• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Calling all Automatic Owners

Winkler, Manitoba, Canada - near Winnipeg
Hi Guys, I've really enjoyed observing Prime "from afar" for some time now. Its a daily read for me, and I really enjoy it. I say "afar" because I don't own an NSX...yet...but have been looking for at least 2 yrs on and off...(Winters tend to equate to "off" time)..anyway, not unlike a previous poster, I have certain criteria I am looking for....(some may say a Wish List)..anyway, of late, there have been some X's that have all I am looking for, yes, even price...except they are automatics....so, I am wondering if you can shed some brief commentary on the ins and outs of owning the autostick....I should tell you right off that I am not a performance enthusiast...I have a 2003 TL -S and that is fine for me when I want a little ooomph!...my initial thoughts are : can the tranny stand up to "spirited driving"...some quick starts and stops now and then, but no burnouts....will be a summer-weekend driver only.....what about revving....again can you rev it up in a lower gear and still be ok with tranny? At 250 hp 3.0, is the engine going to feel dissappointing....or only if I was trying to race it (which I won't)....is handling and day to day mannerisms consistent with the manual? I have a version of a trip tronic in my TL, and its fun once and a while, but really, I just leave it in D and go...seems fine....I fell in love with the NSX in 1990 and mostly because of looks and style and Honda...nothing else....so if I was to buy an auto, will I have any regrets....(my last manual was a Prelude back in the late 80's and it was a blast when I was 20, but that was 25 yrs ago).....my son drives and automatic Charger RT and he seems to enjoy it just fine....a clutch and changing gears might actually make that car too much for him to handle...I used to own a 95 Type 2 Legend coupe....I regrret selling it to by the TL....not that the TL is bad, just that the Legend in Type 2 form was fabulous!.

Anyway-in summary ,driving mannerisms (+/-)..maintenence issues
(+/-) ....reliability (+/-) pricing (+/-)as in should it be less or more to buy one....and any other comments you may have...

Sorry for the long post, I have read through some historical threads through searches and already got some good comments...just wanted to see if anyone had anything new to add, especially if someone has owned and auto and manual at some point and can give me good comparisons............again , love the forum!

Hey, I noticed you are from, or close to Winnipeg. I am in the process of getting my NSX in the next couple of months. It is a standard so I can't help you on the Auto vs Manual debate. But, it sure would be nice to have another NSX owner so close to home.
Good luck on your search.
Dwayne

I have a 2002 TL-S as my daily driver. I bought my NSX a bit over a year ago and it is the first manual transmission car I've ever owned. I enjoy it so much that I want to put a 6-speed into my TL if that gives you any idea. I thought the TL was fine too until I got the NSX. Now the TL puts me to sleep. The stock nsx clutch is amazingly easy to drive.
I have never driven an automatic NSX though.

The automatic has a lower redline, but they seem to be cheaper due to lower demand.

You should try driving both before you decide.

*EDIT*
BTW, I think you'll find that the NSX in stock form isn't that much faster than the TL. The TL-S is about 6.2 seconds 0-60. A manual 91 nsx is in the 5.7 second range. An automatic is probably close to the same speed, and might even feel slower accelerating than the TL.

Last edited:
I have an AT but this is purely subjective as I know the NSX'rs out there give me some smack about it now and then. :tongue::wink::biggrin:

For what it's worth. I have zero issues with my car because I bought it primarily to own, and cruise around in on weekends. Occasional spirited driving, again the car is fine for me. I have been on a few drives with fellow NSX'rs and have been able to keep up. Granted I am usually in the back, but that's fine. As long as I can keep you guys in sight and catch up at the next light I am good. I guess you can say I bought the car more for looks and the fact that it's a Honda "halo" car with technology derived from F1, which I am a fan of.

