• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can anyone identify my (JDM? Ti?) NA2 exhaust?

Can anyone identify my NA2's exhaust?

Hey, guys. Loving the car more and more, as I enter into the ninth month of ownership.

So, I've become friendly with Ramon, down at Niguel Motors. He has done a lot to my car already, and I will entrust him to take good care of her for the long run. The man really knows his NSXes! Anyway, I've been trying to figure out which exhaust system I have on it now. Ramon believes it's a rare JDM unit, and that it's a legit system. I/we think it might be all titanium? (I could be wrong, but it definitely has that yellowish hue, throughout. Could be that it needs a good polish, though.)

I love the sound of my car. The exhaust seems to enhance its lower, bassier notes. It does howl up top, when I get on it. No droning at all. That said, I think I might actually prefer a higher pitched tone. Something more "exotic" sounding? I've only driven one other NSX before mine, though, and it was a 3.0L car, and I only drove it for a very short distance. My point is, I don't really know what my NA2 would sound like without my specific exhaust.

I've done some research on here; I've watched a few exhaust videos. Seems like the GT-ONE system stands out above most, in terms of providing that higher pitched exotic car wail. Does that sound about right?

So... 1) Can anyone please identify what I actually have now; 2) Can anyone provide any feedback about my exhaust, and how it compares to the GT-ONE exhuast?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

image_zpseeuvtd6k.jpeg

image_zps3uaaeuyy.jpeg

image_zps3ojeofym.jpeg

image_zpszfbgag9y.jpeg

image_zpsmhyioi53.jpeg

Last edited:
If it's really full Ti then it looks like a Toda, but you should have the brand name on the tips. I used to have photos of mine for comparison, cant find them anymore. It's refined, sporty, throaty, but with zero drone. I think the dual muffler with the crossover are responsible for this smooth tone.
Your looks like it's stainless steel ? I'd wager CircuitWerks then.

you need to see if there are any markings on the cans.

It kinda looks like a Circuit Werks (Pride) unit with its characteristic burnt tip fading. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-NSX-9...-Exhaust-System-with-Burnt-Tips-/151259039771

That's the closest I've seen thus far. Interesting. Thanks for the input. I wonder if there are any identifying marks for the CW exhaust.

If it's really full Ti then it looks like a Toda, but you should have the brand name on the tips. I used to have photos of mine for comparison, cant find them anymore. It's refined, sporty, throaty, but with zero drone. I think the dual muffler with the crossover are responsible for this smooth tone.
Your looks like it's stainless steel ? I'd wager CircuitWerks then.

You mean on the upper surface of the tips? I'll have to look more closely for any logos. That description sounds about right. I can see how the crossover helps with droning.

Maybe I'll try and polish it out a bit, soon, to get a better feel of the material. I wonder if/how ti's surface corrodes.

you need to see if there are any markings on the cans.

I'll try and get a closer look. No access to a lift right now, though. Look on the sides of the cans, or on the flat bottom surfaces?

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Any additional insight greatly appreciated.

;) ;)

Last edited:
on the face of cans...see if it says jasma

It's not Ti. It's not one of Pride's replicas. It looks like a Gruppe M but need more pics to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/66685-Has-anyone-tried-this-GruppeM-exhaust

Can you please explain why you're so certain it's not Ti? And why it isn't a "Pride replica"? Not doubting you; just learning from all of this. Of course, I was very excited it might be a JDM Ti exhaust, but I'm happy with whatever it is. I just want to figure out what I have, so I can research more. TIA.

Can you please explain why you're so certain it's not Ti? And why it isn't a "Pride replica"? Not doubting you; just learning from all of this. Of course, I was very excited it might be a JDM Ti exhaust, but I'm happy with whatever it is. I just want to figure out what I have, so I can research more. TIA.
I do not mean to be the giver of bad news. But this is a circuit werks exhaust with burnt tips. The dead giveaway that it is not titanium is the fact that it looks like 304 stainless. Titanium has a very lack luster finish. Also, if you view this picture, you will see at the x pipe it bares the same bracing as your exhaust.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 198
I do not mean to be the giver of bad news. But this is a circuit werks exhaust with burnt tips. The dead giveaway that it is not titanium is the fact that it looks like 304 stainless. Titanium has a very lack luster finish. Also, if you view this picture, you will see at the x pipe it bares the same bracing as your exhaust.
attachment.php

I believe you're right. The cross pipes are seemingly the same as mine. It's enough for me to believe I indeed have this same SS model with blued/burnt tips. Man, mine is really a dull yellow, though! Maybe I will take it off and give it a good polish.

image_zpsyr4uw4fh.jpeg

Also, I wonder if these are true cross-flow, like Fabspeed makes for Porsches. Really could be the reason why it doesn't drone at all.

