• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can ECU take no cats?

Hi,

We have a Taitec on order and will also be taking off the cats. I am wondering if this means the ECU will need to be fettled or will it overfuel to the point of danger?

Thanks

-Rob

what year car?

robfenn said:
Hi,

We have a Taitec on order and will also be taking off the cats. I am wondering if this means the ECU will need to be fettled or will it overfuel to the point of danger?

Thanks

-Rob

yes.

I had no cats on a 95, no problem at all. Just LOUD AS HELL. Cats are back in now.

95&96 throw intermitent soft cels,but from what I've heard 3.2l ecus are less tolerant.

You will most likely get 0420 and 0430 cat effeciency CEL's. The ECU measures the effeciency of the cat reacting to mixture changes. The 95-96 models were more tolerant then the 1997+ cars.

HTH,
LarryB

well if you don't mind driving around with the cel on,annoying.Plus you won't know if a new problem tripping a cel occures after.Switching the ecu to what?Although things may be different in Europe,in the US it is a pita to switch back to obd-1 and or a stand alone aem system,kinda too much work simply to eliminate the cats.Search the FI forum for folks who went there.

I would suggest using 4 18mm spark plug anti-foulers. Drill out two of them with a 1/2 drill bit. Then screw the drill out one into the one that is not. Install this into the pipe along with the O2 sensor and this should cure your CEL.

Back