• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bose???

Do I have to rewire a complete new sound system to switch out the bose speakers or head unit to aftermarket stuff?? Or, can new aftermarket speakers be installed using factory head unit??

You can use your stock head unit with after-market speakers, but you will also need an external amplifier to drive the speakers.
You can also replace the head unit if you like, but this will require customization of the console to accommodate a clean look - you can either re-glass the original or buy a blank template from Science Of Speed & cut to fit.
If you replace the head unit, you can either use one with an integrated amp, or still utilize an external one.
Potentially you wouldn't need to get an external amp, if you buy one with a built-in amplifier - then you could just re-wire existing harnesses to accommodate the head & speaker connections. The best quality of sound will come from components with dedicated speaker wiring, but running speaker wire to the doors is not much fun, although quite possible. With a relatively low power output (25-40W /channel) you could still probably utilize the stock wiring.
It all depends on your budget & ultimate level you are striving for.
Ultimately, a new head with external amplifier & speakers give you infinite combinations of components to work with, but also requires the most installation work.
Do a search on this board for some different ideas that Prime members have done to their cars - you can see mine in a thread pretty close to the top in the pic gallery (New Noise-Maker).

D'Ecosse said:
You can use your stock head unit with after-market speakers, but you will also need an external amplifier to drive the speakers.
You can also replace the head unit if you like, but this will require customization of the console to accommodate a clean look - you can either re-glass the original or buy a blank template from Science Of Speed & cut to fit.
If you replace the head unit, you can either use one with an integrated amp, or still utilize an external one.
Potentially you wouldn't need to get an external amp, if you buy one with a built-in amplifier - then you could just re-wire existing harnesses to accommodate the head & speaker connections. The best quality of sound will come from components with dedicated speaker wiring, but running speaker wire to the doors is not much fun, although quite possible. With a relatively low power output (25-40W /channel) you could still probably utilize the stock wiring.
It all depends on your budget & ultimate level you are striving for.
Ultimately, a new head with external amplifier & speakers give you infinite combinations of components to work with, but also requires the most installation work.
Do a search on this board for some different ideas that Prime members have done to their cars - you can see mine in a thread pretty close to the top in the pic gallery (New Noise-Maker).

hi Ken,
if you dont mind me asking,what sort of money are we talking about for the type of system you have installed.as you know i am on the other side of the pond so what would be the figures in £££.
next time you are over you will have to call down from Scotland and work your magic on my car:D

james.

How are things going James?
Well, I did all the install work myself so that saves a bunch of Dollars (or Pounds!) right there.
I have invested in mine,

Head - Sony MEX-5DI - is $1300
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-kq6ltUjo7SV/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=3&g=62700&I=158MEX5DI+

Speakers - CDT Audio, ES620 - retail for ~$780, http://www.cdtaudio.com/eurosport_component.htm
See performance write-up here - http://www.cdtaudio.com/620testreport.htm

Subwoofer - CDT Audio MS-100 ~ $270 retailhttp://www.cdtaudio.com/MiniboxSub.htm

Amp - Hifonics ZX8000; (typically $340 from discount e-vendors)
http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/amps_zeus.html

New console - Science Of Speed - $280
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/center_console/

Then misc. cables, paint, materials etc - say $150

I spent about $1560 total on these however - not bad though when you consider the parts should have been more like $3000(& that's not inflated list prices, but typical retail from discount on-line vendors)
Is my Scottishness apparent with my thriftiness?
pain.gif
Actually, I really didn't seek out these particular bargains, just fell in to them by luck, although with a little searching.
The head & the speakers are the prime elements of my set-up & I got remarkable deals on those. I would like to consider a better amp ultimately although when bridged the Zeus does pretty well with those CDT's.
You can get some great ideas from this forum http://www.elitecaraudio.com/forums/index.php - the for-sale section is particularly good (where I picked up my sub).
Unless money is no object, start out with at least one decent component & build your system around that, upgrading progressively as you go along once you have the fundamental system together - I would consider the speakers the best place to start. You can always get fabulous deals on used stuff, especially from audiophiles like those on Elite, where people are continually upgrading. Check out similar boards in UK - a quick search found http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/forum/ & http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=31 are a couple I found.