Lastly, are these exhausts easy to remove? I have done the center bypass and side cans for both of the Porsche 997.2 coupes I've owned. This seems much more straight-forward. Is it really just three bolts and a couple of hangers?

I'm still considering changing it up. I'm wondering if the GT ONE exhaust will give me the higher tones, and more "manic wail," that I think I'd prefer. Any feedback re the GT ONE?

Thanks again, guys, for the guidance. Love this place.

PS: My family has always and only owned Boxers. I've had eight, so far, in my lifetime. Can't wait for the next one. My last one was my absolute favorite. Miss her a lot.

Last edited:
I have this RFY Yamamoto V1 which i believe also makes all the exhaust for GTone. i'm very pleased with my V1; furthermore, it has a nice metallic sound between 3k-5k rpm and full "manic wail" all the way to redline. It is kinda pricey, but i heard the pride V1 or V2 sounds similar.

I believe you're right. The cross pipes are seemingly the same as mine. It's enough for me to believe I indeed have this same SS model with blued/burnt tips. Man, mine is really a dull yellow, though! Maybe I will take it off and give it a good polish.

image_zpsyr4uw4fh.jpeg

Also, I wonder if these are true cross-flow, like Fabspeed makes for Porsches. Really could be the reason why it doesn't drone at all.

Lastly, are these exhausts easy to remove? I have done the center bypass and side cans for both of the Porsche 997.2 coupes I've owned. This seems much more straight-forward. Is it really just three bolts and a couple of hangers?

I'm still considering changing it up. I'm wondering if the GT ONE exhaust will give me the higher tones, and more "manic wail," that I think I'd prefer. Any feedback re the GT ONE?

Thanks again, guys, for the guidance. Love this place.

PS: My family has always and only owned Boxers. I've had eight, so far, in my lifetime. Can't wait for the next one. My last one was my absolute favorite. Miss her a lot.

Don't feel bad though. Pride makes great products. As you can see here on prime. I see many folks here spend small fortunes on exhaust systems. I used to have a highly coveted taitec jgtc exhaust. It was bad ass! But you had to sacrifice drone and freeway cruising for the sound. Now I run the angus apx version 1. It doesnt bling at all or have funky pretzle tubing and it isnt made out of fancy pants metals either. What it does though for me is sounds perfect in all driving conditions . It's a very subjective topic....

As for the boxers, I am a American kennel club master breeder with champions all over the world. I have 3 currently at home, too many. When your ready for another one, PM me... I will get ya a champion. Maybe I will sell you one of my 3 LOL!!!

Last edited:
As for the boxers, I am a American kennel club master breeder with champions all over the world. I have 3 currently at home, too many. When your ready for another one, PM me... I will get ya a champion. Maybe I will sell you one of my 3 LOL!!!
I'd love to get your feedback on the what's the difference between a Goldendoodle vs a Labradoodle [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION]. We'd love to get a medium sized one. Always have had German Shepherds my whole life and of the 5 we've had one was really sweet. 2 were average but 2 were crazy. We're hoping the doodles will wont' shed so much and will be friendlier with the kids even at the sacrifice of being good guard dogs. The German Shepherds while incredible guard dogs but I can't risk one being crazy especially with kids. PM me maybe? :)

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=32176]Dixans[/MENTION], ok.. you didn't show the cross pipe section earlier but that does look like the CW exhaust. What's even more surprising is the condition of your exhaust. CW has only been around for maybe a year. This exhaust can't be very old but the condition is pretty worn/rusted already. CW makes cheap exhausts from cheap China steel. CW and Pride are the same company from what I can tell. They copy exhaust. It's what they do. Nothing against that.. just the facts. There is a chance that this exhaust is a copy of the original Toda design but you can see it's a little different in the details.

I'm just shocked that it's deteriorating that quickly. Please don't take offense. It is what it is.

http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/product/ex_mani/nsx-na1.html

nsx-na1-2.jpg

@Dixans, ok.. you didn't show the cross pipe section earlier but that does look like the CW exhaust. What's even more surprising is the condition of your exhaust. CW has only been around for maybe a year. This exhaust can't be very old but the condition is pretty worn/rusted already. CW makes cheap exhausts from cheap China steel. CW and Pride are the same company from what I can tell. They copy exhaust. It's what they do. Nothing against that.. just the facts. There is a chance that this exhaust is a copy of the original Toda design but you can see it's a little different in the details.

I'm just shocked that it's deteriorating that quickly. Please don't take offense. It is what it is.

http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/product/ex_mani/nsx-na1.html

nsx-na1-2.jpg

I'm not offended at all. I didn't build the exhaust. ;) Hmmmm... The mystery thickens. So, you're sure that CW has only been around a year? If so, then this likely isn't from them. The previous owner didn't know exactly what exhuast it was either, because the owner before him installed it. Therefore, it's been on the car for at least a few years. I've owned the car nine months, and he owned it for two to three years.

