• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Buying out of state car:have questions!

Hey guys, so im in process of working out a deal for an out of state car,and was wondering what the proper "order" i should follow be. Should i have the pre purchase inspection done, then finalize the selling price, then fly out and see it, or what? My plan was to do just that:
1. have car checked out by acura
2. finalize price
3.send deposit
4.fly out and see it in person
5. have it shipped it i like it, giving owner rest of the money then.

is there anything wrong with this sequence of events that you guys see? let me know,thanks alot!

Does seller or his bank have title readily available? If not you will need to wait for it to appear & get signed over to you which likely means you will need to wait on shipping the car. Is the title paper or a CA paperless one? This will add time too. If you are flying home, this could screw up your return trip or necessitate a 2nd trip, or the car sits while you both wait for title to appear. Are you shipping car home or driving it? All things to consider. In the end it depends on how much you & seller trust each other to work it out.

skyline15 said:
Hey guys, so im in process of working out a deal for an out of state car,and was wondering what the proper "order" i should follow be. Should i have the pre purchase inspection done, then finalize the selling price, then fly out and see it, or what? My plan was to do just that:
1. have car checked out by acura
2. finalize price
3.send deposit
4.fly out and see it in person
5. have it shipped it i like it, giving owner rest of the money then.

is there anything wrong with this sequence of events that you guys see? let me know,thanks alot!
congrats.

I'd do #3, 4, 1, 2, 5, in that order. Oh yea, #6 - prepare for NSXPO 2005. :biggrin:

I bought my car from NJ and I live in CA.

First I asked for and received a ton of good quality digital pictures showing all aspects of the car including the underside, trunks, engine, etc.

I knew the car was Acura certified already since it was at an Acura dealership.

I then discussed price with them and got the price over the telephone to one that was reasonable enough for me to fly to NJ and see the car.

I flew and saw it and then we negotiated the final price and I bought the car. I then made plans to have it shipped to CA via Horseless Carriage.

Transaction went well and I got the car just over a year ago and have loved it ever since. Good luck.

NsXMas said:
I'd do #3, 4, 1, 2, 5, in that order.
Huh? The whole idea of a dealer or qualified mechanic doing the pre-purchase inspection (step 1) is to save you the time, expense, and trouble of flying out to see it yourself (step 4) in case the car is not being described accurately. :confused:

I agree with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I thought about the possibility of reversing 1 and 2, with a re-negotiation of price if any issues are uncovered, but decided it's probably better to just do it in the sequence originally posted.

$.02

I am in the same process buying a car in tx and driving it to fla this week. The seller and I agreed on a price. I told the seller we would have the car checked out by the dealer(cost me$95.00 using the NSX PRIME CHECKLIST) and then renegotiate if necessary. The car checked out fine except for valve cover leak, semi weak trunk struts and a worn spare tire. We agreed for the seller to cover the valve cover leak.

I sent the seller a deposit and he is UPS-ing me the title and vin/truth in mileage certification. I will get a plate from tag office in florida, insure the car and arrive with final payment in a bank check.

Good luck!

Brian

JOPRIMO said:
Ever find out why the spare is worn?
I don't know anything about this car, but usually, the spare is worn because it was used as a temporary replacement for a flat tire...

Back