• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake pad recommendations?

I'm about to replace the brake pads on my '96. Original pads are worn out at 75,000 miles. I'm looking for OEM/street performance. Any recommendations other than the stock pads from Acura? (Nothing much turned up with search)

I'm asking because items like oxygen sensors are 1/4 the dealer price when purchased aftermarket from the OEM manufacturer. So, perhaps someone knows who made the original pads for Acura/Honda.

I liked the Hawk HPS when I used them. Basically similar to OEM. Now with big brakes I use the Hawk Ceramic since they are super low dust and noise. The HPS did dust more than OEM; I think it's hard to find a better of in terms of dust and noise than OEM.

OEM because there isn't much you can do to OEM small calipers and rotors

upgrade to bigger rotors and calipers and live the dream LOL

I have Hawk HPS as my street pad. They don't dust that bad. I can go about a week of driving before my wheels show signs of dust. With the Project Mu Street/Track pads I had, the wheels would be filthy within 2 days.

mine never get brake dust on my rims...... I never touch the brake if someone is stopping in front of me I swerve into the grass and pass them, or hit curbs to pass them

not kidding LOL

it sounds like you want the oem pads cheaper,I doubt you would get 75k miles from any aftermarket pad.

I love my Project Mu Type NS pads. Installed them as part of a complete rebuild of the OEM brakes and they're great. I have about 10K on them and no dust so far. I'd say they're at least equivalent to OEM, probably better and less cost. SOS has them.

I strongly recommend the OEM pads if you are not tracking the car (and there's no way you're tracking the car if you get 75K miles to a set of pads). Avoid generic "auto parts store" pads, because those are usually not made for the performance demands of a supercar like an NSX. The OEM pads for the NSX offer a very high level of performance. Yes you can get even higher performance aftermarket pads, but since you're not tracking the car, you really don't need the higher performance attributes of track pads or street-track pads (designed to stand up to the heat generated on the racetrack) and they often have disadvantages (heavier dusting and/or noise levels).

OEM pads aren't horribly expensive; list is around $225 front and $122 rear, and you can get discounts of 20-30 percent from places like Tim at Acura of Peoria.

Last edited:
I recently installed Dixcel ES pads and they feel great for sporty street driving.

I also have good experience with Ebc yellow stuff.

bernhard

I like the oem pads for their low dust, low sticky dust and overall cold to warm performance. If you are going to get them hot, I would get something more aggressive.

Note that I only did the rear pads. The factory original front pads had more than 50% of useful pad remaining after nearly 75,000 miles.
OK, so I drive mostly on highways and am not aggressive with the brakes:rolleyes:. But, it did include 3 Kids Day's at The Glen where the brakes were more than a little warm after each run.:biggrin:

About five months ago, I got these online from Brakeworld.com, when I replaced my rotors. Here is their description and I must say I am very pleased with them so far.

"The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad provides the ultimate in braking friction technology; it is a revolutionary "true" organic ceramic formulation is designed for cool, clean, quiet and long lasting operation. The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad operates at much lower temperature levels than traditional semi-metallic pads, making the Hyper ceramic formulation extremely resistant to fading and over heating. This unique formulation extends the life of both the pads and rotors by operating at lower temperatures. The Hyper Ceramic material is very gentle on rotors even under harsh braking conditions. The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad produces very low dust output levels, and includes interlocking anti squeal shims ensuring you will receive whisper quiet braking performance. Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pads are protected with a black powder-coating on the backing plate. This is an all around superb brake pad and is suitable for both road and light track use. Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Pads are optimized to be used with both high performance and original equipment brake disc."

Less than $145 for the set , front and rear.

I'm about to replace the brake pads on my '96. Original pads are worn out at 75,000 miles. I'm looking for OEM/street performance. Any recommendations other than the stock pads from Acura? (Nothing much turned up with search)

I'm asking because items like oxygen sensors are 1/4 the dealer price when purchased aftermarket from the OEM manufacturer. So, perhaps someone knows who made the original pads for Acura/Honda.

SEVENTYFIVETHOUSANDMILES on a brake pad set!?!?
Holy Shit! I maybe 1/10th!

Go OEM and forget about it!

Back