• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can scratches on 00-01 stock wheels be polished out?

For anyone with any experience polishing surface scratches out of wheels, I would like your input. Is it possible to polish out surface scratches(that cannot be felt with the fingernail) without having to refinish the wheel afterwards? The wheels in question are stock 00-01 wheels that I would like to repair. I do not want to have to refinish them, just see if I can buff these imperfections out and if so what is my best way of getting this done without causing further damage.
Thanks,
Jeff

If they are clear coated then you can buff like paint, if they are bare aluminum then you can use a metal polish to buff I think but it may not remove scratches. Depends on how abrasive the polish and pad are regardless and how deep the scratches.

Anyone know if the 00-01 wheels come with a clear coat from the factory? I would closely inspect my wheels but I won't be near my car for another 10 days to take a look.

Anyone know if the 00-01 wheels come with a clear coat from the factory? I would closely inspect my wheels but I won't be near my car for another 10 days to take a look.

Yes, they do come clear coated. Pretty much all factory wheels will come clear coated to protect the finish and to make the wheel look nice and shiny.

00-01??? um the rims are the same from 1995-01 same rims and color.

94,95,96 are solaris silver with a smooth finish, and center caps have "ACURA" stamped into plactic,
97-01 are blades silver with a machined finish, and center caps have a machined finish with "ACURA" painted on.

94,95,96 are solaris silver with a smooth finish, and center caps have "ACURA" stamped into plactic,
97-01 are blades silver with a machined finish, and center caps have a machined finish with "ACURA" painted on.

This ^^ is true.

Yes, they do come clear coated. Pretty much all factory wheels will come clear coated to protect the finish and to make the wheel look nice and shiny.

As is this ^^.

In order to fix any scratches etc, the wheel will need to be refinished. If you attempt to sand or polish a spot you will encounter sanding through the clear coat.

Absolutely correct, for the stock wheels that come with the car.

The same wheels painted in Championship White were also available from Honda/Acura as a dealer-installed option.

Shawn I thought the finish is different on the 00-01s. They seem to appear shinier with more of a machined finish while the older ones appear to look more like a flat silver.

You are correct! The 00-01 OEM wheels are a bit shinier than the 97-99 wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

^^ nope same part number for 97 thru 01 (42700-SL0-A30ZA, and 44700-SL0-Z50), so yes, different from 94,95 and 96 (42700-SL0-505Z and 44700-SL0-505ZA)

Unless someone polished them to make them shinier, Dealer maybe?

Last edited:
I know they have the same part number but if you find a 97-99 and compare it to the 00-01 you will see it has a slight difference if finishing :wink:. Not just the finishing but also the center caps are different. 97-99 has the Acura on the caps and the 00-01 has the A symbols on it.

Yep the center caps are different. Seems strange if you ordered a replacement wheel for an 01 with that part number that is the same for all 97-01, wonder if it would match?

Yep the center caps are different. Seems strange if you ordered a replacement wheel for an 01 with that part number that is the same for all 97-01, wonder if it would match?

Probably wont match. because the new replacement will end up looking newer than the others. Its like buying one new tire and the rest is old and warn down and the one new tire is new :biggrin:.

Back