• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best song for displaying quality?

I use a disc called Spies:Music Of Espionage as a test. It is no longer being made, but I can always burn a copy if someone needed one.
Also, a not out of production James Newton Howard Disc seems to be popular that I have.

Dave Hardy said:
It's a little cheesy, but the Top Gun theme has a nice broad range.

For home theater, nothing beats the IMAX Superspeedway DVD

Where do you get the IMAX DVD?

thanks

Dave Hardy said:
For home theater, nothing beats the IMAX Superspeedway DVD

Aahhh - you mean this one? <!--StartFragment -->
pain.gif

5957DSC00963.JPG

5957DSC00961.JPG

I used to work as a installer in the early 90's and the best song we used was Madonna Vogue. It might be cheesy as well but it hits the notes!!!!!! Try it!!

I always like to test with classical music, although it is not what I regularly listen to. I use Bach's Toccata and Fugue. It has sustained bass tones as well as some crisp highs. It takes a good system to reproduce both tones simultaneously for an extended period of time. If it can reproduce that well, it will have no problems with rock, rap, jazz or anything else.

Nate in DC

I've always added a few tracks from the ShenMue Orchestra soundtrack to my test CDs. They are modern classical pieces that have a very dynamic range both in spectrum and in loudness.

It's actually the music from a video game (called ShenMue) that was originally made for the Sega Dreamcast system. I've never played the game myself, nor ever had a Dreamcast, but I heard the music from a old roommate of mine. It's since become one of my favorites.

I highly recommend the CD. You can find it online for less than $10.

http://www.tracksounds.com/reviews/shenmue.htm

SchuttsR1 said:
My personal fav song to use is Outkast Rossa Parks. I used it alot in compition with great results.
Outkast has some great stuff with really wide range -
Two of my fave's to demo are Pink & Blue & Prototype

SchuttsR1 said:
My personal fav song to use is Outkast Rossa Parks. I used it alot in compition with great results.

That song has great bass... ah hah...

Also checkout Mule - Hundred Years (great recording)
Destiny's Child - Bills, Bills, Bills
Fourplay - Between the Sheets
Al Jarreau - Mornin'
Sade - Kiss of Life

Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon is a great demo CD. You have a plethora of musical instruments, male and female voices and the coins dropping on Money sound very real on a great system.

Steely Dan recordings are good too. Aja in particular is a great recording.

Little known bit of info...If you can understand anything James Brown says you have a good
system. :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin:

"Day of the Eagle" by Robin Trower. it's the first song i play on any new piece of equipment, or any time i move the stereo. a great standard since 1975.

then there's "I'm the Slime", or "Fifty-Fifty", by Frank Zappa.

Hugh said:
Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon is a great demo CD. You have a plethora of musical instruments, male and female voices and the coins dropping on Money sound very real on a great system.

You just named 2 of my favorite CD's of all time. :biggrin:

steveny said:
Little known bit of info...If you can understand anything James Brown says you have a good
system. :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I was at a corporate event where James Brown was hired as the entertainment. I enjoyed a few songs and then walked out of the event, giving up my 4th row seat.

That guy is wild, but I guess I don't have a good appreciation for that type of music.

I also left a Ray Charles concert after 20 minutes from the start also. That was another free event that I had good seats to. I was glad to have seen him perform live, once, before he died.

That's one of my favorite demo CD .. especially the SACD version ... It's so great to hear the clock ticking around the room in the intro of 'Time' .. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 5.1 setup in the NSX ... :biggrin: .. if only it's possible ..

As for Steely Dan .. somehow I prefer the album Gaucho. Just my personal preference .. :) ..

Cheers .. Gus

Back