• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Capitalism at its finest. A ridiculous $60k markup!

Hi all - new to the forum. Obviously I'm a big NSX fan and was eagerly anticipating ordering a new car
like many of you here. Was just notified by my dealer (I'm in Orange County, SoCal) that they are willing
to order to the vehicle for MSRP and $60k premium! Ridiculous. I know that a dealer needs to make money
but seriously! $60k dollars over sticker!! I can't imagine. I'm sure the NSX is a great car but for that price
point it has me looking at the McLaren 570S or the McLaren 570GT.

Similar to other potential buyers, I can take a little gouging, but I can't be taking for that much of a ride.

If anyone has a reliable dealer that is willing to negotiate for MSRP - please pass on the word. I'm ready to pull
the trigger, but I ain't desperate.

Thanks -

Sorry about the headache

That beats the $50K marker adjustment I was offered at a local Chicagoland dealer.

Here is how I found a deal at MSRP.

Build your car on the Acura website.
Find a zipcode for an nearby state and use that to search for NSX dealers.
Send your spec and then reach out to the dealers you found.
Repeat a few times (in other states) to broaden your reach.

Buy it somewhere else, for example in Europe, they will give you $60k cash if you order one. :D

Sadly with a $60k markup you will never recover that when it's time to sell. A local GM dealer tried that on me back in 06 with the return of the Z06. I quickly lost intrest.

I'm too young to remember but from what I learned on this site it is the same case some describe from fall 1990 when dealers were trying to get over $100 000 for the original one. In 1991 it wasn't impossible to get one at MSRP and a few years later dealers couldn't even get MSRP.

Sorry about the headache

That beats the $50K marker adjustment I was offered at a local Chicagoland dealer.

Here is how I found a deal at MSRP.

Build your car on the Acura website.
Find a zipcode for an nearby state and use that to search for NSX dealers.
Send your spec and then reach out to the dealers you found.
Repeat a few times (in other states) to broaden your reach.

I hope you find the right dealer and get your car soon, we would love to see a NSX 2.0 show up to one of the local meets and I personally can't wait to photograph it, too!

I'm too young to remember but from what I learned on this site it is the same case some describe from fall 1990 when dealers were trying to get over $100 000 for the original one. In 1991 it wasn't impossible to get one at MSRP and a few years later dealers couldn't even get MSRP.

I was on the list to get one of the first ones and I went to the unveiling party at my dealer and saw a sticker that said $60,400 and on the other side it simply said "AMV $30,600". I asked what kind of options package "AMV" was since I wasn't aware of any options and the manager told me it was "Adjusted Market Value" and that was the MINIMUM I had to offer over msrp to get the car.

I offered $66k cash and he laughed at me so I left, drove up the road to the Mercedes dealership and bought an S Class and went back to my Acura dealer and said I wouldn't do business with him ever again. Three months later he called and said I could have the car for $66k and I said no thanks and never went back to him.

Brylek,

i found a friendly dealer out of state who is selling at MSRP and I have a $1k deposit down to secure their third allocated car (no info on when the car will be ordered/built).

The local eco structure is still forming. Someone from McGrath followed up with me yesterday. They already ordered their first car, a red on black with all options to put in the show room. They offered me their fifth car (1 for the show room and then the next 3 to McGrath's friends). Their pricing philosophy is that the cars will be highly optioned and they will be looking at $250k to $280k for each car (it looks like they would be trying to get a $65K market adjustment, plus or minus). It also sounded like you could cut in front of McGrath's friends for a price.

I have been chatting via email with one of the senior engineers for the NSX and he says he was not aware of the price gouging but they cannot control what the dealers do.

If you could sell your NSX at $60,000 over a suggested price you would take it. The market will determine the price, they will find out if they can sell it for $60k over MSRP or not. If they can, good for them, just like you would be happy if a buyer came and offered you $60 grand over. People are clearly finding dealerships willing to sell at MSRP, but for that you will be waiting at least a year since it appears the first year production for MSRP dealerships is already tied up.

Window sticker from my 1994.....

Dealer had at least 4 of them sitting outside out in front.....lots different from the initial "roped off - do not touch" & ADM scenarios in 1991.

P1010451.jpg~original

I have been chatting via email with one of the senior engineers for the NSX and he says he was not aware of the price gouging but they cannot control what the dealers do.

They could supply the dealers who sell at MSRP and tell the greaseballs to take a hike, as far as future allocations.

Lexus took some of the stealership crahp out of the LFA program by controlling the allocations to buyers, though a secret was that about 50 US allocations went to dealers from day 1.

Acura could look at contracts and penalize stealerships with losses in allocation, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Lexus took some of the stealership crahp out of the LFA program by controlling the allocations to buyers, though a secret was that about 50 US allocations went to dealers from day 1.

Acura could look at contracts and penalize stealerships with losses in allocation, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Actually that is not correct, Lexus selected its client who were "allowed" to lease the LFA. They wanted to control the market and didnt want "flippers" running wild.

http://jalopnik.com/5496332/lexus-lfa-lease-it-now-for-just-12400-per-month

I received an allocation for an LFA

Lexus got a lot for grief for the whole program and allowed folks to purchase the cars and most did

The program had a goal regarding flipping, though that really wasn't needed. It did keep the stealerships from scrounge the consumers like we are seeing with the gen 2 NSX

Back