• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Broken timing belt?

C30A4 said:
then he explain again, I should check the trans fluid when the engine is running. otherwise, the reading will not be correct. Is that true?

According to the service manual you check the A/T fluid with the engine off but once it has reached full operating temperature.

C30A4 said:
On regarding of why my engine would kill itself off after a few seconds of idling, he suspect that my compressor might be the culprit. Well, he say he is still unsure about it. He will continue the investigation tomorrow.

You never got a Check Engine Light? Were you low on gas perhaps?

Jin1976 said:
Can you name me the shop you send your car to? I'm a little curious about this mechanic.

Europarts Automotives Sdn Bhd. at Gadong. At the end of the route beside Bridgestone Tyres. It is a brother workshop of Sin Hiap Hin.

Any comment with that workshop?

Hugh said:
According to the service manual you check the A/T fluid with the engine off but once it has reached full operating temperature.

But I always check my trans fluid before i run my engine, and before reaching full operating temp. But he tested it while the engine is running. So, that's mean his claim is still creditable?

Hugh said:
You never got a Check Engine Light? Were you low on gas perhaps?

Never have check engine light. The last time when I have this check engine light on was when I had a trouble fuel pump, last year. But it vanished since after I replaced it with a Denso one.

Low on gas?? Oh c'mmon, dude... If it was because of low on gas, then, what's the point I post my thread here and discussing with you guys?:confused:

If the manual says to check it with the engine off, and you check it with the engine running, the level will appear low even if the correct amount is in there. Check it again the right way to make sure he didn't overfill it. Even if it was low, I'm not sure why it would cause the engine to die.

Daedalus said:
If the manual says to check it with the engine off, and you check it with the engine running, the level will appear low even if the correct amount is in there. Check it again the right way to make sure he didn't overfill it. Even if it was low, I'm not sure why it would cause the engine to die.

The low tranny fluid was not the cause to kill my engine off. But it is the culprit of making my engine running and yet, my car motionless...

Here is the quote I got it from the description above... "I was driving on a single lane road at lower than average speed (@ around 52KM/H @ 1500 rpm). Suddenly, I heard a reving sound from the engine and my car lost its motion. I quickly pull it over to the road side and killed the engine immediately."

At that time, I'am the one who killed the engine, because I was afraid that my timing belt might have already broken.

Then After that, I gave myself a bet to ignite the engine hoping I could still manage to ignite my engine. But it only last about 10 - 20 sec then the engine killed itself. At this point, it is the cause of my failing A/C compressor. Now, my A/C compressor produces a scretching noise whenever the engine is running. I don't how and what makes it happen this way. But I was been told that I might need to look for a replacement or rebuilt it.

Due to I didn't have enough trans fluid in my Auto Tranny, my mechanic explained that the touque converter was having insufficient fluid to operate, that was why it got frees up, and my car became motionless even I still had my shift in "D" position. At that point, I thought my timing belt was broken, but it wasn't actually.

So, the low trans fluid & fail compressor are the main culprit in these entire incident.

C30A4 said:
But I always check my trans fluid before i run my engine, and before reaching full operating temp. But he tested it while the engine is running. So, that's mean his claim is still creditable?

90% of the cars on the road need to have their auto tranny fluid checked while the motor is running. The NSX is actually the first car I've come across where the factory wants you to check it with a hot but non-running engine. I'm sure a lot of mechanics would just make the incorrect assumption to check it while running.

I threw the "out of gas" scenario out there because sometimes you never know. :)

The A/C compressor problem might just be the A/C clutch or it could even be something as simple as the belt tensioner bearing. Those get noisy when they fail. Do a search, there has been a recent thread about it.

Edit: Here you go, found the thread I was talking about.

LOL! I think many of us misread your post then. When you suspected the belt, I thought it was because the engine died on its own, since it could not possibly have been the belt if the engine continued to run just fine. Most problems happen one at a time. Multiple unrelated problems occuring simultaneously are rare and difficult to diagnose. If your compressor is seizing up you should have it fixed before it contaminates the AC system.

Hugh said:
The A/C compressor problem might just be the A/C clutch or it could even be something as simple as the belt tensioner bearing. Those get noisy when they fail. Do a search, there has been a recent thread about it.

Edit: Here you go, found the thread I was talking about.

Thanks for the great info will look into it when I ask my mechanic to strip down the compressor :wink:

Daedalus said:
LOL! I think many of us misread your post then. When you suspected the belt, I thought it was because the engine died on its own, since it could not possibly have been the belt if the engine continued to run just fine. Most problems happen one at a time. Multiple unrelated problems occuring simultaneously are rare and difficult to diagnose. If your compressor is seizing up you should have it fixed before it contaminates the AC system.

I think my car is getting old, some of the parts are getting worn out... Guess that's how i got multiple unrelated problems and make it difficult to diagnose.

Anyway, really thanks God that my timing belt has not yet failed before i get to change it. Otherwise I will have more problems and headache with the repair. LoL

C30A4 said:
Thanks for the input, but I do not have a clutch for my NSX. It's A/T. :biggrin:
Well transmission fluid is a bit like a clutch is it not? So I was not too far off was I?

Regards,

Patrick
Ps glad to hear it’s not too expensive.

I have not been there. No comment on that shop. Talking about the Bridgestone Tyres shop I would not suggest sending your car there for spring installation.

C30A4 said:
Europarts Automotives Sdn Bhd. at Gadong. At the end of the route beside Bridgestone Tyres. It is a brother workshop of Sin Hiap Hin.

Any comment with that workshop?

Back