• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best way to clean wheels?

ak

Legendary Member
What do you guys use to clean your wheels? My wheel has multiple spokes which makes it a pain to clean. Black Magic has a wheel cleaner which doesn't seem to require you to remove the wheels. Anyone has any experience with this?

ak,

Last season I tried some wheel cleaner from Meguiars. I really thought it worked great. I finally got that caked up brake dust off the inside of my wheels. Also I recall a good one called P21S, but have not used it in years.

The only thing was it said to not use it if you had plastic piping in your drains!!

I said it was safe for the wheels though :)

HTH,
LarryB

I do not use wheel cleaners. I have seen too many of our customers ruin good wheels with acidic cleaners that they have paid good money for.

I never put anything on my wheels that I would not put on the hood (or any other part) of the car. I use zymol clear auto bath with a seperate sponge and bucket so that I won't get any grit anywhere it's not supposed to go. Just my $0.02
Aaron:p

AaronR said:
I do not use wheel cleaners. I have seen too many of our customers ruin good wheels with acidic cleaners that they have paid good money for.

I never put anything on my wheels that I would not put on the hood (or any other part) of the car. I use zymol clear auto bath with a seperate sponge and bucket so that I won't get any grit anywhere it's not supposed to go. Just my $0.02
Aaron:p
I agree with Aaron. The last thing I want to do is stain my wheels with something or scratch them.

What do you guys use to clean your wheels?

Soap and water.....the need for "specialty" wheel cleaning products is a load of poop. I have used household liquid detergent for +25 yrs, and I'll bet you a set of Advans :p that my wheels (even whenever I wash my track wheels) are just as clean as somebody who uses wheel cleaner stuff.

AaronR said:
I never put anything on my wheels that I would not put on the hood (or any other part) of the car. I use zymol clear auto bath with a seperate sponge and bucket so that I won't get any grit anywhere it's not supposed to go.

I do the same thing - just using good ol' Zymol Clear or whatever car wash liquid I happen to use (I sometimes use Meguiars). I don't bother using a separate sponge and bucket; I just make sure to do the wheels last.

Larry Bastanza said:
Also I recall a good one called P21S, but have not used it in years.

I've used P21S before and it is good for cleaing wheels. HOWEVER, it usually leaves a white residue on the calipers and rotors after I use it. The residue comes off on the rotors after braking, but it stays on the calipers. I still haven't got rid of the white residue and have stopped using P21S. I know some detailers use P21S but they usually take the wheels off the car when they use it. Now I know why......

I have since picked up a bottle of Zymol wheel cleaner. It works beter than P21S IMHO. The liquid itself feels like gel. You spray some on and use the brush that comes with the kit to spread the gel around. Rinse and voila. You are done.

I have been washing mine with Zaino Z-7 wash. I then use Z-6 gloss enhancer and a clay bar. I use the clay bar that I use to go over the paint. Slightly used but not full of grit. It really pulls the grime out of the little pits on the wheels. Then I throw the clay bar away. Seems like a good way to get a little more use out of it.

I'm sure it would work with whatever lubricant you normally use with a clay bar.

John

I used Eagle One Wheel Cleaner yesterday and it seemed to do a good job.

I've used a wheel cleaner on this car and my MR2's wheels and they really help the brake dust removal. Didn't harm the MR2 in ten years!

I have stock 2000 wheels and clean them with Zaino wash, dry them well, use Stoner "More Shine Less Time" on the tires and finally use crumpled newspaper to put a beautiful shine on the wheels. Same trick on the windows with the newspaper after a good cleaning with Stoner "Invisible Glass". Looks great. :cool:

I use Honda Spray Polish. Its great. Spray it on a dirty or dusty wheel and just wipe off. It leaves a nice shine as well as a slick surface to help keep additional dirt/dust off. Its available at any Honda dealership for like $7 a bottle. Don't leave home without it!

tabasco said:
I have stock 2000 wheels and clean them with Zaino wash, dry them well, use Stoner "More Shine Less Time" on the tires and finally use crumpled newspaper to put a beautiful shine on the wheels. Same trick on the windows with the newspaper after a good cleaning with Stoner "Invisible Glass". Looks great. :cool:

Haven't tried the Stoner tire dressing, but if it works on tires as well as the "Invisible Glass" works on windows, I definitely need to get some. IG is a fabulous glass cleaner - Use it in the house now too, no more Windex on anything!

(this thread has digressed off Wheels a little, but I think that's OK - nice to have some other cleaning tips outside of the Z v Z debates)

Thanks for the inputs. I think I'll try the honda polish thing first. I tried cleaning with regular soap but the real gummy dirt doesn't seem to come off and besides, it's a bitch cleaning my wheels :eek:

Just my $.02. If you use a spray cleaner (whatever brand) try to avoid overspray on the brake rotors. The cleaner I used (not on my NSX) left a film on the rotors and when the wheels rotated it caused a vibration sound during slow rolls similar to a distorted rotor. Now I only clean my wheels with car wash, a soft wheel/tire brush and a towel to dry.

D'Ecosse said:
(this thread has digressed off Wheels a little, but I think that's OK - nice to have some other cleaning tips outside of the Z v Z debates)

What brand of dishwashing liquid do you use to get your dishes clean and still leave your hands soft and smooth like Marge's? :D

Old Palmolive commercial? I believe it was Madge. :)

nsxtasy said:
What brand of dishwashing liquid do you use to get your dishes clean and still leave your hands soft and smooth like Marge's? :D

i also use the same liquid wash to clean the wheels...last always due to the grease and dirt.

i normally wash my NSX with my friend who owns the new M3. i see him using a type of spray that does not need to be wiped off...just spray and let it dry....the dirt and grease automatically disappears along with the white foam...anyone seen this before?

i wanted to try some but the first time i asked him happened to be his last use of the product. i didn't get a chance to get the name of that product.

Blue Knight said:
i also use the same liquid wash to clean the wheels...last always due to the grease and dirt.

i normally wash my NSX with my friend who owns the new M3. i see him using a type of spray that does not need to be wiped off...just spray and let it dry....the dirt and grease automatically disappears along with the white foam...anyone seen this before?

i wanted to try some but the first time i asked him happened to be his last use of the product. i didn't get a chance to get the name of that product.

Maguairs makes a good wheel cleaner, but techinically the easiest way to clean your wheels is from a lawn chair with a good view of your wife wiping them down :)

MiamieNeSeX said:
Maguairs makes a good wheel cleaner, but techinically the easiest way to clean your wheels is from a lawn chair with a good view of your wife wiping them down :)

indeed.....that's one way i'll never see...at least not in this life time....

I would never trust my wife to wash my baby!! Let her stick to the laundry and dishes!!!

nsxtasy said:

Couldn't tell you what we use ..... that's women's work! :D

D'Ecosse said:
Couldn't tell you what we use ..... that's women's work! :D

where are all the single people out there? care to share? don't say your moms do the dishes.

it's a sin to live at home and drive an NSX...though i did for a few months...hehe...

Back