Last edited:
I decided to stay with the stealth approach, with the exception of the tweeters.
I didn't want to mess up the flow of the dash so I have retained the factory radio and CD changer.
I did change out the sub to a Nackamichi in a custom fiberglass enclosure.
MB Quart mids went into the stock location in door. The tweeters were mounted in upper portion of door panel but blend in exceptionnally well. You wouldn't know they weren't factory if I didn't tell you.
The system is powered by a 600 watt Xtant amp located in the tool set area. It is under 1/2 plexiglasss and has red led lights that are activated upon the trunked being opened.
Also had a Apline 6 1/2 monitor installed in pod on top of console to display the PS2 that is mounted in glove box.
And finally had the XM radio antenna buried in dash and the display unit mounted out of sight in the ashtray.
The complete install took almost two weeks and came to $4500.
Kinda expensive but w

$4500. $1560 You guys got off easy.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.phps=&threadid=20508
I went a bit over board.
Alpine d900 $1800 US
Alpine 450 amp $400 CD
Alpine tv tuner $300 US
Alpine Nav $2000 CD
Alpine 7inch screen $500 CD
Alpine Dvd/mp3/cd Changer $1000 CD
Boston 6.5 speakers $500 US
Alpine 8 inch sub $250 CD
Fiberglass box for sub $300 US
Ps2 $350 CD
CB indash $50 CD
Ac converter $50 CD
Wires Pheniox gold etc. $425 CD
Sos dash pice $280 US
Custom build in for amps Free
Alarm to protect all this stuff $150 CD

US Total $6543.00

GBP Total $4115.55

The fact that my wife is not going to see this list...... PRICELESS:D

OK guys - lets not turn this into a competition on who spent the most on his set-up - that certainly wasn't my intent when I answered Jaytip's question of how much I spent on my system. I'm sure your systems are awesome (I've seen the pics of prova4re's & it certainly is), but I think the focus should be on encouragement to venture into something different from stock without necessarily spending a small fortune and exercising a little internet bargain hunting to make the most of your budget, whatever it be.
James, the point is that there are infinite number of choices you can make as alternative to Bose & you don't have to spend anything like the numbers quoted in any of the examples above (mine included) to get a decent system you will enjoy. Video adds another whole dimension, both in media & of course budget, however.

thanks for the links in the previous post Ken,i will check them out.
all my speakers are allready out of the car because they have popped,so i will have a look around to see what is out there.
my finances are not too good at the moment(the cars in the bodyshop having my wings west kit fitted and having a total respray including colour coding the roof)so i am going to have to watch the pennies. :(

It was not ment to be a competition at all. Sorry if it came across that way. My system just started out small and just snow balled into a monster system. You can get a very good system for little money as D'Ecosse points out if you shop around.
Your better off installing a amp behind the drivers seat and adding some good speakers.
That is the way to go IMO.
Heck looking back on it I should have taken the money and spent it on a super charger. :D

Didn't mean that to come across harshly - actually its extremely interesting to see what can be done.
Lud - how about adding a media forum? I think it would a great addition, especially with the nuances of the NSX with regards to installations. See here for request & comments http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22294
One of the problems with any starter option on the NSX is the console unless retaining the stock head - that means pretty much a $280 investment (in the SOS) before you even begin to spend any money on the equipment. However that is a good place to start - with that, you can get some really quality heads with built in amps to start you on your way - makes for simple install too if you use stock harnesses. A decent single din head assembly and some speaker baffles to mount 6.5" co-axials will get you on your way; then later you can upgrade the head to a quality pre-amp plus external amp & speakers & sub as your time & budget allows since you have the basic building blocks in place. When you upgrade to a higher power amp, it would be a good idea to run speaker wire into the doors, although I know guys pushing a bunch of power through the stock wiring.
For example, here's an alpine head could get you going
Alpine 9813 $266 right now on EBay - includes MP3/CD/ 5 band EQ; will also drive an Alpine changer in the trunk (new AiNet Style, but you'r already wired for it - with adapter cable) 60W MosFET internal amp then switch to the pre-amp outs when you're ready to buy external amp.
I would recommend going this route initially, biting the bullet on the new console, as you will not realize the same performance from your amp anyway till you install the new head unit - you're going to have a better foundation to start with IMO. You can of course save the $$$ on the console if you are handy with FG and can re-work the original.
Incidentally, you can offset a lot of the original cost if you sell your stock parts, unless you intend to return to stock one day. for resale. Stock heads can fetch $200 if in good condition, changers $100-$150, console probably $250 - $300 I would think, more if any of your Bose speakers are still working :D
So you could spend say $800 on head, console & pretty decent speakers & get mabe $600 back - or reduce your outlay on an ititial set of co-ax's instead of component speakers & maybe even do it for no net cash out!

Last edited:
Back