• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Zone / Wilwood BBK

fangtl said:
How often do these kits need to be rebuilt?

Its impossible to give you a fixed time frame on something like this because the answer is completely dependant on each specific application. For what it is worth, I ran a set on a Miata for 3 years without needing a single rebuild. The car saw atleast 8 track days each of those three years along with an autocross once a month. The only maintnance required on these calipers is the cleaning of the pistons during pad changes. You must first wipe down the exposed portion of the piston removing all of the brake dust before pushing them back into the caliper.

If by chance something does happen and a inner seal gives and the caliper starts leaking, Wilwood only charges about $35 to rebuild each caliper!!!!! Yes, even less than your OEM calipers ;)

ak said:
What kind of pads do they come with?

As Craig mentioned, Wilwood offers a complete range of brake pads manufactured by Raybestos. They offer everything from a completely dust/noise free ceramic street pad to an all out endurance ready race pad.

This brings up another great point regarding Wilwood components. Replacement parts are also inexpensive. The brake pads start at about $75 per set while replacement rotors start at $150 a piece compared to $300 a piece from Brembo or AP.

I need some help on this. What is the advantage of the Wilwood system over the Tarox system that SOS sells? The price of their stage 3 kit looks to be the same. Tarox offers 10 pot and 6 pot vs. 6 pot and 4 pot of Wilwood. Wilwood kit includes the E-brake caliper where Tarox does not. But still, how is this such a great deal?

Once you buy the Tarox kit you will still need a parking brake and a Proportioning Valve Kit. That will add another 1,200.00 to the price at least...and then of course you'll need to have them installed.

This is a true bolt on and go... or stop as the case may be ;) ... kit that anyone with a wrench can install in about an hour and a half....nothing else to monkey with except which of the 12 available pad compounds you like the best. (I personally have one set for the track and a set for the street)

how is the clearance, what types have wheels with what offsets have you tried to mount with them? those front calipers look really thick (but nice.. :))..

i used to have the rm/ap racing big brake kit on my old nsx, and had to shave the face of the calipers down to fit behind the gewalt wheels without rubbing...

btw, very nice work on the price. its nice to see not *everyone* will bendover people who want to buy nsx parts.

-mike

Sherwin - this might sound really cheap - but could you possibly offer another "intermediate" kit? The $2850 is out of my current budget - I'd like to see if you would consider a similar set-up to your OEM rear for the front.
i.e. kit would comprise the 2-piece rotors all round & CNC -machined brackets to adapt the stock calipers; then later it would be easy to add a delta kit to add the Wilwood calipers, either all at once or front then rear.
What do you think? All you'd have to do to create this "new" kit would be create/add the new brackets for the front stock calipers to the range of components you've already produced. I think this kit would be a hot seller - some would stop there just for the "show" value & others would treat it as a segue to the final step.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply that all Tarox kits need a proportioning valve....I answered the question exactly as it was put (see below). I have been told the Tarox 10/6 kit will require a proportioning valve.

He also asked how it was "such a great deal" and I believe that I illistrated that as well. Even without adding the cost of a valve, the parking brake adds $945.00 + shipping. Add the fact that Tarox and Brembo both have to be imported and that Wilwood and all of it's replacement parts are readily available here in the U.S. and you can begin to see the value.

Juice said:
Tarox offers 10 pot and 6 pot vs. 6 pot and 4 pot of Wilwood. Wilwood kit includes the E-brake caliper where Tarox does not. But still, how is this such a great deal?

In the picture you show the brakes under Forgelines. What sizes: 17/18 or 16/17?

Any additional info for wheel fitment?

The Forgelines are 17/17, I do not know the offsets. I have a 5mm spacer in front and a 3mm spacer in the rear.

A friend came over with his 17/18 OZ Superleggera's. The rears fit with room to spare, the fronts cleared but by less than the thickness of a piece of paper. I do not know the offset of his wheels either but they seemed to set "in" from the edge of the wheel archs more than my Forgelines.

I will be trying a set of 17/17 Volks that Sherwin owns soon and will report the results when I do.

Hope that helps.

Craig said:
I didn't mean to imply that all Tarox kits need a proportioning valve....I answered the question exactly as it was put (see below). I have been told the Tarox 10/6 kit will require a proportioning valve.

