• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

buying a 10 year old car, does this bug you inside? hehe

liftshard said:
Put it this way, the B2 came out in 1989 and people still go, "oh, dizzamn" when one does an overfly.

WTF:D

vtec888 said:
tell them it's a 2010 model...they wouldn't know.

It's true that most people do not know what it is....................

There have been many times where someone asks me if those are the new acura's that just came out. They are completely blown away when i tell them its a 1991. I even thought about changing my tag to say "91 BABEE" or "ITS A 91"

Hey

Brought mine in April 2005, a 1994 (paid $40,000) with 14000miles it has 17000 now, it’s black in color and looks new. Saw a friend's newer Vette today, blue in color the paint looks faded, the clear coat is minimal it‘s supposedly a show car. :eek: What’s my point, that I’m VERY :biggrin: proud to own 11 year old car that has the quality and uniqueness of the NSX It’s going to easily last another eleven years. These cars are going be consisted a classic one day. :wink:

zahntech said:
I also saw your other thread and if your worried about depreciation and cost of ownership then you better go buy an Accord or a Camry, as for the 96 NSX it has already lost most of the value its going to and as far as buying a 10 year old car? so what its a Honda. It shares a lot of parts and technology with the Acura Legend/RL and I would buy a 96 RL in a heartbeat if I was looking for that kind of car.

Well I have a 94 and for me (having limited resources) depreciation is a huge factor. So are running costs. I choose my cars very carefully. My last car was an 88 911. I had it for a little over a year and sold it for more than I bought it for. Now I’m not saying I made a profit but that is a cheap car is it not? IMHO you are not going to lose a lot of money on an old NSX and the running costs are not too bad either. On the other hand there are a lot of cars I could afford to buy but I could not afford the deprecation or running costs e.g. an old Ferrari (very high servicing costs) New STI big time deprecation) With any of these older cars it is prudent to have some cash in the bank for emergencies however on average it is possible to drive an old exotic for a lower total cost of ownership than the guy next door with the new Toyota Camry. I don’t give a rat’s bum what anyone else thinks but if you do it’s cool because most people will not know any of this and will think you are being very extravagant.

Regards,

Patrick

PassingBy said:
I mean, if I was to tell people I just bought a car for $xx,xxx that was 10 years old I would blush!
I was in your shoes back in 2001 .. same quote .. except that I had to add " with 91000 miles, sight unseen from 2000 miles away from a guy I didn't know, in another country, who raced it on weekends". Now that will make you blush .. and will have your friends checking your mental health! Best damn thing I ever did.

My only advice would be not to overlook the "higher highway mileage" ones that have had the 90K service done (and likely the clutch too) but with documented evidence of proper maintenance. These are often available at a significant discount because the general public doesn't know what a true NSX afficianado understands .. which is that the car continues to be a supercar bargain well after that point because, after all, it's a Honda.

wow, great replies. It seems some people are attacking me for my question, I don't mean to 'insult' you guys in any way if that is how some of you have taken it (maybe I struck your ego's??? hehe)

I love the car, I am just not a rich person (yet! j/k).

I have enough to buy the car outright, but I've been told that buying a originally high priced car that is 'old' is not a good idea...especially someone like me who can't really repair the car myself (unlike others who can do some small repair work themselves).

I'm 27, and i've been told the insurance is very high on this car....something I'm going to research soon.

If the issue was, buy the car for around $40K, maybe spend $2K a year on operating costs (tires, small repair work here and there) I would be more comfortable with the decision. I guess it comes down to buying a car that was well maintained.

Let me search for some 'horror' stories of people buying abused cars so I know what my potential loss can be hahaha (as you can tell i'm overly paranoid!!!)

