• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blackend Motorsports Engine Torque Damper Feeler Thread

I can't speak for Ross directly, just that he inquired about my kit and I offered to send him one of my dampers so he could see first hand the differences from the NRG units everyone else seems to use. Forums are all about community and through the several conversations and emails Ross and I have had, I have no problem helping him out with a better damper since he and I seem to share the same opinion on how businesses built on forums and community should operate. He can jump in here and offer his take on these kits, or any others that may be in the works if he so desires.

Z - your kit is going out today and I'll PM you a tracking number and my contact info for the install.

Clarity here is needed... NA2 owners are set... there is an OEM mount location.

NA1's.. were integrating brians shock for the reasons explained below.

For years I have seen an NRG style dampner siting on a shock tower at an angle saying to myself... there's no way that works..

threads went on and on and on about yes it does no it doesnt...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123562&highlight=engine+shock

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99832&highlight=engine+shock

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92942&highlight=engine+shock&page=2

Prime members went out of there way (or filled in time at the office not working for the company that paid them) making photoshop pics and showing algebra equations and outright insulting other owners with the opposite opinion.

The Dr. Black shows up... Fills in for the 2 geeks on myth busters... doesnt even own an NSX YET....calls an owner (KO-NSX I think was the first to help the man) and BUSTS the myth!

The angle mounted shock doesnt work... becuase The horizontal mounted v-6 we have mounted in the middle of our car rocks back and forth so much... the NRG Dampner wears out and squeeks after a month of normal use. If an NSX owner thought he drove his car hard enough to need better shifting and faster response couldnt place enough load on the shock to wear it out... it was receiving a load at all... a b16 in a honda civic wears an NRG shock out with 160 hp!

So an Acura Legand owner... goes through the rigorious process of R&D to make a car he WANTS to own... more enjoyable for the people who do own it... designs a stronger shock and more importantly... A WORKING PART!

So for everyone who wants to know more about how their car works and how to make it better... stop going to the the 2 NSX Only part websites for information and go to a car show or get a Modified Mag subscription. 100% of engine dampners mount perpindicular to the motor and every tuner car has them for sale... not most.. EVERY TUBER CAR... becauise if they are designed correctly... they work.

We made an RSTB substancialy better than anything avilable... looked comptechs price and said... f#*k that... we'll sell them for half that.

Mr black looked at the price of a non-working part at 400.00 and made one that works for around 200.00...

My opinion is this... there have been a few fairy tails come true here on prime.. this is one of them...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135458

Now Brian Black isnt dieing like Alexander in the story above... but proper functioning NSX part designers became endangered a long time ago... probaly the day Jon Martin stopped R&D..

SO NSX's are like 20k today... if Brian pops 100 working parts he gets one... then we all get the possible continued benifit from a great mind.

so we need to stay aware of potencial contributors to the car we love to drive and still stare it like it wasent ours... 200 bucks get's you a working part... do it.

BTW - If you dont know who Jon Martin is.. he's the guy with JIC's that has seriel # 0001

His AEM has seriel number 0002

His 3.5l and 3.8l engine always worked for his customers.. he designed it.

He also designed ITB's for the NSX with the help of bisimoto... no they dont work.. the horizontal mount of our engine doesnt allow room for a filter and there was an increase of engine fire possibilities... while the hell is a system that does work and can cause a fire still for sale for 4500.00???

That was all a long time ago.. But if you buy a Koyo Radiator today... thank Jon again for making your 400.00 radiator that didnt fit from koyo... fit now..

Regards

I believe I've replied to all the PM's at this point...if there's enough interest, I may order another batch of 5-10 kits and post that they're available.

Just to be perfectly clear, this kit is a 100% bolt on affair for NA2's and should take the most novice of mechanical people no more than 30 minutes to install or remove with no evidence of ever being on. No modification required for any 1997-2005 NSX.

STMPO should have an option for the NA1 crowd that will work without modification in the near future that will incorporate our damper.

Blackened,

Send me an invoice for 10 dampners.... lets just get this show on the road so the NA2 guys can buy them from you.

That should keep your costs inline to offer these... right... if not... increase the order to me.

Regards

Blackened,

Send me an invoice for 10 dampners.... lets just get this show on the road so the NA2 guys can buy them from you.

That should keep your costs inline to offer these... right... if not... increase the order to me.

