• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying my first NSX!

Hi from Seattle! My name is Joe and I've recently decided to pull the trigger and finally pick up an NSX!! I'm coming from a 04 STi so this car will be a bit of a change for me but I've always loved them and I decided now is the right time to pick one up!

So I think I've read just about every tread that caught my eye and all the wiki purchasing/inspecting/things to watch out for info but I still have a couple questions that I haven't found the answers to.

-Between the 91-94 stock models, is there a better year to buy or is it more of a personal preference?

-If you're comparing two stock 91-94 NSXs that both check out with a mechanic, have both had their major services done and one has about 50k and one has 100k, how much should mileage weigh in my decision (Say $23k for high mileage vs $30k for the lower).

-Since some of these vehicles are 18 years old, is it better to buy a NSX from a drier local rather then somewhere like, well...Seattle? lol

-Should salvage title cars even be considered?

I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions before I find the right local NSX (or one I'm willing to fly to) but that's what I have so far!! I'm really looking forward to becoming part of the family!!!

Welcome. A new guy that actually does research first??!! No way !!! (j/k) :smile:

For those years, see if the window fix it thingies have been replaced or regulators replaced. Depending on the year see if it is in snap ring range & if it went bad was it repaired correctly. Chances are that at some point it was converted to the R134 refrigerant, but it can't hurt to check. As far as moisture, most of the car is aluminum so it isn't much of a concern. I think you would want to find one that was babied & well cared for (RECEIPTS, RECEIPTS, RECEIPTS!!) rather than rode hard & neglected. Rode hard & well cared for isn't so bad either.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a salvage title. Poor resale, maybe problems, car always has a "stigma" whether it deserves it or not. I doubt the savings are worth the potential risk & aggravation as well as lower resale value.

Don't forget to factor air fare, lodging, PPI, & maybe a transporter into your budget. Don't be afraid to spend money & walk away if it's the wrong car, you don't want a $25K problem.

I used to have a '94 Legacy Touring wagon (last of the turbos before the WRX made it over). Hope you find one you like. Trust me, you'll like it way more than the Sti.

Stay away from salvage cars with one exception http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116855. Before you go outside the loop, there are recently many nice NSX's from Prime members in the classifieds here.

I've also noticed that some "first time posters" are just joining Prime to list their car for sale, so suffice it to say, whether it be a long time owner/poster, do your research, get a PPI, and ask if anyone knows the particular car that you're looking at. This is a great place for information, and many of the members will be willing to look at a car with you or for you, just ask!

I have some thoughts on the salvage title thing. I am sort of a newbie to this list, but up in years, (I am going to be 63 in May...) plus I thought about it for a long time before I bought my NSX.

I knew that having salvage in the history would hurt my resale, but I was not planning to sell. At my age, the car will probably outlive me...so that was not really a factor. Also, what was the reason for the salvage, and was I willing to live with it?

In my case, the car had been stolen and partially stripped, had sat for years in a warehouse, and had extremely low miles. The body was very tight, the seats were great, and the car gave every indication of being what the odometer said it was. The salvage title and it being an automatic put the car at the low end of the price range, that was the plus side. (I wanted an automatic, old guy, lazy, etc...)

The minus side was that the car needed a bunch of little piddley stuff to make it right. It needed a cable reel in the steering column, the cruise control was disconnected at the column plug in, the passenger side mirror electric plug was disconnected, the stereo head was bad, one of the speakers needed rebuilding, the hood was close, but not quite a perfect fit (I will be putting it up for sale cheap) there are scratches in the front and back glass, (winter project - polish out the scratches) it needed a new ingition switch and then the door locks had to be rekeyed to match the ignition, and (trivia) the paint on the fender mounting bolts shows that they have been taken off and replaced, not original paint but looks great, etc, etc. Semi-project car. Took 5 months to get it right, but now it's right. Very, very, right...

