• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best DVD Navi system?

Hey JJ.

There are a few options if you go aftermarket. I would suggest the new Pioneer Avh-p7500dvd. It is very advanced, plays dvd audio, touchscreen, etc, but you need to buy another piece (such as the avic-80) for it to be nav capable. Really a beauty.

The other options are from Alpine, specifically the dva900, that also is a great unit but needs the added unit for it to do navigation.

I know SOS carries some "JDM" navigation pods/units--you may want to check them out.

Ravi

do any mfg make touch-screen that fit into the SOS pod?

Ravi, the one you recommended is all in one unit,.. am i missing something?

thanks

-jjc.

Oh--shoot I'm sorry JJ, the first two options I mentioned are like an aftermarket "deck." They take the place of your OEM stereo and a screen flips out. Althought its a single unit, it needs a Nav-disc reader for it to function with navigation.

If you want a touch screen for the pod there are some available--I'll try to find you some links later on.

Good luck.

Pioneer NAV-SYS610T

after my brief research, it seems like Pioneer NAV-SYS610T (AVIC-80DVD and the AVD-W6210 (Touch Panel Screen Display)) is precious what i am looking for.

any idea? anyone tried this yet? also, would this it in the sos pod?

-jjc.

Alpine makes a nice dvd based gps nav for around 2000 US dollars.
That does not include the a screen. You can get a nav from sos with the screen and pod all in one.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/displays_gauges.asp

You dont need a touch screen for a nav its a waste of money.
You program it once when you start out and dont need to touch it again in most cases.
The Alpine nav comes with a remote in case you want to play with it wile you drive. With touch screen you have to look at what your touching and you take your eyes off the road. With the remote you can feel the buttons and not have to look at it.

If you buy the Alpine nav from a dealer in Canada you can get it for 2000 cdn, and it covers the US as well as Canada.

I have the Alpine Dv900 it a great unit but not cheap.
I have the it in my car here

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20508

Brian.

Um, the reason i want to have touch screen is that i am hoping to input new address easier..

i believe this might be harder to use remote, am i wrong? i've never seen how pioneer touch screen work, and i dont know if i can enter the street address via touch screen or not, maybe someone here knows and like to educate me?

thanks

-jjc.

I have the Kenwood Nav with DVD in my NSX and it has touchscreen and works great. I have used many different systems and this is the best one I have seen. And yes you can enter in addresses with a touchscreen.

I have used the Alpine system with the remote and it take longer to input an address than using the touchscreen.

Good Luck!

Carguy! said:
I have the Kenwood Nav with DVD in my NSX and it has touchscreen and works great. I have used many different systems and this is the best one I have seen. And yes you can enter in addresses with a touchscreen.

I have used the Alpine system with the remote and it take longer to input an address than using the touchscreen.

Good Luck!

I agree with Carguy.. the Kenwood Nav is superb, the touchscreen controls are awesome. I've been shopping around and this system takes the cake handsdown..

ok.. kenwood navi is good. but after a brief research from kenwood websit, i dont think they make a screen that fits SOS OEM pod.

I understand that the all-in-one dvd navi probably work good and more cost effective.. However, I prefer the look of OEM Pod from SOS, it makes it look very stock, which is the look i am after, hopefully they make one with touch screen too

Am i missing something? do you guys have all-in-one?

thanks

-jjc.

I have not seen a stand alone touch screen yet.
I did go to the local car audio store today and check out some new decks. You have to try out the new Pioneer Avh-p7500dvd
That Stockton pointed out.
It is voice activaded with dvd mp3 nav and tv tuner all in one.
The touch screen was easy to use and quick. :D
My Alpine dv900 looks so out of date. :(

JJCNSX said:
ok.. kenwood navi is good. but after a brief research from kenwood websit, i dont think they make a screen that fits SOS OEM pod.

I understand that the all-in-one dvd navi probably work good and more cost effective.. However, I prefer the look of OEM Pod from SOS, it makes it look very stock, which is the look i am after, hopefully they make one with touch screen too

Am i missing something? do you guys have all-in-one?

thanks

-jjc.

If you guys can wait a couple more weeks.. I think I have a solution for the best looking display with the SOS display pod, that includes the Kenwood Nav and a touchscreen. It will require a little bit of 'hobbyist' work...

ALIENT said:
If you guys can wait a couple more weeks.. I think I have a solution for the best looking display with the SOS display pod, that includes the Kenwood Nav and a touchscreen. It will require a little bit of 'hobbyist' work...

alright bro,

i am in no hurry, pls let me know, i am interested.

the reason i was inquiring about pioneer combo is that you can get them for 1375 shipped, and pod from sos for 275, all together is under 1700, which is "semi-affordable".

although i am a little concern about your "a little bit of 'hobbyist' work... " does it include a lot of labor and precise-craftmanship? anyways.

pls keep me updated, i am interested in your finding..

-jjc.