If you can stand the occasional grimace you get from other sports car owners when they find out its an AT you should be ok. :tongue: Arguably its not as fun as the manual, but again it all depends on what works for you. :redface:

Maintenance/reliability - No issues to date. (I have had my car since 99)

Pricing - They tend to be cheaper because of the lack of demand. But hey you can argue your car is rare. :wink:

Track time - NA I have never tracked my car or got it on to an HPDE or autocross, though I have heard of some folks that have. Hopefully they chime in for you.

Mods - I have I/H/E, and that's about it. I also know some AT's out there that got SC in them so hopefully they get you info too.

Hope that helps. :smile:

I have an Auto 2008 Acura TL-TypeS/navi with paddle shifters, its Gay. it has more Hp 286, but my 1992 NSX Manual only has 270hp(stock), there is no question which car is better performance wise. I wish I could have got my TL in manual but they didn’t have one in stock when I went to buy it. I had a 2005 TL/navi auto sq shift 270hp slow compare to the NSX. if you get an auto NSX its kinda defeating the purpose of owning an exotic. Auto NSX has a De-Tuned Engine, 240Hp its dog slow, compared to the Manual. dont do it, get a manual NSX. besides the TL's I have always had Manual transmissions. way more fun to drive. Stay Young with a stick. and get more respect with a Stick.

and one more thing. these low-life criminal usually cant drive stick. they break in see it stick and dont steal it. They never had a chance to learn in the Trailerparks or the Hoods

Last edited:
Thanks guys so far...keep em coming....no question it is subjective...I'm really hoping someone who has good familiarity with each can provide some real life "noticeable" things I would notice....its like the debate....if the "right" car came along (mileage, color, condition, price) should I overlook it just because of being an auto, vs. waiting for potentially one that may not come along...or have something outside of the parameters I have set for myself (mileage, color, condition, price)? I'm getting the itch to pull the trigger on something soon....would it be fair to say that a manual will likely have more "harder" ,miles than an auto? or the fact it is a Honda after all, pretty much negates "hard" miles being a deficiency?

Anyway, always appreciate the comments, factual and subjective as they may be...

While I am sure there is no real objective problems with an auto tranny (it is still, after all, a Honda), I would never consider getting a sports car with an automatic. To me, operating a stick shift is part of the joy of driving a sports car. It doesn't matter if it is faster or slower than an auto, or more or less reliable, or whether it is easier or harder to drive in traffic. It is the simple act of actually being involved in driving that matters.

That's why it pains me to see more and more sports cars coming out only with automatic trannies. Admittedly, they aren't the old-fashioned planetary gearboxes with a torque convertor, but pressing paddles isn't the same as shifting.

Well anyone can tell you Especially here on NSX PRIME, that getting that itchy finger to buy will be your down fall. lots of guys on here have waited 2-3 years before they found the right one. so if you got the money to spend now, then think of how much you will have a year from now, if your dont spend any of it. so say you have 20K now, dont spend it, keep putting money into your Lucky Gold Pot, and in a year you might have 35K, that puts you into a whole different Class of NSX, meaning the shape its in how many miles etc. and a newer version like a 97-2000, Dont get me wrong I love my 1992, but if you get itchy then dont do it, you will thank us later,

Wheres TIM on this, he usually has gggrrreeeaatt info on this kinda stuff.

I have an Auto 2008 Acura TL-TypeS/navi with paddle shifters, its Gay. it has more Hp 286, but my 1992 NSX Manual only has 270hp(stock), there is no question which car is better performance wise. I wish I could have got my TL in manual but they didn’t have one in stock when I went to buy it. I had a 2005 TL/navi auto sq shift 270hp slow compare to the NSX. if you get an auto NSX its kinda defeating the purpose of owning an exotic. Auto NSX has a De-Tuned Engine, 240Hp its dog slow, compared to the Manual. dont do it, get a manual NSX. besides the TL's I have always had Manual transmissions. way more fun to drive. Stay Young with a stick. and get more respect with a Stick.

and one more thing. these low-life criminal usually cant drive stick. they break in see it stick and dont steal it. They never had a chance to learn in the Trailerparks or the Hoods

Shawn in your post you describe 2 of your TL's as auto and then say "besides the TL's I have always had Manual transmissions." Am I missing something or did you just mis-type? Automatic, manual or both?

