 lb fat cop along with all his buddies, there is no need to try and break his arms in the process.

This actually does a diservice to the cause of keeping illegal drug smugglers out.

So he has the right to come into our country illegally, bringing in drugs and because he gets a sore shoulder one of our legal citizens working to protect the border from criminals is now one.

Sometimes I wonder how such an intelligent and successful group of people could have such a lack of common sense when it comes to matters like this. (Not specifically talking to you Vamp)

The lack of common sense goes to both sides of the debate.

Not gentle, just PROFESSIONAL

NO one is questioning the fact that this minor was an illegal carrying non legal drugs, what some here are questioning is the unnecessary usage of force that determined the outcome of this case (final verdict).

God knows what kind of footage they have, or whatever ..... nsxotic911 couldn't have said better.

Ironic is the usage of words such "lack of common sense" by nsxtcy85 ...... when the actual "lack of common sense" is what put this poor Border Police man in jail.

Hey, but we all have the rights to disagree no? In the end of the day what matters is what one can believe about the world, life, humanity and other people.

Oscar

Just something to think about, and I can't tell you what the truth is because I wasn't there...

Nothing ever sounds on the news or even in court the same way it sounded out there on the street the way it actually happened. On the news, suspects never meant to hurt anyone when they pulled a gun out and pointed it at someone, or shot at the cops. Suspects used proper language in a respectful tone, and any cop who says they were called a mother****er and had blood spit in their mouth as they were saying "stop resisting" must be lying and hiding behind his badge.

On the other hand, in the news, the cops sometimes any deny use of force until the video comes out, sometimes shoot the wrong guy and try to cover it up, and any number of other things you can probably find in a ten second google search nowadays. My own department once had to fire a guy because he offered to let a shoplifter go if she slept with him.

Brutality has to be judged by the circumstances, which are hard to understand if you don't have violence directed at you up close and personal. Again, I wasn't there so I don't know if it was right or wrong this time. However, the folks here are generally sensible, polite, respectable people. If you were to get yanked out a window and slammed down on the ground for a burned out brake light, it's a far different story from a DUI who leads cops on a miles long chase and gets out to fight when he wrecks his car.

The border issue is so politicized now that I don't think anyone will ever know the truth.

My brother-in-law quit the border patrol after a fellow officer was sentenced to two years in jail for shooting a drug smuggler that pulled a weapon on him....

John Lennon

I don't remember reading he was shot in the head or beat within an inch of his life? Seems to me we did honor the fact he has rights, we just didn't treat him with white gloves. Do I think some people have more rights than others? damn straight. Am I better then drug dealers, rapists, and murderers? Absolutely. Some ass clown comes into our country illegally to sell drugs, and he gets immunity to testify against a citizen who gets 2 years for doing their job. BS.

I say let em live, obviously don't curb stomp em or beat em to death, but I see no problem with an officer using force to subdue a criminal. Get them out of this country, and be sure to hit em with the door a few times on the way out.

Being first generation American, I have different views/opinions when it comes to illegal immigration. On one hand, yes it is ILLEGAL, to come here illegally. There are a lot of illegal aliens that only want to bring drugs and create crime. On the other hand, there are people that want to come here to work and pursue a better life.

People will say, why don't they come here legally like countless of immigrants that came here legally before them. The problem is it's not as easy as simply submitting an application, like many think it is. It's just the way the system is set up.

What I have a beef with, is the fact that these immigrants now don't assimilate to our culture. There's nothing wrong with showing pride for your culture, but you do have to show respect to your new home/host country. You don't see that anymore. It's not just Mexicans, but all immigrants. We have to go out of our way to accommodate them, when it should be the other way around.

My parents came here illegally decades ago, searching for a better life. Coming from one of the poorest parts in Mexico, they are way better off now. They applied and received their legal status a few years after they came here, have worked all their lives, paid taxes, and raised 4 children as best they could. My brother served the Marine Corps and is in graduate school right now. I'm coming up on 12 years of service to the Corps and Air Force, soon to go back to school.

So yeah, I sympathize with all immigrants, legal or otherwise. My paternal grandfather came to the US decades ago on a guest worker program, I don't know why they don't implement something similar again. After he was done, he went back home.

One other thing that most people don't know is that the drug cartels are now controlling most if not all of the illegal alien smuggling. From my understanding, the price to get smuggled in is substantially high, in the thousands of dollars. The other option they are given is to pay a lower fee, but they are used as mules and have to smuggle drugs for the cartel. Don't be quick to judge this kid as some hardcore drug dealer/smuggler.

Back