• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blackend Motorsports Engine Torque Damper Feeler Thread

Hi All,

We have been working on an Engine Torque Damper application for the NSX's for quite some time now, and have a prototype in testing as I type this, and another prototype on the way for additional testing. We've mounted our damper kit in a manner that will be much more effective than other current offerings, and it has already displayed that effectiveness on the test car. The results are improved shifting ability in high-load shifts (no more resistance to shift due to driveline slack) and improved throttle response. The damper kit should also improve the lifetime of engine mounts since it is minimizing the movement of the engine. Here is a quick shot of the prototype kit installed on a Prime member's car - will have more pictures and details as we finalize this kit.

NSXDamperPrototype.jpg

I've been working with several long-time NSX'rs on this site on this project, so hopefully they can step in and give their first hand experiences as well.

I know you guys don't know me from Adam, but I've been lurking/posting here for several years, and have been a part of the Acura Legend community for a long time as well. I encourage you to research me and our company prior to considering our product, and I believe you will find that everything we produce, we produce from a love of performance automobiles, and a desire to make them better. Basically, if it doesn't work, we're not going to sell it.

At this point, pricing is still being determined and we'll most likely just set up a group buy for the inital run of these kits.

Now for the bad: unfortunately, the location this kit mounts in the NSX engine bay means that those with CTSC's and other FI options installed will not be able to utilize our damper kits. Please take a look at the picture if you have a turbo system and let me know if you think the mounting location is a possibility for your car...I do not have access to a turbo'd NSX for test fittment, although I can get limited access to a CTSC'd and hope to develop a solution for those running that in the near future.

Please post up questions/comments/concerns in this thread for the benefit of all to see.

Thanks,
Brian

Blackend Motorsports

For us who already have it, can we buy the mounting separately? If yes, how much ? Thanks

Good question - not sure I'm comfortable using another vendor's damper with our mounting as our production damper is quite different than the "standard" out there. The damper in the picture I posted is similar to other current offerings except that most use heim joint ends and we do not. Heim joints tend to lose their lubrication rather quickly when exposed to high heat, which creates a very annoying rattle over time and we've altered the ends on our dampers to compensate for that. Once we have a complete kit ready for production, we'll have pictures posted of the damper so you can compare the differences first hand.

^^this^^

i have a damper in my toolbox. just need brackets.

I've answered above, but I guess if the demand is there, we can produce kits in any configuration requested. While I'm not inclined to have people supply their own parts into the equation since we built this as a complete kit, we'll try our best to meet the interests expressed here.

impressive background...

Thought I'd chime in what (little) that I may know or have seen! :D

I've met up w/ Blackend (Brian) quite a few times via our local NSX gatherings. So, I got some insight into what went into developing an NSX-specific dampener kit, and in-particular, one that actually may work.

A lot of R-&-D, trials, and then even redesigns have taken course over many months. And real-world/real-life testing & analyzing have taken place along various stages of development on... get this: different NSX models (ie. '91-'94 NSX 5spd., '97-'01 NSX-T 6spd., '02-'05 NSX-T 6spd., and even various CTSC-powered NSX 5spd. & 6spd. coupes), as there are ever-so subtle variances w/ stock brackets/mounts in the engine-bay over the years!

Meaning, a final kit will not just be specific & functional for an NSX, but it'll be particularly developed/made for that exact model-year of the NSX (as aforementioned, there are slight differences in key places in the engine bay in terms of braces/mounts/etc' in various model-years).

Based on the feedback of another local NSX'er, they had noticed remarkably smoother shifting at/near VTEC & beyond during spirited/enthusiastic driving in their '97+ NSX-T 6spd. Our NSX'es (if well maintained and/or newer/low-mileage) don't have much noticeable engine movement/rotation upon startup or revving, while stationary. But, discernible feedback seems to be apparent while in-motion & shifting @ WOT (actually higher rev's at/near VTEC & beyond, I should say).

Within the next week or two, I'll likely put a kit through some "Hill Country" fun (previously, I only did static/bench testing w/ engine startup & revving while stationary).

For those considering such a mod', this offering is the one to wait for, as quite a bit of actual physics & engineering, material-sciences & R-&-D, and aviation/aero-space modeling & fabrication have all gone into development of this kit.

If you get a chance, drop Blackend a PM/email or even a call for some background on the development. Just like how the NSX was painstakingly developed using the best components/materials (at the time) w/o compromise, it seems likewise for this engine dampener setup (in-particular the bracket design & location).

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words!

It's been a really fun project for us getting this kit to work well and be an easy bolt-on affair. Will get that next setup on your car soon so we can start getting some pricing together and post an official group buy thread.

I've been asked via PM if this kit has been tested in a track setting, and wanted everyone to know that it hasn't been tested on-track at this point, but that's not to say it wasn't tested in a high-stress environment. We didn't have the prolonged torture that a track environment produces, but I'm very confident that it would hold up and deliver the same results over any length of time. Maybe we can get something set up in the near future with a track day and some in-depth testing and feedback.

Keep the questions coming guys!

looks like finally someone understands how these are supposed to work.
i can tell you that pricing will make or break this venture as this mod is one of those 'subjective benefits' that not everyone will be compelled to have.

i can tell you that pricing will make or break this venture as this mod is one of those 'subjective benefits' that not everyone will be compelled to have.

