• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

brake replacement.

Ben , tom , tony etc... you guys have the tools to do a brake change? I know tom has a lift and all but not sure what I need to do it with as I am not mechanically inclined.

Also does anyone know if I have to replace the rotors ( mine have like 4k miles on them)? I didn't know if they were like the benz where they replace the rotors at every brake change. Mine are drilled cross slotted rotors, so wasnt sure if the new set of brakes would need to be on a new set of rotors! Would rather have it dan if it could be done in a day or so. The acura dealership gets the car in fast but they were the same people who told me it was a rock stuck in a caliper instead of the inside back brakepads being worn down to fingernail width.

Ben , tom , tony etc... you guys have the tools to do a brake change? I know tom has a lift and all but not sure what I need to do it with as I am not mechanically inclined.

Also does anyone know if I have to replace the rotors ( mine have like 4k miles on them)? I didn't know if they were like the benz where they replace the rotors at every brake change. Mine are drilled cross slotted rotors, so wasnt sure if the new set of brakes would need to be on a new set of rotors! Would rather have it dan if it could be done in a day or so. The acura dealership gets the car in fast but they were the same people who told me it was a rock stuck in a caliper instead of the inside back brakepads being worn down to fingernail width.

Changing pads and or rotors is EASY.

No, you don't have to change rotors when you change pads. But I am sure the dealer would gladly do that if you asked. I had a Lexus dealer tell me that I needed new pads. He said it was dangerous to run with worn pads. When I told him that I had just done it myself two weeks ago, he said.. "oh, we were going off the mileage of the car." Then he admitted that they tell EVERYONE that they need new pads.

Rotors should last 40k+ miles unless you track your car alot in which case they will start spider cracking after a dozen or so track weekends of heavy use do to the extreme heat and cooling. I am on my third set of front rotors (RB 2 piece) but still on the orginal rear rotor (RB 1 piece).

Last edited:
Front or rear? I don't have the cube tool to spin the rear piston back in. They're about $10 at Sears or a parts store. A lift is nice, but all you need is a jack & basic tools. If the rotors are grooved I would get them turned, but if they're smooth I would just do the pads. The emergency brake cable can be difficult when putting the rears back together, but I think this only applies to '97 & up.

I would plan ahead to see if some place close will be open to turn them in case they are chewed up. And how fast they can do them.

Front or rear? I don't have the cube tool to spin the rear piston back in. They're about $10 at Sears or a parts store. A lift is nice, but all you need is a jack & basic tools. If the rotors are grooved I would get them turned, but if they're smooth I would just do the pads. The emergency brake cable can be difficult when putting the rears back together, but I think this only applies to '97 & up.

I would plan ahead to see if some place close will be open to turn them in case they are chewed up. And how fast they can do them.

Yeah its rears. The dealer told me it was a rock making the noise, my father and law pulled the right rear off and revealed the inside pads were all jacked up. So i need to change them, the front which i will probably change at the same time still have 4mm ( i guess is what they used) said they are good til 2mm.

Changing pads and or rotors is EASY.

No, you don't have to change rotors when you change pads. But I am sure the dealer would gladly do that if you asked. I had a Lexus dealer tell me that I needed new pads. He said it was dangerous to run with worn pads. When I told him that I had just done it myself two weeks ago, he said.. "oh, we were going off the mileage of the car." Then he admitted that they tell EVERYONE that they need new pads.

Rotors should last 40k+ miles unless you track your car alot in which case they will start spider cracking after a dozen or so track weekends of heavy use do to the extreme heat and cooling. I am on my third set of front rotors (RB 2 piece) but still on the orginal rear rotor (RB 1 piece).

Yeah i was thinking I had more life on the rotors than a set of brakes, just wasnt sure. Like i said the Benz dealer say the pads need to be changed as well as rotors. But what the hell do I know..lol.

Florence KY huh? I actually in my younger years was working for a company out of OH, went and opened up resteraunts, trained, hired and staffed it's new stores from the ground up. Bounced around a lot but was fun. Good expierience. I opened one in Florence and in Bowling Green before heading to Nebraska, MO, KS. BW3's ( Buffalo Wild Wings )

Can't remember the exact location but I do recall it was real close to the river, and at night we would go across the river to a big Jillians right off the hwy.

Last edited:
Brakes are easy and most of the secrets are already listed above. You have to have that goofy box thing. Removing a little brake fluid is a good idea or at least watch the level. The hardest thing for me is trying to figure out which way to spin the caliper back in. Plus with that box thing, it takes ten million turns to figure out which way its going. :eek:

Anyway, Autozone carries carbon ceramic ones for a good price. I replaced both front and back on mine about 6 months ago.

One last piece of advice, don't leave the parking brake on if you are doing the back brakes. It makes for many cuss words.

leaving.gif

Rotors need to be replaced when cracked or warn down to min thickness. On a street driven NSX install new pads and drive easy for a few miles so the pads can seat to the rotors. Street driven NSX normally don't crack rotors and not many people drive enough to wear out a set of rotors.

Oh yea don't forget to flush your brake fluid at least once every 2 years.

I've done my Nissan myself, haven't done the NSXs. We could have a wrenchfest and "learn" on yours. Depending on the weekend (Reserves) that lift can be open for business.

Back