• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Squealing help

ak

Legendary Member
Hi guys. I've got a problem where my brake(mostly rear it seems) keeps on squealing even while the car is moving as if the pad is still touching the rotor. The strange thing is, the noise increases when cornering(when there's sideway G's). I have Carbotech Panther + pads, so it's supposed to squeal while stopping, but not while driving! Anyone have any insight?

IF your brakes normally squeal under braking (something I wouldn't put up with myself), and IF your driving squeal is coming from the brakes, seems the most logical first pick would be brake drag: pads which aren't backing off properly after braking. If that's the case, you might have a caliper issue. I think I'd check that first.

By the way, are you in Reston or Chicago? Are you lost? Homesick? What's the deal?

- Richard

How long have you had them? Wear sensor maybe? does the squeal go away when you hit the brakes?
If so, indicates the wear sensor. Even if not too many miles on pads, it could be bent inwards.

Actually, I (and a few others) also used the Panther Plus pads and they squealed when braking and when not braking. So don't feel like you're the only one with this problem. Do a search and you'll find some others as well.

I took the Panthers off and only use them for track events.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
Short gears, Dali swaybars, Ferodo/Axxis Ultimate brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

Originally posted by Soulstice:
Actually, I (and a few others) also used the Panther Plus pads and they squealed when braking and when not braking. So don't feel like you're the only one with this problem. Do a search and you'll find some others as well.

I took the Panthers off and only use them for track events.

Really? umm. I'd hate to change pads every time I need to go to the track...

The panther + pads did not come with wear indicators.(i dont think..)

The Panthers squeak and squeal. You may minimize this noise by lubricating the caliper pins (as suggested in the Service Manual) and by applying some anti-squeal compound (found in any auto parts store) to the back of the pads. The downside of applying the anti-squeal compound is that it sometimes makes it more difficult to remove the old pads and it requires the cleaning (sometimes by emery cloth) of the calipers before any new pads are installed.

Did you re-use the OEM caliper shims?

DanO

Originally posted by DanO:

Did you re-use the OEM caliper shims?

DanO

Yes. I guess I can apply some more anti-squeal, but I didn't think it was normal for the brake to make noise while it's in motion...

Originally posted by ak:
...but I didn't think it was normal for the brake to make noise while it's in motion...

It’s relatively normal for street/track pads and expected for track pads
smile.gif
Other than being annoying, there is nothing wrong with a squeaking pad, as long as it is of the required pad thickness.

DanO

Well, I worked on my brake this weekend...put more grease on the caliper pin, put more brake anti-squeal on my pads/shims yesterday and left it there. Today I washed my baby and took it for a test drive...

1st minute - good no squeal
2nd minute - starts squealing while pressing brake pedal...no biggie..expected
3rd minute - squeal squeal squeallll everywhere!!! I give up..

It seems like it stops squealing above 50mph so I guess I'll just have to drive faster than 50mph!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ak:
Well, I worked on my brake this weekend...put more grease on the caliper pin, put more brake anti-squeal on my pads/shims yesterday and left it there. Today I washed my baby and took it for a test drive...

1st minute - good no squeal
2nd minute - starts squealing while pressing brake pedal...no biggie..expected
3rd minute - squeal squeal squeallll everywhere!!! I give up..

It seems like it stops squealing above 50mph so I guess I'll just have to drive faster than 50mph!
biggrin.gif

you might either want to get new pads or just replace the rotors alltogether... a little bit of noise isnt that bad if you can stand it though
smile.gif

Back