I've driven in 2 nsx's, it has been my fav. car for years but i've never been in a position to think about getting one. The thought of having one is a dream really, but it is somethign that can be realized if I ever get the guts.

haha well if my original post felt like an attack it wasnt =)
its just that i've had to deal with a barrage of negativity from my buddies all the time, LOL especially when they totally blow me away with their 500 rwhp Lancer Evolutions LOL!! but seriously, it is a car that for some people
just love to hate, (i think thats part of the reason i got it :biggrin:) but yeah,
my original comment was mainly to preface that yeah, you will get alot of negative press from alot of snobbish/pragmatic enthusiasts
(usually i just throw a Hadoken at them to make them shut up :biggrin:)

PassingBy said:
wow, great replies. It seems some people are attacking me for my question, I don't mean to 'insult' you guys in any way if that is how some of you have taken it (maybe I struck your ego's??? hehe)

I love the car, I am just not a rich person (yet! j/k).

I have enough to buy the car outright, but I've been told that buying a originally high priced car that is 'old' is not a good idea...especially someone like me who can't really repair the car myself (unlike others who can do some small repair work themselves).

I'm 27, and i've been told the insurance is very high on this car....something I'm going to research soon.

If the issue was, buy the car for around $40K, maybe spend $2K a year on operating costs (tires, small repair work here and there) I would be more comfortable with the decision. I guess it comes down to buying a car that was well maintained.

Let me search for some 'horror' stories of people buying abused cars so I know what my potential loss can be hahaha (as you can tell i'm overly paranoid!!!)

I've driven in 2 nsx's, it has been my fav. car for years but i've never been in a position to think about getting one. The thought of having one is a dream really, but it is somethign that can be realized if I ever get the guts.

PassingBy said:
Whoever told you that is wrong. Heck, I pay more to insure my Integra than to insure my NSX.

The "research" is easy. Call your insurance company, and they can tell you exactly how much it will cost you. You can also get quotes on the 'net from Insweb.com and Insure.com.

They symbol for the NSX is really high. Some insurance company quote based weighting it towards the symbol and some weight it towards the year. If you look around the NSX insurance is about the same as a brand new non sports car :smile:

Since we haven't scared you away yet, I'll give you some more details.

I have a 2001 Accord that costs $228/6 months to insure. NSX is $249. Progressive.

A clutch costs about $2300 to replace, mine just blew out at 50k. Timing belt cost at least $1200 ( I think, haven't done one yet). Good tires are going to cost you at least $600 for four and the backs last about 10k miles. Rear brake pads alone are like $120 from the dealer. If it's in the Snap Ring range and needs the fix, tach on another $750.

My CD player only works about half the time. My windows go up slower than molasses. The ABS system squeeks and needs exercising (or is that exorcizing? =) about once a month. About 5 times a summer I get 2nd degree burns on my forearm.

That being said, I sold a heavily modified C5 to buy this car and I don't regret it one bit. If someone offered me two C5s for it I wouldn't take it. If some offered me a C6, I wouldn't take it. If they were about to foreclose on my house.... ok, maybe I would sell it. Maybe.

And talk about attention. You will never go anywhere unnoticed again.

PassingBy said:
Hi,

I would love to get a NSX, and if I ever do it seems I would be getting one that is pre '96/97.

If a car is around 10 years old, but has low miles....is it really considered an 'old' car? I mean, if I was to tell people I just bought a car for $xx,xxx that was 10 years old I would blush! hahaha

thoughts? (just want to get this thought past me hehe)

Yes, its an "old" car regardless of mileage. If you don't want to blush, quit telling everyone how much you paid and that it was 10 years old.

Those are my thoughts.

wctsao said:
Yes, its an "old" car regardless of mileage. If you don't want to blush, quit telling everyone how much you paid and that it was 10 years old.

Those are my thoughts.
no kidding. buy what you want. eff other people.

Sheesh, I drive an 11 year old Accord, and the only thing that's going to replace it is an NSX. If you have a well built car that you take care of, age doesn't really matter unless you freak out having to replace brake pads and such. I was going to buy a new car a year or so ago, but after lots of test drives, I saw no point in spending a lot more money for a little more car.

Back