So, you're saying the originals came in, or were mainly made in, titanium? The thing is, I've owned all manner of exhausts for various Audis, BMWs, and Porsches. All stainless steel. And none of them were this yellow color. From what I can see, the yellow tone isn't the result of corrosion, but is seemingly inherent to the material. Maybe that doesn't come across in the photos. The question is, does titanium corrode? And lastly, is it possible it's Ti in some places, and steel in others? The cans themselves look a bit "cooler" in tone, and could be steel. Actually, if magnets don't stick to Ti, I could run out and try it later today. (I'm not sure about that; pretty sure magnets won't stick to Ti.)

This is all very interesting to me. I do like the way it sounds, though! And if it is steel, I'm sure a good polish will bring some life back to it.

Don't feel bad though. Pride makes great products. As you can see here on prime. I see many folks here spend small fortunes on exhaust systems. I used to have a highly coveted taitec jgtc exhaust. It was bad ass! But you had to sacrifice drone and freeway cruising for the sound. Now I run the angus apx version 1. It doesnt bling at all or have funky pretzle tubing and it isnt made out of fancy pants metals either. What it does though for me is sounds perfect in all driving conditions . It's a very subjective topic....

Thanks for the ongoing input. I read some old posts of yours from when you were on the hunt. Glad you found something you like. I agree, exhaust tone/volume is very subjective. i think I might try running it without the engine cover for a while. The previous owner did that, and said that's when it sounded the best. Guess I'd need the coolant tank cover, then. Already have tinted back window. And it rarely sits outside for more than an hour or two.

Re Boxers... That's awesome! We've just started thinking about our next one. We need to finish building our next house first, though. After that, which should be in a year or so, we definitely want to get another puppy. I'll definitely hit you up for more info, when the time comes. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have this RFY Yamamoto V1 which i believe also makes all the exhaust for GTone. i'm very pleased with my V1; furthermore, it has a nice metallic sound between 3k-5k rpm and full "manic wail" all the way to redline. It is kinda pricey, but i heard the pride V1 or V2 sounds similar.

Thanks for this info. Sounds very close to my ideal. I'll have to study up on these, too. Any suggestions on where to source one, etc.?

I believe i saw adverts for the CW more than 2 years ago, so it's a bit older than 1 year old. The yellow-ish tone is normal coloration for stainless steel oxydation. All metals corrode apart from gold.

So, you're saying the originals came in, or were mainly made in, titanium?(...) The question is, does titanium corrode? And lastly, is it possible it's Ti in some places, and steel in others? The cans themselves look a bit "cooler" in tone, and could be steel. Actually, if magnets don't stick to Ti, I could run out and try it later today. (I'm not sure about that; pretty sure magnets won't stick to Ti.)
Yeah magnets dont stick to Ti. The Toda is full Ti and indeed more "gray" in color. It's very light too, i could lift and position it alone (and i'm not a sporty guy at all !) Also doesnt corrode the same way (colors are different). As you can see on the photo some details are different, the crossover is not held by a plate, and cans have a square-ish side profile, with an unmistakable "Toda" branding on the top, and are blued all over. The price is exotic too :) but i love its sound so much.

If you want a top tier exhaust try one of the RF Yamamoto's these are available through AS Motorsport (who can be found in the vendor section here) and others.

Last edited:
I believe i saw adverts for the CW more than 2 years ago, so it's a bit older than 1 year old. The yellow-ish tone is normal coloration for stainless steel oxydation. All metals corrode apart from gold.

Yeah magnets dont stick to Ti. The Toda is full Ti and indeed more "gray" in color. It's very light too, i could lift and position it alone (and i'm not a sporty guy at all !) Also doesnt corrode the same way (colors are different). As you can see on the photo some details are different, the crossover is not held by a plate, and cans have a square-ish side profile, with an unmistakable "Toda" branding on the top, and are blued all over. The price is exotic too :) but i love its sound so much.

If you want a top tier exhaust try one of the RF Yamamoto's these are available through AS Motorsport (who can be found in the vendor section here) and others.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. It all makes sense to me. That really would be a good deal of corrosion, on the stainless steel, if it's only 2-3 years old. Hopefully it's just mainly surface stuff. I'll try and get at it, while on the car. The next house will have a lift. At that time, I can do a better job of it, or else I'll have replaced it by then.

I do like the sound of it, as is. Deep and mellow. However, in my mind, this car should howl and wail a bit more, especially up top. I'll be looking into the GT ONE and RF Yamamoto, as suggested by you and others. Thanks for the info on that, too.

Meanwhile, if anyone has photos of either of those, please feel free to share here. Wouldn't mind seeing your own examples of the CW/Pride exhaust, too. Cheers. ;) ;)

Last edited:
Back