• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can I afford an NSX?

Hello all,

I have been looking for a used cars recently, specifically a fun weekend car that looks great and is a blast to drive. I looked at a lot of RWD cars and eventually settled on Nissan twin turbo 370Z. However, I have always loved the NSX and it seems like for the same price I can probably afford one. Since I am not sure, I'm asking you guys:

1. I have about $30k cash budget, and I don't want to finance or go into more debt. My job is good I have a 6 figure salary with no family but I pay mortgage.
2. Would like to get orange and black color, so likely it would be painted.
3. Not too mechanically inclined, but I can learn.
4. Central NJ located
5. Looking for Gen 1 but since I prefer a more modern look it should have a front end conversion. For resale value sake, I wouldn't modify the exterior other than the paint. However, I would prefer if the interior were comfortable and more modern (customized).

What do you think? Is this within my reach or should I look elsewhere? How much would insurance per month in NJ cost?

I'm looking at a few:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/4992172568.html -> 1997 NSN-T with 75k miles for $30k
http://www.acuransxbroker.com/cars/...ide-widebody-supercharged-custom-supercar.htm -> 1996 NSX with 67k miles for $60k (has what I want in looks, but way out of price range)

... and the prices are all over the place.

Thanks all.

I am sure there will be a lot of not for that price responses.

BUT you pointed out a 97 craigslist ad, that one has a 3.0 (not the 3.2 the manual of that year had) and its also detuned from what i am to understand making it slower (this was all automatics)

your budget will be stretched though, if you find something around 20 it will probably in need of a lot of work. you can probably find a 30-35k car and cash offer 30. but it will be a 91-95 and you have to think do you want power steering? do you want a removable roof? do you care about miles? how perfect of an example do you want?

and Orange and 02+ facelift youre really stretching it there. It had taken me over a year to find my car and probably many others much longer.

Figure on spending $35k for what you are looking at. Going "cheaper" sometimes introduces more problems, but it is possible you can find one for $30k flat. The sub $30k NSXs tend to either be (a) people uniformed about the value (rare) (b) problem cars (common).

Just my two cents.

Thanks. I would rather have one with less problems but hey, anything can be repaired. I have plenty of extra cash on top of $30k but would rather keep it for a rainy day.

arista5 your car looks nice. =)

Anyway, looks like it makes more sense to keep looking for a boosted Z.

The simple answer to any question that starts with "can I afford........." is if you have to ask, then you can't.

Only you know your finances and asking a bunch of strangers in a vacuum will not really give you accurate responses. An NSX is a "toy" and rarely do people buy one as their only car which means it truly is a "luxury" purchase. As with any luxury purchase, if you don't know if you can afford it then the safest answer is you can't afford it.

Thanks. I would rather have one with less problems but hey, anything can be repaired.

With a NSX - sometimes that answer is no. I mean technically it *might* be able to be fixed, but you will be dropping so much money that you would have been much better off just buying a car with a cleaner history. Despite the Honda badge, a NSX isn't necessarily an inexpensive car. When they say it is a low maintenance car, keep in mind they are comparing it to lambos, ferraris, etc and not accords and civics.

Making six figures and $30k cash in hand you shouldn't even be asking.... You should be able to afford a $30-70k Car no problem.

The simple answer to any question that starts with "can I afford........." is if you have to ask, then you can't.

Only you know your finances and asking a bunch of strangers in a vacuum will not really give you accurate responses. An NSX is a "toy" and rarely do people buy one as their only car which means it truly is a "luxury" purchase. As with any luxury purchase, if you don't know if you can afford it then the safest answer is you can't afford it.
True but I'm not financing it. I'm just asking how reasonable it is with a budget. I can certainly afford an $60k car cash but I don't want to spend that much. Thanks for your concern though... I'm sure it comes with lots of wisdom. =)

how old are you?

Remember to consider the depreciation between a boosted Nissan and an NSX. You might be able to afford more than you think if you take care of it and can sell it for the same price or possibly more which is probably highly unlikely with a turbo 370Z. An NSX is not as good as cash in the bank but it doesn't suffer from 20% depreciation every year. What would happen to your 370Z every time a newer model with more power and better looks and handling comes along? Just factor this into your "can I afford it?" question. And please don't go and paint your NSX in two different colors, if you can't afford a $30k NSX then it's foolish to buy a cheaper one and spend $10k on a paint job that will return negative value upon resale.

also, if your $30k car purchase is more than what you have in your 401k, IRAs and such then you shouldn't even be buying a car right now.

Last edited:
I don't know about a boosted 370Z but I have a 300ZX TT Stage III (343 rwhp). The driving experience between my heavier, higher horsepower ZX and the precise/nimble NSX makes this an apples to peaches (maybe not oranges) comparison.
I found the ZX to be my choice for 5to6+ hours of highway driving (300+ miles) and daily commuting and the NSX for back roads touring.
The boosted NSX surely increases the pleasure/performance and I still like the scalpel (now its a honed Kabar)...but sometimes a machete works best!

how old are you?

Hansen_blank_background.jpg

Yeah I cracked up at that one too.

True but I'm not financing it. I'm just asking how reasonable it is with a budget. I can certainly afford an $60k car cash but I don't want to spend that much. Thanks for your concern though... I'm sure it comes with lots of wisdom. =)

I think you've got two objectives here.

One is to buy an NSX for about $30K.

The second is to install an 02+ conversion for about $10K then paint the car orange and black for another $5-8K.
Some prospective buyers value the O2 conversion so the conversion cost is not a waste of money.
The orange and black paint will definitely devalue the car.

So you've got two conflicting objectives, a cheap purchase price, then lots of spending which reduces the car's value.

How old are you?

I second the posters here. I bought a salvaged title nsx for 16,000 and while I love it dearly and actually wanted to restore it. It has costed me a large sum of cash. There is no way around this in my opinion. You either pay high dollar for pristine condition or you pay low cost of ownership with high dollar fixes. This is not a corvette or a 350z. Even a tiny piece of interior plastic will cost you 150 dollars. You could turn a gtr into a 800 hp beast for the cost of a simple body kit on an nsx. Just how it is I regret to say. Love it or leave it.

Agreed!!!
i second the posters here. I bought a salvaged title nsx for 16,000 and while i love it dearly and actually wanted to restore it. It has costed me a large sum of cash. There is no way around this in my opinion. You either pay high dollar for pristine condition or you pay low cost of ownership with high dollar fixes. This is not a corvette or a 350z. Even a tiny piece of interior plastic will cost you 150 dollars. You could turn a gtr into a 800 hp beast for the cost of a simple body kit on an nsx. Just how it is i regret to say. Love it or leave it.

I second the posters here. I bought a salvaged title nsx for 16,000 and while I love it dearly and actually wanted to restore it. It has costed me a large sum of cash. There is no way around this in my opinion. You either pay high dollar for pristine condition or you pay low cost of ownership with high dollar fixes. This is not a corvette or a 350z. Even a tiny piece of interior plastic will cost you 150 dollars. You could turn a gtr into a 800 hp beast for the cost of a simple body kit on an nsx. Just how it is I regret to say. Love it or leave it.

let's not discredit other cars. corvette z06 is never something cheap to own or modify. GTR's parts and maintenance will cost a lot more than NSX.

^ Not discrediting either cars listed above. Only stating that owning and fixing them are far less then a nsx and no I am not talking about a brand new model either.

Back