• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Behind the Wheel of Acura’s Latest Incarnation of the $156K NSX ‘Supercar’

Thanks for the link (I'll take all the info I can get), but I agree with BamaFan-- waste of a test drive, and potentially counter-productive.

It's like sending a college kid used to Top Ramen to compare/contrast Michelin rated restaurants. It is so far out of their frame of reference that they can't be expected to offer opinions that are relevant to target customers. "I guess the food was good, but I still can't believe they don't include a salad with a $45 entree."

You don't have to be able to afford an NSX to write a useful review, but you gotta at least try to put yourself in the shoes of a possible buyer.

HotHonda, thanks for sharing. I found the engineers comment that there is a counter that tracks the number of time launch control is used and that after 400 events, it recommends replacing the clutch. Guess like other exotics, you have to pay to play.

Cool video. Anyone familiar with the track who can comment on corner entry/exit speeds or provide other color? Driver probably not pushing it and seemed to be taking the fun way around and not the fast way around, but still looks pretty fun and fast!

Can anyone chime on how many launches other supercars can do before replacing the clutch? Especially the 911 Turbo...

Personally, I can't imagine doing >400 literal launch-controls over the life of the car. Jack rabbit starts, yes. Launch control, no.

For cars with launch control, my annual pattern looks like: 15, 5, 3, 3, 1, 1, 0, 0. It's a cool thing to do a couple of times yourself, and then as a "demo" for people you are showing the car to.

I was an early GT-R owner, had tried out launch control 3-4 times. I had a transmission failure (NOT during an LC) and had a big fight with Nissan to get tranny fixed under warranty. As long as we are NOT in that neighborhood, I'm a happy camper.

The LFA has a limit (can't recall the number), after which the dealer needs to look at the car and if ok, will reset it. You also had to put 310 miles on the car prior to using the function. It also required a multi step sequence to use and a 10 minute cool off period between uses.

the track with the woman cursing like a sailor is not LRP...I don't recognize it.

Can anyone chime on how many launches other supercars can do before replacing the clutch? Especially the 911 Turbo...

i don't have an answer to that question, but you should enjoy this video. they ran 50 launches back-to-back:

https://youtu.be/A5DRCTW-Q7o

- - - Updated - - -

Porsche says the clutches are "lifetime parts" and good for "countless standing starts using launch control".

the clutches in the Ferrari 458 are also considered lifetime parts, and never need to be changed...

I believe that is Honda's track close to their plant in Ohio which is hosting dealer personnel getting acquainted with the new NSX.

that makes sense...

i don't have an answer to that question, but you should enjoy this video. they ran 50 launches back-to-back:

https://youtu.be/A5DRCTW-Q7o

- - - Updated - - -

Porsche says the clutches are "lifetime parts" and good for "countless standing starts using launch control".

the clutches in the Ferrari 458 are also considered lifetime parts, and never need to be changed...

This is why I'm curious in particular for the intervals recommended for the 911 Turbo especially. They make a lifetime claim, but I really doubt those 50 or 61 launches didn't dramatically shorten the "lifetime" claim...

This is why I'm curious in particular for the intervals recommended for the 911 Turbo especially. They make a lifetime claim, but I really doubt those 50 or 61 launches didn't dramatically shorten the "lifetime" claim...

honestly, i don't doubt it at all.

i'm absolutely no Porsche 911 expert, but i've never known or heard of any clutch problems with modern 911's. and knowing what i know about how the Germans build performance cars these days, i wouldn't doubt them if they said it could do 500 back-to-back starts...

I'll bet you guys $1 that when Porsche says "the clutch is a lifetime part," they do NOT mean "if it goes out in year 10, we will replace for free." Rather, if you do 500 Launch Controls in year one and destroy the clutch they will say "that is designed as a lifetime part that you must have destroyed via abuse. No Warranty coverage for you."

Thanks for the link (I'll take all the info I can get), but I agree with BamaFan-- waste of a test drive, and potentially counter-productive.

It's like sending a college kid used to Top Ramen to compare/contrast Michelin rated restaurants. It is so far out of their frame of reference that they can't be expected to offer opinions that are relevant to target customers. "I guess the food was good, but I still can't believe they don't include a salad with a $45 entree."

You don't have to be able to afford an NSX to write a useful review, but you gotta at least try to put yourself in the shoes of a possible buyer.

Don't be so dense. By inviting her for a test drive Honda got ABC/Disney to write a mainstream article about "Acura's $156,000 car". Acura just raised their brand's status with ABC News readers who may consider an MDX in the future.

Although I agree with you it was a laughable review. I especially liked the line where she says "I would think twice before heading out to my nearby Whole Foods". More status signaling.

Don't be so dense. By inviting her for a test drive Honda got ABC/Disney to write a mainstream article about "Acura's $156,000 car". Acura just raised their brand's status with ABC News readers who may consider an MDX in the future.

Although I agree with you it was a laughable review. I especially liked the line where she says "I would think twice before heading out to my nearby Whole Foods". More status signaling.

+1

Looks around 4 seconds without and around 3 seconds with launch control.

As there is a counter for LC runs I'm pretty sure to get the dealer that number out of the car before I fix the deal. But thinking negative maybe the dealer resets that number before he puts the car up for sale.

The argument of the German car makers including Porsche about lifttime fillings goes likes this: it's not obligatory to change lifetime oils. At least if the gearbox breaks it gets new oil (and filters!) automatically or have a look at the newest models in our showroom. Been there - done that. It has been discussed deeply in many forums and the consensus is to change these lifetime oild periodically. Lifetime is a BS argument.

Back