The Pioneer is the very best in navigation. I sell many different units and favor the Pioneer for ease of use, ten million telephone number database, and special map overlays.

I would be very careful with someone selling a Pioneer 610 package with Pioneer touchscreen for $1375.00. I am an authorized dealer doing over $200,000 a year with Pioneer and pay more than $1375. The unit you are looking at may be gray market or refurbished.

If you are interested in a great deal, contact me at 813 882-8477 and I will give you an honest nsxprime deal on fresh A goods.

Andy

Hey andy,

i found the price via ebay and a few other online retailers.. i think they are brandnew not refurb according to them.

http://bizrate.lycos.com/,mss__cat_id--11890000,prod_id--8782725,rf--wgg.html

it sounds like you know a lot about pioneer 610 package, can you please educate me on

1). would the screen fit SOS pod
2). the touch screen, can i enter address via touch screen? you know some oem nav would display a keyboard where you can enter address from the screen

thanks

-jjc.

Andy Buzz said:
The Pioneer is the very best in navigation. I sell many different units and favor the Pioneer for ease of use, ten million telephone number database, and special map overlays.

I would be very careful with someone selling a Pioneer 610 package with Pioneer touchscreen for $1375.00. I am an authorized dealer doing over $200,000 a year with Pioneer and pay more than $1375. The unit you are looking at may be gray market or refurbished.

If you are interested in a great deal, contact me at 813 882-8477 and I will give you an honest nsxprime deal on fresh A goods.

Andy

Not trying to rain on anyones parade looking for a great deal. I am always looking for deals myself. I contacted Pioneer this minutes ago to ask the big question. How can someone sell for less than I buy for?

I provided the link you provided, my rep called me back to say that the dealers listed are not authorized Pioneer dealers. He further stated that Pioneer procuct warranty is written with an authorized dealer clause. You may not get any coverage.

It is very likely that someone is buying Pioneer out of Japan thru the gray market. This happens every day with the buyer claiming the goods are going to Russia, Saudi, South America, etc. There is no valid USA warranty.

What caught my eye is the fact that it is below my dealer cost. I dont mind selling at low margin but how can an honest deal be less than cost and still be 100% legit? I can could not sell a SYS610 for less than $1472.80 and that would be with my authorized dealer warranty included. I sell that package in my retail store for $1999.99

If someone is looking for a deal on navigation and the unit does not need to fit in the Honda pod, I have a great deal available on a system from Horizon. It works just like a Magellan(Hertz Rent a Car) has current entire USA software, and can be sold to you for $980.00. I also carry Garmin's touch screen unit, and many others.

Let me know how I can assist by calling (813)882-8477.

Andy

I fit computer touch screens, Alpines, Eclipses, etc. I have not fit a Pioneer in an NSX personally but dont see why it would not fit perfectly. You may need to build a trim plate to mount firmly from behind.

Pioneer programming is done from the remote control or by talking to the unit. It does include voice recognition. If you desire a touchpad to program addresses, I offer an indash computer with internet capabitities, navigation, XM satelite radio, and DVD player. It has a wireless keyboard and mouse as well.

Let me know how I can help out.

Andy

Hello there

That's an awesome screen (*gasps* at price). It is touchscreen, and to my knowledge most of the in-dash units can be completely controlled via the "on screen" menus. Hope that helps!

ravi

I have one left of a model that is no longer available from Pioneer. You would get a 6.5 inch screen that fits the pod and a Pioneer Navigation system. Here is the kicker. It also plays DVD movies, talks to you and listens for voice commands. It also has over ten million telephone numbers in its database. You simply enter a phone number and it takes you there.

Pioneers Nav has two software platforms that overlay eachother to make the best nav available. I can sell for $1600 for the unit with DVD player capability or $1450 without. Both have full factory warranty and support.

I also offer a the nav systems from Horizon, Garmin, and Magellan as well as Navman and Delphi. When you need nav help, call on me at 813-882-8477. I will be out of town until 11-9-03.

Andy

Andy Buzz said:

If someone is looking for a deal on navigation and the unit does not need to fit in the Honda pod, I have a great deal available on a system from Horizon. It works just like a Magellan(Hertz Rent a Car) has current entire USA software, and can be sold to you for $980.00. I also carry Garmin's touch screen unit, and many others.

Let me know how I can assist by calling (813)882-8477.

Andy

Andy, does any of these units have outputs to hook up a second monitor? Also, does the Horizon unit really cover the entire US with Hawaii and Alaska included? Do you know of any other navigation system that has maps of Hawaii and can be hooked up to another monitor like the Alpine TME-M760. Do you know if any 3rd party maps can be programed into the new Alpine DVD based navigation? Thanks.

Chris

The Magellan 750 NAV plus does have an output to other monitors. For map coverage information outside of the US please visit manufacturer websites. Maps are proprietory and would not suggest to use third party software. The Horizon does not have output for additional monitor.

Back