Bottom line: I got a 91 Formula Red NSX with less than 20,000 miles for less than $25,000. But then I had to spend $4,000 to make it right. End game: I now have a 91 with 22,500 miles on it that runs perfect and has no issues (other than a few cosmetic that I can live with) for under 30 grand. Since I am using it as a daily driver, and will keep it until my son inherits it, that seems like a reasonable way to go.

If I was planning to sell it within a few years, then I might have done better to have waited as long as necessary and been as picky as possible to get a cheap perfect one. However - at my age, it is possible that I might have waited too long and never have gotten one at all...

So there you go. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.
Worth what ye paid fer it...
rp

Attachments

• NSX.jpg
    NSX.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 106
I used to work for Acura when the NSX first came out. If it was me buying a early made NSX I would prefer the 94. The first year or two seem to have the most problems. Like any production car the first year always has a lot of bugs. Also I think in 94 is when they changed the rims that look a lot better.
As far as mileage.... Mileage is really what counts on any car. Unless you plan on building a new motor you will be much happier with a lower mileage car. The NSX V6 motor is a great motor but as you get to 100k miles you have to worry about oil leaks all over and replacing anything rubber, hoses, gaskets etc. Also like any car once you are over 100k miles things just wear and need to be replaced, suspension bushings, shocks, motor mounts, cv boots, and the list goes on and on. I hope this helps you on your new purchase. Let us know what you end up buying.

If you're serious about it, you should try and meet up at one of the local Seattle meets and talk to some of us. We can definitely give you some pointers on what to look for, etc.

When I bought my 1st NSX, I brought a local guy with me (saberX) to look at the car with me before I laid down the cash.

We're all willing to help...just let us know!

Welcome and congrats. I had a 2007 STI satin white model for about a year. Wife hated the wing and gold wheels..ect it is not longer around :rolleyes:
The STI is a excellent vehicle to drive and have fun in. I didn't really baby the sti like I do my NSX. I am always worrying about breaking something, something tearing up, and just the normal wear and tear on a 17 year old ride. I have just put about 5k miles on my nsx in about 2.2 years, and it's a excellent balance of everything a person could want in a exotic vehicle. I will say one thing in that the nsx stock stereo is prob better than the sti radio...the worst I think I have ever heard IMO.
1991 is into year...maybe thats important, 1992 was first year of the GPW (Grand Prix White) Which is somewhat popular and could add a little more value. 1993 had 2 airbags...I believe that power steering was introduced as well this year...1994 not much to say...

I daily my nsx, but it's a 1.3 mile drive to work.

No salvage title vehicle...unless track car.

Insurance is cheaper on the nsx, some areas don't really keep up wth taxable value so you can also get lucky and save money...the sti carries a stong book and also the insurance is kinda high.

Last edited:
Welcome and Good Luck on your search. :smile:

The best thing to do is have a Pre-Purchase inspection and a test drive then let the outcome tell you if that is the right car.

Pay attention to how well the the A/C system operates, how well the windows roll up and down, and keep out of the snap ring range and you should be fine.

Early cars have no cupholders, pass airbag or assisted power steering, but do have a larger glove compartment and are lighter. Most owners swap the wheels and align to the '93+ specs so I didn't take that into consideration.

Refer to changes by year in the wiki. http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

If you do pick up an NSX, you will be joined by another new Seattle owner. The new owner of my NSX is flying in today to pick her up. Very sad day for me :frown: but a happy day for the new owner. :biggrin:

If you do pick up an NSX, you will be joined by another new Seattle owner. The new owner of my NSX is flying in today to pick her up. Very sad day for me :frown: but a happy day for the new owner. :biggrin:

This means i won't be the only midnight pearl nsx in washington just great now what am i going to do.......

Wow!!! I come back the next day and I have 11 very constructive replies....that would have never happened on the subaru forums!

So a little more back story on how I came to my NSX decision. I've always wanted one since I saw it in Pulp Fiction. For me, it's much more about the styling and prestige than it's power. It was a tough decision between the STi and an NSX with my last car purchase but I went with the STi since I'm an avid snowboarder/surfer. Recently, someone decided that my STi no longer needed to be in my possession, stole it and stripped it. After a bit of a wait, it was found last week and now I'm waiting for the insurance company to cut me a check! Ah the joys of vehicle ownership sometimes!!

