• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

brakes squeaking when not on the brakes

Hi all,

I'm been living with this annoying issue for a while and I'd welcome suggestions.

Whenever I run my track pads (Carbotech Panther Plus) my brakes squeak all the time, even when I'm not on the brakes. It actually squeaks louder when I'm not on the brakes than when I'm on them...when I'm on the brakes I hear a quieter, normal braking sound of a track pad. I do not mind at all the sound of a loud pad, but not when I'm not on the brakes!

I bleed the system when I change the pads, in the correct order. I have recently replaced my rotors. I've used tons of brake-quiet grease behind and around the pads, and I have new shims. I've even taken a file and beveled all the edges around my pads.

When the car is jacked up and I turn my front wheel by hand, it feels like there's a slight bit of brake pressure. I'm not sure how much of this is normal...?

Any ideas to stop my perpetual squeaking? thanks!

Try a different pad and see if it still does that?.....or maybe you just need a little cleaning..

My street pads (axxis ultimate) are quiet, but I need a track pad for track events or else I'd brake-fade right off the course. Pretty much all track pads are loud, but something is wrong if they are making a lot of noise even when I'm off the brakes.

I had the same issue with CP+ pads and after asking around, I came to the conclusion that that is how it is. I went with cobalt GT sport pads because of this and it squeals a lot less and still provide similar brake performance.

-ak

ak said:
I had the same issue with CP+ pads and after asking around, I came to the conclusion that that is how it is. I went with cobalt GT sport pads because of this and it squeals a lot less and still provide similar brake performance.

-ak

Thanks for the info, ak. I'm glad I'm not alone. I didn't know of any quieter, similar performing pad to the CP+...I'll check out the cobalt.

I had the same track / street set up with you, and I thuoght it was because I didn't put shim nor quieter, thus having such noise... Didn't really bother me, or you can also try left foot tap the pedals, not at a point applying any real brake force. The noise will go away ...eh... for 5-15 seconds ;)

LoL! I was just doing the left foot drag this morning pulling into work to save embarassment. I think my noise may be worse than yours was...I turn heads like I'm dragging a tailpipe. And its become a conversation starter when in traffic on the freeway.

It could be the slide bolt is hanging up. This should be clean and lubed.

good luck

Good point David, but the calipers seem to slide by hand, and I even replaced and regreased the pins on one side. I will inspect the other side.

Has anyone tried spinning their front wheels by hand when the car is on jacks? Do you feel a little bit of brake resistance? I don't feel any brake contact right after I bleed the system, but after I pump the brakes the caliper pistons seems to apply a little constant pressure...I don't know if that is normal.

It's normal. You can cut the squeaking by shaving the two side edges of the brake pad at 45 degrees (the edge is the cause for the squeak and noted on Prime) but then you will have less pad material in contact with the rotor. If you are not into traking your car, you don't nee the Panther Plus, Carbotech's Bobcat is a good alternative and better than OEM. HTH.

ak said:
I've had the exact same experience as ak with both the CP+ pads and the GT Sport pads. I'm using the GT Sport pads now, and I'm very, very happy with them. They're a great all-around pad, for those who drive their cars on the street and on the track as well as those whose NSX never goes near a racetrack.

The folks at Cobalt Friction, which sells the GT Sport pads (as well as other pads under their own brand name as well as others), are extremely knowledgeable about brake pads in general and the NSX in particular, since Andie, the owner, is a long-time NSX owner. They sell also have great prices and great service.

I've had a similar issue to a small degree, i'm using Hawk HPS. My tech suspected rotor runout but i'm not too sure about that...

I've been using Panther + for almost a year and half, and that's how they are.
It squeaks even when you're not on brake, but not very loud.

I might take some flack, but..

The brakes shouldn't drag when not under pressure... When jacked up the wheel should spin freely. Some contact is normal, but resistance is not.

When you let off the brake the brake fluid leaves the reservoir in the caliper and pulls the piston and pad back, releasing force on the spinning rotor. What is left is one pad that may be touching the rotor as it spins, but this should *not* cause resistance. If there is resistance, something is resisting the caliper's release.

If you are having this problem is sounds like the caliper slides need to be cleaned, or preferably, replaced. The brake lines could also be a problem, but less likely. Also the caliper piston and bore might not be in as good of condition as we'd like to think.

You see, the age of a car plays a major role into caliper piston/bore deterioration, not just mileage. Water weighs less than brake fluid, and this concentrates the water way down at the caliper, and more specifically against the piston/bore. With the water sitting at the bottom of the brake system it is eating away at the metal whether the car is driven or not.. This is why it is a good reason to bleed the brakes more often than most do!!

If your brakes are dragging something isn't right; get your calipers rebuilt.

-Jeremy

SolidCitizen said:
Good point David, but the calipers seem to slide by hand, and I even replaced and regreased the pins on one side. I will inspect the other side.

Has anyone tried spinning their front wheels by hand when the car is on jacks? Do you feel a little bit of brake resistance? I don't feel any brake contact right after I bleed the system, but after I pump the brakes the caliper pistons seems to apply a little constant pressure...I don't know if that is normal.

No!! See my previous post!!

If it helps, I was talking to Larry Narcus, the owner of Carbotech Engineering today. They do offer shaffing of the Panther Plus pads for those who are interested; you have to ask for it. They cut 3/8" on both edges and as long as the cut is there, you will avoid the squeaking. Down side, you will lose 3/8" of the total surface which would be about perhaps 10% of pad's efficiency. And by the time the cut clears, you would be about to order a new set :wink:

Back