I meant to say that my last two TL's have been auto, but all my life all of my other cars have been Manuals. sorry

Slycurt,
I have a 1994 auto NSX and I enjoy it for weekend use mostly. I also take it on longer vacation trips once or twice a year. I have an auto out of necessity because I use hand controls.
I did add a supercharger to my car last year because I have always wanted one and because of how well the NSX responds to a little forced induction. In stock form an auto NSX is plenty fast enough for street use.
As you may know from your time here on Prime, all auto NSX’s from ’91 to ’05 are rated at 250 hp from the factory. Starting in ’95 through ’05 autos came with sport shift.
I agree with what some have said that a true sports car should be manual. I am also grateful that this car was built as an auto because if they hadn’t I wouldn’t have been able to own and drive such a great car.
An auto NSX is by no means a bad car. On the contrary it is a very good car but not quit as cutting edge when you are pushing the limits of the driving experience.
I think you should decide for yourself which transmission is best for you. If you can drive or get a ride in both before you decide.

Owners above, esp NSXrunner and LooseNut, have thoughtful information. :wink:

Seems as though, notwithstanding that two 2005 silverstone automatic NSX's are presently offered, the 2002 and newer NSX automatics should always be rarely offered for sale and relatively sought after for whichever reason. Just *might* have something to do with only about 32 ever available.

You have a PM!

Oh yeah one more thing to consider. I tried to find it but failed so I am not sure if it was from this site or another. For a while in Japan, AT NSX's were in demand a little more because folks were looking to build up the car for race, track, or show. The logic behind it was because the AT's tended to not have been abused as much as the manuals. Hence they would buy the car, swap out the tranny, and go from there. Granted it is an expensive route to go, but just another consideration in case you had some other ideas for the cars future in mind. :cool:

The 4 speed auto in the NSX is old technology....a slushbox coupled w/detuned motor.

Owned a 97 for a short time. A complete waste in an NSX

Last edited:
Here's the demographics - 64 years old, have autocrossed and raced various cars and motorcycles all my life, still have a couple crotch rockets - and a 91 NSX AT. 99% of the time you will be perfectly content with it - every once in a while you will want to be crazy and wish you had the manual.

Not that's it's slow... Last year at this time, a bunch of us decided to go for a M/C ride to Shady Valley, my son was with us and his bike was at home, so instead of borrowing one of my spares, he asked for the NSX.

When we got to this stretch here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksqcUSQydqs) , he just left it in third and waxed our butts. We did good to keep him within 100yds. And it was only the 2nd time he had ever driven the car.

So IMO, if I am riding a 100HP Honda and can barely make up on the straights what I am losing in the turns (while dragging the pegs and scaring myself) an auto NSX is good enough. Not that the manual wouldn't be fun once in a while, but 99% of the time, I'm VERY content.

Worth what ya paid fer it.

Before I purchased my manual NSX, I originally wanted an automatic. So I test drove a 1997 AT NSX, and I liked how it felt since it was the first time I ever drove one. But after shopping around for a long while, I decided to go with the manual without looking back. To me, it's lot more funner to drive. I would definitely try them both before buying.

It appears the general consensus tells you to drive both and make a decision. I own an AT Grand National and I'm very happy with the AT. But for me its a sports car and like my former 1964 Mini Cooper 1071S it has to be a manual. Personally, I'd recommend the manual for the driving experience.....but in the end it is what feels good for you. It is what you want to do. Good luck mate....

p.s. you may want to research whether or not the transmission can be "tuned". As some have said AT's are a slushbox, but when tuned they go from "slushbox" to "monster"......