So I'm slowly narrowing down my choice...somewhere between 91-94, preferably a 93 or 94. Mileage wise I'm shooting for something between 50-80k. Color wise...honestly I think they all look great so that's not a major concern but I'd be happiest with a black interior. I think I'm also going to be avoiding the salvage. While I don't plan on selling off any cars I buy, it's still a good idea for me to be concerned about the resale value since I'm 30 and I like to stay flexible.

I'll definitely be taking it in for an inspection. I've read that a local Acura dealership (Lynnwood) has a great master mechanic so I plan on having him look over anything I buy that's local. If I end up buying something out of state I'll definitely be asking for shop recommendations where ever the car is located.

Once again, thanks for all the kind words, welcomes and advice!! I'm going to keep on researching, searching and drooling over all your beautiful cars!!

Oh, one more thing....do any Seattle people know anything about this NSX? (think the link will only work for one more day...looks like it's listing is about to expire)

completed major services is also important. my first nsx several years ago need clutch/trans work within 12 months that cost me 3000 dollars. If you find a low priced vehicle remember to factor in the cost of repairs.

completed major services is also important. my first nsx several years ago need clutch/trans work within 12 months that cost me 3000 dollars. If you find a low priced vehicle remember to factor in the cost of repairs.

Ah yes, repair costs...I know ALL about repair costs. Out of the 8 cars I've owned, 4 of them have been complete lemons (2 even after complete inspections by my mechanic...the other two, well I was just a dumb teenager with no patience). These days I have about $3k in savings just for car emergencies and of course once I created this rainy day fund I haven't had any issues (knock on wood).

I'll definitely be looking for one with completed major services too....would rather buy things to make my car shinny then fixing windows, timing belt/water pump or transmission issues. :)

You hang out on nasioc & iwsti too much then! :tongue: legacycentral.org is pretty good, but not applicable to STis.

Wow!!! I come back the next day and I have 11 very constructive replies....that would have never happened on the subaru forums!

So a little more back story on how I came to my NSX decision. I've always wanted one since I saw it in Pulp Fiction. For me, it's much more about the styling and prestige than it's power. It was a tough decision between the STi and an NSX with my last car purchase but I went with the STi since I'm an avid snowboarder/surfer. Recently, someone decided that my STi no longer needed to be in my possession, stole it and stripped it. After a bit of a wait, it was found last week and now I'm waiting for the insurance company to cut me a check! Ah the joys of vehicle ownership sometimes!!

So I'm slowly narrowing down my choice...somewhere between 91-94, preferably a 93 or 94. Mileage wise I'm shooting for something between 50-80k. Color wise...honestly I think they all look great so that's not a major concern but I'd be happiest with a black interior. I think I'm also going to be avoiding the salvage. While I don't plan on selling off any cars I buy, it's still a good idea for me to be concerned about the resale value since I'm 30 and I like to stay flexible.

I'll definitely be taking it in for an inspection. I've read that a local Acura dealership (Lynnwood) has a great master mechanic so I plan on having him look over anything I buy that's local. If I end up buying something out of state I'll definitely be asking for shop recommendations where ever the car is located.

Once again, thanks for all the kind words, welcomes and advice!! I'm going to keep on researching, searching and drooling over all your beautiful cars!!

Oh, one more thing....do any Seattle people know anything about this NSX? (think the link will only work for one more day...looks like it's listing is about to expire)

You hang out on nasioc & iwsti too much then! :tongue: legacycentral.org is pretty good, but not applicable to STis.

Hahahaha, how did you know?!?!

I think I posted 6 times in 2 years on nasioc. After getting reamed for asking a couple questions that I couldn't find a thread for I just gave up. Never went to any of the meets either. I figured if most of them were that nasty to each other over the net, I didn't really want to meet them in person. Met a few helpful people on iwsti though.

Back