• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Coilovers for under a grand?

I hate to admit it, but my car is too low. It is starting to be a problem.

So I want some inexpensive coilovers for street use only. No kw3 for me.

So I am looking for opinions on megan racing, d2 and other options.

thanks

Im in the same situation as you. I am really leaning toward the ark dt-p coilovers. However i really want an even or front biased spring rate.

I am really curious about the megans. I would like someone who has them to give a 100% honest assessment of them. I hate it when people say something is good only because they dont want to tell themselves that what they have sucks.

Last edited:
I hate to admit it, but my car is too low. It is starting to be a problem.

So I want some inexpensive coilovers for street use only. No kw3 for me.

So I am looking for opinions on megan racing, d2 and other options.

thanks

I know there are a few people running Buddy Club, don't know how good they are but I think just north of 1k. The benefit of them is that if you ever decide you want Ravi's air suspension then he already has the "hats" made and you can just pop that on later.

If I had to do it all over again that's the route I would take since now I want his VHR kit but can't justify the already steep price plus coilovers...

Also, what is the deal with the meagans saying they work on 91-99.

Did something change in 2000 I dont know about? All the other coilovers say 91-05.:confused:

Have you considered the height adjustable bilsteins? I had them on my first NSX, I don't think they would cost more than a $1000.

No nothing changed in 2000, megan just dosent know what they are talking about. Ive heard mixed reviews on them but they definitely seem to be worth $850

Have you considered the height adjustable bilsteins? I had them on my first NSX, I don't think they would cost more than a $1000.

Aren't the bilsteins just two perch? So if you need to be inbetween setting one and two you are screwed.

Some say that they are cheap so they must suck. The mentality around prime seems to be if they arent kw v3's or better, they suck and arent worth buying.
How ever the people who actually have them seem to really dig them.

I really want some ground controls on koni yellows! that way i can have height adjustability, damper compression adjustability, my choice of spring rate and a kick ass damper for the price of "cheap" coilovers.

Jeese...... life would be good

If anyone has some for sale ill buy them.

Some say that they are cheap so they must suck. The mentality around prime seems to be if they arent kw v3's or better, they suck and arent worth buying.
How ever the people who actually have them seem to really dig them.

That's some people's mentality. There's a good amount that have the KW3's from what I've read that used other coilover systems and prefer the KW3's. These are the people that I think track their car though.

That's some people's mentality. There's a good amount that have the KW3's from what I've read that used other coilover systems and prefer the KW3's. These are the people that I think track their car though.

I would certainly hope a $3000 coilover would be better than a $1000, but the question is for every day driving around town, is the $1000 coilover good enough for 95% of us that don't track our cars. My hunch is yes.

Some people may say that we drive a 90k car and we shouldn't cheap out on suspension, but is it really cheaping out if the cheaper coilover meets our needs just fine?

It sounds like more than a few of us are interested in something similar. Maybe we can get a group buy going..

I just saw the Ark have a black friday price of $1199 for d-tp and $1099 for s-tp.

Last edited:
You own an NSX. Not a cheap beat up CRX. Put a quality suspension on that wont ride like crap with cheap valving that will beat you up and most likely start leaking or fail in a year. Invest* in your car. You will haveto live with your decision every second youre in the car. The KW V3 setup has an excellent daily driving ride quality thats hard to beat.

Suspension is a really really important part of the car. I think there is an assumption here that it isn't, and as long as you don't track it and it "gets the job done"...

I just think you guys should give it more importance.

You own an NSX. Not a cheap beat up CRX. Put a quality suspension on that wont ride like crap with cheap valving that will beat you up and most likely start leaking or fail in a year. Invest* in your car. You will haveto live with your decision every second youre in the car. The KW V3 setup has an excellent daily driving ride quality thats hard to beat.

No offense,but that is exactly what I said a few posts up. Sure KW is better but it is $3000. I don't have $3,000 for a suspension, but I do have a car that is too low and needs a relatively inexpensive solution.

If you have some specifics on why the ARK would not do the job then please let us know.

Lastly, I dont see someone spending $1200 on a coilover setup on a beat up CRX.

Last edited:
Suspension is a really really important part of the car. I think there is an assumption here that it isn't, and as long as you don't track it and it "gets the job done"...

I just think you guys should give it more importance.

Dave, I don't think people here think suspension is not important. I do think it is worth spending a good amount if you are going to track the car and push it hard. For street driving I don't feel I have the same needs as you.

I don't see the need to run PS2 tires on my car for street driving either, but for the track they would be great.

Dave, I don't think people here think suspension is not important. I do think it is worth spending a good amount if you are going to track the car and push it hard. For street driving I don't feel I have the same needs as you.

I don't see the need to run PS2 tires on my car for street driving either, but for the track they would be great.

I understand what you are saying, but you know street ride quality and overall wheel control are really what the damper does and the better the design, the better both of these. I don't thnk with current technology its possible to make a really good damper inexpensively, and the car pays the price. You really don't think having a lot better ride quality, motion control and handling are worth an extra $1000? It will transform your car!

Back