Slycurt...
This is just my opinion...
I can totally relate to you and what you were saying. I have a '94 Legend coupe with a Type II motor. Before that I had an '88 Legend coupe. See the trend?? I have always been been a fan of the Acura (Honda, of course!) cars, as they have been really good to me. I have also always dreamed of owning an NSX someday as my "dream car". The reason I love the Legend coupes and the NSXs are for their stunning looks and handling and performance. The fact that they are really reliable cars make it so much sweeter. This "advice" or "opinions" you seek really shouldn't make any difference in the car you want. In the end it is you, solely, who will need to be happy with you car, not others being happy or sad that you made the right or wrong choice in a car. Ultimately, if you always wanted an automatic sports car and it makes you happy, far be it for me or anyone to tell you otherwise. If it makes any difference, whenever I go to the garage to go somewhere, I can't help to smile and shake my head and think to myself how lucky I am. I have the privilege to drive this wonderful, handmade piece of machinery. And it's mine. Then I start the engine and put it into drive.

Well a sports car should be manual is a common opinion (i mostly agree) i think if you should drive both the really experience the difference although chances are really high you'd want to have the manual.

Anyway a F-Matic NSX (94+) might be a bit better option since you can manually shift not that it's that much better i've heard.

There is a JDM automatic control unit hack, called AT-PRO (by Ritmo) iirc you can set shift points and so.

Just catching up on all the fresh opinions...and I agree with everyone, that driving both might be the best way to determine preference. ITs a bit easier said than done, without possibly taking a trip, since there are few to begin with up in this next of the great white north, and finding an auto may be even tougher...but we'll let things kind of fall into place...I am leaning towards that manual option...just because .....thats all...just because...but will keep my eyes open for the right chance to drive the auto...again, appreciate all the opinions, and I really like how you all can help new buyers out when looking at a prospective purchase....I think all of us new potential owners get caught up on how well its detailed, and seem to forget the reality of some deferred maint. issues, or short/long term repairs needed, and factor that into purchase price....I hope the next time I have a question for you all, its about your opinion of an "X" that has caught my eye....cheers everyone! Curtis

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I was in the market for an NSX. Preferably 95+ since a convertable or targa top is a must if you live in the LA area. Anyways, I wanted to go with a manual for the obvious reasons that have been mentioned. However in my hunt for "the one" I came across a 95' that was an AT. Yes the AT did turn me off, but the final asking price was what sealed the deal (less than what it would have cost for a manual 91-92). It all comes down to whats important to you. For me it was:

1) 95'+ NSX
2) Very good price
3) Manual
4) Red color

Long story short, I did end up buying the car and despite some gripes from other car guys, it doesnt matter to me. Main purpose for the car is a weekend cruiser, and I dont really have any intentions of tracking etc. Its been almost a year, and I have no regrets. The money I saved I was able to buy a set of wheels and an exhaust. Obviously its not as fast as the MT but IMO it has enough oopmh to keep me happy. In the end, I still ended up with my dream car.

Thats my 2cents, Good luck on your search!

^^^ Same for me in a nutshell but substitue a 98 and blk/blk! 3 years and still lovin' it!
-Robert

Auto NSX: a secret for the cognoscenti. We fan the MT fanboi flames of hate to keep the costs down. Shhh….:wink:

Thoughts re: the Auto NSX? Well ….
It’s fast enough to get you locked up,
It looks just like an NSX from the outside, resembles an NSX on the inside, and most of the parts are interchangeable,
Cost more when new, but costs less now,
Almost certainly hasn’t been abused or raced.
A MT NSX might be twice as good as an Auto NSX. But an Auto NSX is 100 times better than no NSX at all.

I don’t know if I’d ever sell my Auto because I love this specific car so much, have “known” this car since the original owner bought it new. That said, I’d love to have a MT one day, because I really want to shift anything I drive.
So all this is coming from an MT-head who wound up with an AT.:redface:

My 1991 Black Beauty is an automatic and I could give a crap what others think...the car looks phat - runs fast - handles amazingly and is super reliable! If I was a person who listened to others or cared what they thought - then I would never have played professional soccer nor would I have written a book. My perceptions on life definately differ from most people - and I like it that way.

Dam :cool:

Back