As long as you are not using the same size calipers on the Tarox, you will not need a proportioning valve, i.e. 10/6 or 6/stock. If you use 6/6, you probably will. Not quite as elegant as this system though, due to lack of e-brake.

Again though, what difference does the piston count make? I.E. does 10 pot work better than 6 pot? And ncdogdoc reitterates my point that the 10/6 calliper combo should not need a proportioning valve kit. I guess I need to contact Chris W. @ SOS to settle this.

D'Ecosse said:
Sherwin - this might sound really cheap - but could you possibly offer another "intermediate" kit? The $2850 is out of my current budget - I'd like to see if you would consider a similar set-up to your OEM rear for the front.
i.e. kit would comprise the 2-piece rotors all round & CNC -machined brackets to adapt the stock calipers; then later it would be easy to add a delta kit to add the Wilwood calipers, either all at once or front then rear.
What do you think? All you'd have to do to create this "new" kit would be create/add the new brackets for the front stock calipers to the range of components you've already produced. I think this kit would be a hot seller - some would stop there just for the "show" value & others would treat it as a segue to the final step.

http://www.biot.co.jp/n_brembo/offset_kit/Frontbrake_offset_kit.html

http://www.biot.co.jp/n_brembo/offset_kit/Rearbrake_offset_kit.html

combined still is about 1700-1800 bux.

D'Ecosse said:

I totally understand your situation and your request, but i would also like you to understand mine. I dont build anything for "show" value. Everything kit that I put together has been done so with one objective in mind, performance at a reasonable cost. Aesthetics have always been something of a back burner for me. If they look good, thats just icing on the cake. With that in mind, the set up that you are asking does not exactly fit "my" criteria. The extra torque applied from the larger rotor does not add up to the cost of the upgraded bracket and larger rotor. Even though it may look cool, it really wont help much. If you are serious about a performance upgrade and cost is what is holding you back, I do have another version of this kit that I can adapt to the NSX that I currently use on the S2000. It is a front only kit with the same 6 piston caliper but a smaller 12.2" 2 piece rotor that will work under a 16" wheel. This kit does not require a rear upgrade and is balanced front to rear in terms of bias and also does not require a proportioning valve.

Juice said:
Again though, what difference does the piston count make? I.E. does 10 pot work better than 6 pot? And ncdogdoc reitterates my point that the 10/6 calliper combo should not need a proportioning valve kit. I guess I need to contact Chris W. @ SOS to settle this.

Another topic that comes up quite frequently. Just as in bigger is not always better, more is not always better either. The number of pistons does not always equate to better braking. What does matter however is the diamater of these pistons. This is what determines the amount of pressure being applied and exerted from the caliper. The total surface area of the pistons is what we look at when we are determining what will work and what will not. These number s are not only important for making sure that front to rear bias is not thrown off but also in making sure that you can retain an OEM pedal height and feel without the need of proportioning valves or residual valves. A properly designed system should not need any. The increase in the actual number of pistons does one thing, promotes an even distribution of energy through the pad. This reduces pad taper and increases its longevity.

Loving my Wilwood Big Brake Kit. Front and Rear like Craig (1BadNSX). Although I went with a 4 piston front and back opposed to Craig's 6 piston front and 4 piston rears. The parking brake has its own piston as well.

Tan

Tantheman said:
Loving my Wilwood Big Brake Kit. Front and Rear like Craig (1BadNSX). Although I went with a 4 piston front and back opposed to Craig's 6 piston front and 4 piston rears. The parking brake has its own piston as well.

Tan

Can you post some pics here? The ones on the site are not very easy to see.

Juice said:
Can you post some pics here? The ones on the site are not very easy to see.

I did under picture gallery for Blue NSX.

However, here they are again for this forum.

Juice said:
Thank you. Damn. Those look pretty good. A lot of attention to the disks themselves.

Believe it or not they are pristine and lighter than the OEM brake set up from the factory. Although the hats do not quite match each other (front/rear) the rears has an anodized bronze look to them and the front is black.

Pure street driven only but the set up is to compliment the wheels. Looks better in motion.

Tan

Back