• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Motoring Tsukuba world record Time Atack ARTA NSX 51 875 Keiichi Tsuchiya

Awesome video and car. I wonder how it would stack up against our American tuned NSXes?

most likely crush us...it is after all a formula nippon race car with pushrod suspension with fenders...

Awesome video and car. I wonder how it would stack up against our American tuned NSXes?

This is beyond a tuned car, these cars are basically silhouette cars. They only share the roof of the production models.

They are almost as fast a open wheeled F3 cars.

This is beyond a tuned car, these cars are basically silhouette cars. They only share the roof of the production models.

They are almost as fast a open wheeled F3 cars.

Not quite true. Up to 2002, the JGTC NSX was based on a factory NSX unibody. Honda removed the front and rear subframes and replaced them with a full-race tubular frame and pushrod suspension. They also hacked up the rear unibody to install the engine in a longitudinal orientation. The engine powering these cars was a normally-aspirated factory C32B block and heads, increased to a displacement of 3.5 liters via a stroker crackshaft. The engine was fed by a ITB system with functional snorkel and produced nearly 500 hp. Aside from perhaps the turbo Le Mans NSX-GT, these cars were the most radical iteration of the factory NSX design in the world.

Due to evolving JGTC regulations (now called GT500), in 2003 Honda abandoned the factory unibody and built the car using a pure tubular race car frame sourced from Formula Nippon. They also switched to a turbocharged C30A for power. It is these cars that are most like NASCAR, since they are nothing more than a NSX-shaped fiberglass shell on a tube-frame race car.

Thus, to me the last, greatest NSX's were those original JGTC race cars. Just goes to show the incredible potential of the original platform. It is nice to see the old design set a course record. The only US offering I have seen come close is the FXMD Time Attack NSX, but even that cannot compare to the JGTC cars, which were factory-backed and developed. Though, I bet with a similar budget, Shad could build you something equivalent. ;)

Nice post. Wonder how SOS 3.5L ITB compare to the JGTC motor? And why not use the 3.5L to turbo instead of a 3.0?

Not quite true. Up to 2002, the JGTC NSX was based on a factory NSX unibody. Honda removed the front and rear subframes and replaced them with a full-race tubular frame and pushrod suspension. They also hacked up the rear unibody to install the engine in a longitudinal orientation. The engine powering these cars was a normally-aspirated factory C32B block and heads, increased to a displacement of 3.5 liters via a stroker crackshaft. The engine was fed by a ITB system with functional snorkel and produced nearly 500 hp. Aside from perhaps the turbo Le Mans NSX-GT, these cars were the most radical iteration of the factory NSX design in the world.

Due to evolving JGTC regulations (now called GT500), in 2003 Honda abandoned the factory unibody and built the car using a pure tubular race car frame sourced from Formula Nippon. They also switched to a turbocharged C30A for power. It is these cars that are most like NASCAR, since they are nothing more than a NSX-shaped fiberglass shell on a tube-frame race car.

Thus, to me the last, greatest NSX's were those original JGTC race cars. Just goes to show the incredible potential of the original platform. It is nice to see the old design set a course record. The only US offering I have seen come close is the FXMD Time Attack NSX, but even that cannot compare to the JGTC cars, which were factory-backed and developed. Though, I bet with a similar budget, Shad could build you something equivalent. ;)

So since this one is a 2002, I guess that means it's at least got the NSX passenger compartment.

I think the JGTC NSX is my favorite race car of all time.

Super cool video, I remember attending the JGTC at Fontana Speedway but not sure if that particular car was there.

Back