Birth of a new side skirt...

Attached are pics of my new side skirts.

This is what happens when a pair of Stacy's side skirts gets busy with a pair of original side skirts - the sleek Stacy's vent, plus the sturdiness of OEM material and original mounting points.

And, as an added bonus, the classic lines on the NSX remain the same, due to the absence of that ugly, 2002+ door panel! :smile:

Side View - Original

picture.php

Side View - Vented

picture.php

Angle View - Original

picture.php

Angle View - Vented

picture.php

Last edited:
Nice! So are these OEM's that were modified? Are these being sold? If so where and how much? :smile:

Thanks,

Yes, these are OEMs that were modified.

I really liked the vent on the Stacy's style skirts, but didn't like that the Stacy's skirts were modelled on 2002+ OEM skirts. 2002+ skirts flatten out the lines on the side of the NSX, hang lower, and in order to look good require installation of a panel on the door. (The Stacy's skirts - as well as other aftermarket skirts - are also much, much less sturdy than OEM skirts.)

So... I had fiberglass molds made of the Stacy's vents, and then incorporated these molds onto a set of used OEM skirts.

As noted in the pics, the result is the addition of a bolt on side skirt with a vent that doesn't require any installation modifications or change any other cosmetic features of the vehicle.

Concerning sales, I haven't really given this any consideration. Now that I have a sample, the best way to manufacture would be via injection molding, but the cost to manufacture would far outweigh the market. :frown:

I like that look. I have put off sides since I bought the car because nothings really jumped out at me. Those I would by.

Yes, these are OEMs that were modified.

Concerning sales, I haven't really given this any consideration. Now that I have a sample, the best way to manufacture would be via injection molding, but the cost to manufacture would far outweigh the market. :frown:

If you change your mind and find a way to cost effectively make and sell these, I would be interested. It looks like a good place to run an air duct to the rear brakes. Great Job!

Talk to downforce maybe you can work out a deal to market your design.

Nice observation, as one of the reasons I went with this set-up was because it would be super easy to route a functional air duct to the brakes.

If you change your mind and find a way to cost effectively make and sell these, I would be interested. It looks like a good place to run an air duct to the rear brakes. Great Job!

Thanks.

The hood is a VIS, but it seems to fit better than most other VIS hoods, as there is little gap. I think I got lucky with this particular hood.

That said, I'm currently considering incorporating an aluminum NSX-R vent into an OEM donor hood... :smile:

I'm impressed. Those look quite nice. So does the hood. What type of hood is that and how is the fit?

Great idea and good job for trying something new!

However, the Wings West sideskirt is very similar to this and squares off the bottom a little better in my opinion (by the back wheel). It also doesn't have the additional door pieces.
11581red1.jpg

Very nice!:eek:

I had this same idea because i fear the quality and sturdiness of fiberglass side skirts isn't as good as the very durable oem material and that part of the car can take a beating. When i recently repainted my 91 i had the side skirts off and there were some marks that i know would have cracked fiberglass easily.

Can you take a picture like the angled view only tighter on the vents behind the door? I'd like a closer look.:biggrin:

If you find a way to produce these i would be interested in a set. Even if you just feel like doing it on an exchange basis i would like to get in line.:wink:

I've seen the Wings West skirts, and I didn't like the look, as it flattens out the lines of the vehicle. (I liked that they didn't use a door panel, though...)

Again, everything is OEM on my skirts except for the vent, which I modelled after the vent on Stacy's side skirts. As a result, unlike every other aftermarket skirt I've seen, these install just like OEM.

Think NSX-R hood - same design as original, but with a natural looking, tastefully agressive vent.

Great idea and good job for trying something new!

However, the Wings West sideskirt is very similar to this and squares off the bottom a little better in my opinion (by the back wheel). It also doesn't have the additional door pieces.

The quality and sturdiness of the aftermarket fiberglass side skirts is, in my opinion, very poor.

Injection molded skirts would be perfect, but the cost to manufacture is way too much for the small NSX market.

I won't be able to take any pics of the vent until next week, but will try and remember to send you a couple.

Thanks!

Very nice!:eek:

I had this same idea because i fear the quality and sturdiness of fiberglass side skirts isn't as good as the very durable oem material and that part of the car can take a beating. When i recently repainted my 91 i had the side skirts off and there were some marks that i know would have cracked fiberglass easily.

Can you take a picture like the angled view only tighter on the vents behind the door? I'd like a closer look.:biggrin:

If you find a way to produce these i would be interested in a set. Even if you just feel like doing it on an exchange basis i would like to get in line.:wink:

Last edited:
any updates on these???? YELLOW NSX please PM me asap...thanks...dave

are you kidding?
Stacy actually wants other people to make different skirts!

I've seen the Wings West skirts, and I didn't like the look, as it flattens out the lines of the vehicle. (I liked that they didn't use a door panel, though...)

Again, everything is OEM on my skirts except for the vent, which I modelled after the vent on Stacy's side skirts. As a result, unlike every other aftermarket skirt I've seen, these install just like OEM.

Think NSX-R hood - same design as original, but with a natural looking, tastefully agressive vent.

I've seen these skirts (and hood) in person...quite impressive.
If I didn't have a black car (which seems to hide all the ducting, etc...), I'd really consider a version of these!

Do you happen to have any photos during the custom fabrication?
Those would be great if you do.
Even just a photo or two of the fiberglass molds of the Stacy's vents you made would give us an idea of what size/percentage of the OEM sideskirts were replaced.

if anyone is interested, i had a set made like this myself and the body shop guy that did mine has offered to make more if you are interested. i posted a detailed post in the parts for sale section... take a look if you are interested....

thanks...dave

Dave, nice job.
You should have posted that maybe in the vendor section.
I'm sure it will be moved there soon.
Also, the flaps also release the air from the cabin introduced through the ventilation system. Don't make the hole too small in your protector, you'll cause problems for people. ie: low air flow, pressurized cabin, blah blah blah.
Thanks once again for a great project.
Trev

trev,

thanks for the input !!!! can you tell me if the hole i have iss too small??? the hole is approx 3/4" in diameter.... and it works when the door is closed... i can see the flap flapping.... what i dont want to have happen is the flapp flapping too much when the car is driven and the air from the vent hits it..... i dont know if that will happen for sure, thus the reason for the cover....

i can send more pics via pm or direct e-mail for you to see...

thanks again for the advice....dave

I am just a little worried about having only two 3/4" holes to flow out all the air that the vent system has to offer. Too small of holes will create too much pressure resistance for the fan to overcome and what happens is that the airflow drops off. Not good if you want lots of heat or lots of cooling. Perhaps drilling the rest of the surface of that plate with 1/4" holes would be a wise choice. At least you thought about what happens as your car moves forward and air is rammed into that cavity.
I did not need to shave anything on my car when I installed my custom made sideskirts. I also did not look into the fact that I was probably jamming air up against the flap. But saying that, I have no flapping effect that I hear or notice and everything seems to breath ok at speed.
I think you should go more for a speaker grill effect that breaths but provides a bit of a buffer skin. Either that or nothing.
I would suggest you take your plates off and drive around to see if you hear anything, if not, don't be concerned.
Wish I was there to mess around with that.
Trev

Back