Regards

Are you going to make these mount on your Coupe RSTB?

so one end connects to the engine and the other end connects to the metal beam to the right at the back of the engine bay.

is that a strong structual beam? able to handle the pressure the engine puts on it under heavy load and shifts?

also how does the bracket attatch to the beam? we can see it uses the top bolt hole is there a fixing on the side also?

im guessing they also work with targas?

so one end connects to the engine and the other end connects to the metal beam to the right at the back of the engine bay.

is that a strong structual beam? able to handle the pressure the engine puts on it under heavy load and shifts?

also how does the bracket attatch to the beam? we can see it uses the top bolt hole is there a fixing on the side also?

im guessing they also work with targas?

The kit was originally built off a 2005 NSX-T and is currently installed on a 2000 NSX-T so it will most certainly work on targas. The NA2's have a bolt hole under that module on the support beam (can't remember what that module is and don't have my service manual in front of me) face and the other mounting hole is on the engine side of that support...my kit uses both of these holes for the forward bracket and the module bolts on top of it.

NA1's have a different configuration...my kit will work with NA1's, but it would require modification and I believe Ross at STMPO will have a solution for you guys including my damper shortly that will be 100% bolt-on with no modification required.

Cool ok,

Is that support beam strong enough to handle constant pressure/strain from absorbing the movement from the engine?

Basically, being NA1 i need to sit tight and wait for Ross with the NA1 version. Please keep me in the loop for when these are ready.

My NA1 has that module on the support beam. little grey box towards the top of the beam? Mine is a UK car, can supply with some pics if you like so you can see if fitement would be the same for UK cars.

Cool ok,

Is that support beam strong enough to handle constant pressure/strain from absorbing the movement from the engine?

Basically, being NA1 i need to sit tight and wait for Ross with the NA1 version. Please keep me in the loop for when these are ready.

My NA1 has that module on the support beam. little grey box towards the top of the beam? Mine is a UK car, can supply with some pics if you like so you can see if fitement would be the same for UK cars.

I would actually love to see some detailed pictures of your engine bay - we found out the hard way on our Legend damper kit that they won't work as designed with RHD cars and I doubt they changed anything on the NSX's that would affect our mounting position, but I'd like to double check. Can you email pics to [email protected] when you have a moment? Or post here...whatever is easier for you.

We measured several distances in the NSX engine bay before and after some very hard testing with no differences recorded and the manner in which it's mounted should work with the strength of the brace it's mounted on. We had 3 engineers (all mechanical - 1 is even an actual rocket scientist lol) peering into the engine bay at the same time when designing this part so I'm confident in its ability to perform as intended.

you have mail ;)

My car is a UK 1997 NA1 Targa.

I would actually love to see some detailed pictures of your engine bay - we found out the hard way on our Legend damper kit that they won't work as designed with RHD cars and I doubt they changed anything on the NSX's that would affect our mounting position, but I'd like to double check. Can you email pics to [email protected] when you have a moment? Or post here...whatever is easier for you.

We measured several distances in the NSX engine bay before and after some very hard testing with no differences recorded and the manner in which it's mounted should work with the strength of the brace it's mounted on. We had 3 engineers (all mechanical - 1 is even an actual rocket scientist lol) peering into the engine bay at the same time when designing this part so I'm confident in its ability to perform as intended.

Email replied and it looks by the great pictures you took that it should be identical to the USDM NA2's so my kit should work without modification.

I'll let you know when I have more in stock.

The kit was originally built off a 2005 NSX-T and is currently installed on a 2000 NSX-T so it will most certainly work on targas. The NA2's have a bolt hole under that module on the support beam (can't remember what that module is and don't have my service manual in front of me) face and the other mounting hole is on the engine side of that support...my kit uses both of these holes for the forward bracket and the module bolts on top of it.

NA1's have a different configuration...my kit will work with NA1's, but it would require modification and I believe Ross at STMPO will have a solution for you guys including my damper shortly that will be 100% bolt-on with no modification required.

What about us 95-96 NA1 Targa guys (with a STMPO RSTB)?

Struggling through some supplier issues at the moment...had a manufacturer sell his business and it's added several layers of difficulty in getting parts I need. We're working through it and hope to have everything back on track soon so we can resume this project.

I'd love to see one of these work with a CTSC.

Finally got the supplier to answer an email and we're hoping to have more parts in hand by weeks end...but I'm not holding my breath...

Me too (if I can get it to work with the CTSC)

Me too (if I can get it to work with the CTSC)

My kit won't work with the CTSC at this point. I have access to a CTSC'd NSX locally so I'll try to schedule some time to poke around and see what we'd need to change. All of that has taken a back seat to my supplier at the moment...hopefully we can get it nailed down and start moving forward again!

Back