• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it wrong to be jealous of drug addicts?

LMR

Legendary Member
Saw this on another forum and thought the same thing as he does. I had to put myself in rehab because of my "mod addiction" on my NSX. I finally stopped going to the for sale section here everyday and refreshing every hour. Anyways here's the post from him.

I figure with current obsessions:

Cars-- generally of the fun quick
variety
Trucks-- generally of the off road/expedition type
Tools-- spawned
by the above to "hobbies"
Cameras-- again originally a result of the first
two "hobbies"

That it may have been better financially to take on a drug
habit.

I vowed to only refer to these as an obsession a while back, but
I have often said I think it would be better to be addicted to crack.

Now hear me out. Drug addictions have support groups to help you get off
of it. All of the above only have support groups to help you to continue that
addiction. Also I'm pretty sure the high lasts longer from most drugs (never
tested the theory) than with a new car part. When you buy a new part its shinny
and fun and then with in a few minutes you realize you either need: another part
to make it work, a tool to do that perfect install, a new lens to take that
perfect picture to show off to the other addicts and pushers on the forum, and
very often a combination of all of the above.

When will someone open a
modifiers anonymous to help people like me?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

So does anyone else feel this way? <!-- / message -->

Ehhh, people make mistakes. Sometimes people get too involved with their cars/hobbies, and they just need to step back. With heavy drugs...simply taking a step back isn't always enough.

In other words, in my opinion, the logic of the two comparisons isn't all there, but it could work. Just don't make the assumption that car addicts deserve the same sympathy/empathy as drug addicts. Even with the dangers of driving, your life isn't at such a risk as theirs, and you are at a much greater control than a severely addicted drug addict.

Hummm, I had no idea that I was an addict! LOL:biggrin:.
My brother did make a statement "you're obsessed", and I thought I was just awesome :confused:.

Lets remember one important distinction. Drugs wreck lives. Not only that of the addict but often those closest to the addict such as parents, spouses, and worst of all, innocent children. I'm sure the above analogy was not written with cold hearted intent. However, it is likely to offend more than a few people on this site whose lives have been seriously impacted by drug addiction.

First off, there is "NO" rehab for modding. Let me make this crystal clear, Modding "is" rehab. :wink: It is the best therapy available. I'd rather spend it on my car that on a shrink.

I have always gone by this rule.... "If you can afford it, it's a hobby. If you can't afford it, it's an addiction". As of right now I'm an addict.

[QUOTE
My brother did make a statement "you're obsessed", and I thought I was just awesome :confused:.[/QUOTE]

LMAO

Hummm, I had no idea that I was an addict! LOL:biggrin:.
My brother did make a statement "you're obsessed", and I thought I was just awesome :confused:.

my wife says the same thing about Prime, And I usually just smile and say yes.
I don't think the op was serious in his posting. I just think he was comparing the modding addiction to that of a drug addict. I know I can relate. I'm spend more time on Prime then any other site, guess that makes me a Prime-addict.

I get on Prime when I can pry my wife off Facebook.:rolleyes:
my wife says the same thing about Prime, And I usually just smile and say yes.
I don't think the op was serious in his posting. I just think he was comparing the modding addiction to that of a drug addict. I know I can relate. I'm spend more time on Prime then any other site, guess that makes me a Prime-addict.

Back