• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can I just disconnect the center amp?

THe speaker is all static-y and sqeal-y. I'll replace the amp soon enough, but in the mean time... can I just disconnect it? The guy who I bought it from said he did it for a while, but the head unit would just go quiet sometimes w/ the center amp unplugged... like a charge was building up or something. Any ideas?

-Brian

SaberX said:
THe speaker is all static-y and sqeal-y. I'll replace the amp soon enough, but in the mean time... can I just disconnect it?
-Brian
Yes - however note there is no dedicated center channel amp; the same amp feeds the center speaker & also the footwell speaker; it is physically located in the footwell speaker assembly. You can just disconnect the center speaker alone (at the footwell box end) but since there is obviously an amp problem, it will be affecting the footwell speaker also. So you may as well just unplug the main connector into the assembly and disable both.

The guy who I bought it from said he did it for a while, but the head unit would just go quiet sometimes w/ the center amp unplugged... like a charge was building up or something. Any ideas?
Nonsense! If it is going quiet it is because the door speakers are fried also.

Back