Thank you for recognizing that! I'm a firm believer in the if-it-doesn't-work-I-won't-make-it school of thought! There were times when we were making this kit that I doubted it's effectiveness in theory because of how little the NSX engine moves at startup and said numerous times that if we couldn't tell a difference with the kit on, we'd drop it and move on. Obviously, if I'm posting this thread, it has held up its end of the bargin and brought some worthwile improvement in our opinion.

Care to share your opinion of a fair market value on something like this? Feel free to PM if you'd prefer...

X2

I'd like to get one!
How much are you thinking of selling them?
Do you have options on the dampers? (Non CF, other colors etc?)

My car was used in the initial pattern process, and I can admit it was well thought out and the design was very thorough. This will turn out great.

Brian is definitely a stand up guy and will do everything he can to ensure the end users satisfaction.

Last edited:
X2

I'd like to get one!
How much are you thinking of selling them?
Do you have options on the dampers? (Non CF, other colors etc?)

Waiting on final costs for this kit so at this point I don't know about pricing. Once we test fit the last prototype, we'll get the production costs and put pricing together and announce in an official group buy thread.

I don't have options on the damper colors. Since we have this damper made specifically for our requirements, we kept it as simple as possible on the finishes.

My car was used in the initial pattern process, and I can admit it was well thought out and the design was very thorough. This will turn out great.

Brian is definitely a stand up guy and will do everything he can to ensure the end users satisfaction.

Thanks for that - wish our locations would have worked out to put the prototype on your car for testing. Thanks for all the effort you put into making this kit a reality.

Last edited:
I own one of these "Blackend Engine Dampers" for my Legend. It was worth every penny. It's a quality product and does everything it claims. There were alot of sceptics on the legend forum but after many postive responses, the sceptics are buying them too.

While it doesn't increase torque or horsepower, it makes much better use of what's there. I need to squeeze every last drop out of my Legend and this product does that. (I hope I didn't sound like an infomercial)

Last edited:
I own one of these "Blackend Engine Dampers" for my Legend. It was worth every penny. It's a quality product and does everything it claims. There were alot of sceptics on the legend forum but after many postive responses, the sceptics are buying them too.

While it doesn't increase torque or horsepower, it makes much better use of what's there. I need to squeeze every last drop out of my Legend and this product does that. (I hope I didn't sound like an infomercial)

Thanks for the endorsement Vic!

I actually have the damper on my car. I took a spirited drive in the car right after the install and was extremely pleased. I immediately noticed that my shifts under hard acceleration were smoother and less notchy. I seriously drove the car hard as i could on a few sprints, the damper smooths the shifts out noticeably. My acceleration seemed to be a bit quicker to rev after the shifts, i'm not an engineer but i felt a difference. My oil dipstick is slightly blocked by the damper, but i'm able to get to the dipstick. Mounted easy and is an overall nice upgrade for the engine bay. It should probably save my motor motor mounts some wear.:smile:

Brian is a standup guy and i have no complaints with him or his product.

Waiting on my machine shop to send me the final prototype kit for a quick test fit and we'll pull pricing together. I'm supposed to have it in my hands tomorrow and will try to schedule a test fit this week or early next and we can get moving on it.

Waiting on my machine shop to send me the final prototype kit for a quick test fit and we'll pull pricing together. I'm supposed to have it in my hands tomorrow and will try to schedule a test fit this week or early next and we can get moving on it.

lookin' forward to it

sorry about the delay - shop just got the brackets to me last week and I had a clutch explode in my Legend so I've not made the time to test fit this kit just yet.

Will try to hook up with some of the local guys first part of next week and get this kit installed for testing so we can wrap this deal up.

I have one of Henrys original GTONE dampner assemblies and i'm pleased but i'd be willing to give one of yours a go if I could buy the brackets only.

Cheers
nigel

Again, I'm not super comfortable selling the kit in pieces, but if that's what people want, I'll do it. Should have the final fitting on Tuesday and we can gather costs and post up an official GB thread. If people buy the bracket kit, and start to get noise from their current damper, we can always sell our modified damper additionally after the fact. Once we have the GB thread posted, I'll include pictures of the damper in detail so people can see the differences in ours versus what else is out there. I feel like the changes we made are well worth the investment.

Thanks for the patience!

Sorry for the delays all - had some personal issues come up that needed my attention. Those are resolved for the moment and I'll get the kit fitted tomorrow afternoon and we can get this deal rolling for all who are interested.

Update: Final version prototype is on (perfect fit for NA1 and NA2!) and I'll check the mounting out this weekend to ensure there are no adjustments that need to be made and we can release the official GB thread.

I would like to officially thank HotWls, Osiris_x11, and Ko-nsx for their involvement and testing of this product. Without this great community, and these members specifically, offering their insight and time, this part wouldn't exist. Guys, it's been a pleasure meeting and getting to know all of you...hopefully I'll join the ranks as an owner in the not too distant future and we can make some more parts!

Stay tuned for the official GB thread with final pricing and kit specifics.

Damper kit is done and tested on NA versions of NA1's and NA2's and will fit for all NA2's without modification. NA1's would require one hole to be drilled in order to mount the forward bracket. We tried to work this kit up without drilling anywhere, but to get the most solid mounting, this one hole was needed...strange that the NA2's had this hole already, but the NA1's did not...consider it a factory upgrade...although there is another option in the works at the moment.

Pricing should be just over $200 depending on how many buyers we can get up front. Will have the official GB thread posted soon!

Last edited:
Back