• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Future NA1 coupe prices

Hey guys, S2000 owner and infrequent visitor of the S2KI forums here.

I'm a younger guy who fell in love with 90s and early 00s Hondas through video games and movies when these cars were relatively new. I always wanted an S2000, and when I came into some real money for the first time I bought an AP2 just before the prices went ballistic during the pandemic. It's a fantastic car, and honestly I would die happy if I just kept it and repaired it over the years. But of course the crown jewel of Hondas for anyone around my age is the NSX.

Problem is, of course, the NSX skyrocketed in price alongside the S2000 during the past year and a half, from an already much higher base. And honestly, while I would really like one for the rarity, style, and slightly better performance, I don't think it's worth two and half as much. I'd be willing to a pay difference of maybe 30k, 40k at absolute most. For the record, I'm hoping to be making somewhere between 50k-60k a year in the near future (barring a economic depression).

The difference I see in the markets in the future is the S2000 still needs to go through the age milestones the NSX already has. The 25 and 30 year antique requirements (depending on the states), and the 25 year import law, both of which I assume will increase the prices further ala the FD RX7, Mk4 Supra, ect. I'm guessing (hoping?) that by around 2027, 2028, the S2000 will have hit a higher average sale price while the NSX stabilizes.

But what do you guys think? Should I realistically be hoping to be able to afford an NSX, or should I invest in my S2000? Thanks.

there are many more S2000 so that will smooth out the pricing for the average condition car ...the condition A and CR will still be stable/higher. Right now you have the ICE going away in the future paradigm at work also elevating prices....The lower # of good examples for nsx will keep pricing higher as well. Only you know your future economics, and how much equity is in your Stook. If you are very handy and have a place to work on it that may help, but you need $ to get parts as there is not a ready supply of domestic made repros

Agree with @docjohn. It's hard to know where the NA1 coupes will stabilize because there are so many factors at play. A big one is the general economy, which we all know is moving into a recession that will last at least through 2023 (some say we're already in it). Whenever there is a general economic downturn, NSX prices tend to go lower. In the big crash of 2009-2010, you could buy a decent NA1 coupe for $20,000 or less. Today, that number is more like $60,000 to $80,000. I believe the S2000 is going to cap out sooner than the NSX, which will keep going up. The NSX is a rare exotic car and the S2000, while a fantastic sports car, is not. The markets for both will continue to diverge. Just my 2 cents.

Agree with @docjohn. It's hard to know where the NA1 coupes will stabilize because there are so many factors at play. A big one is the general economy, which we all know is moving into a recession that will last at least through 2023 (some say we're already in it). Whenever there is a general economic downturn, NSX prices tend to go lower. In the big crash of 2009-2010, you could buy a decent NA1 coupe for $20,000 or less. Today, that number is more like $60,000 to $80,000. I believe the S2000 is going to cap out sooner than the NSX, which will keep going up. The NSX is a rare exotic car and the S2000, while a fantastic sports car, is not. The markets for both will continue to diverge. Just my 2 cents.

So you think my best bet might be to try to swing one if/when there's another big crash?

So you think my best bet might be to try to swing one if/when there's another big crash?
That's where I would look for an opportunity. A lot of people will let them go to free up cash after they get laid off. That's what happened in 2009. I'd start looking in Dec/Jan...

That's where I would look for an opportunity. A lot of people will let them go to free up cash after they get laid off. That's what happened in 2009. I'd start looking in Dec/Jan...

Things would have to really go well for me to do it so quickly. I'd have to get the job I'm working towards, be able to flip the S2000 for a decent price and have enough of a difference to get the NSX and not have payments I can't afford.

I was thinking more 2025ish.

Everything was on sale during the great recession. Picked up an M3 for a great price in 2010. However, I don't think the upcoming recession will be anywhere as severe as the great recession in 2009. NSX will come down, but probably much less so than the S2000. IMO, the NSX is not comparable to the S2000. However, I will be looking for an NC1 or 992 when the price is right.

Welcome. Lots of folks here are fans of both NSX and S2K, me included.

I suspect the market for both S2K and NSX is more likely to cool off than heat up in the short term, just based on economics. I agree with the others in that regard. Longer term, I suspect both will appreciate.

Economically, I suspect it makes sense to cash out now. Cars are generally not investments. Maybe that isn't true for a garage queen CR or Zanardi - but if you are stretching financially to the limit to get one, I wouldn't. Particularly in today's market and if you intend to actually drive it. If you are maximizing economic return, drive a cheap reliable car, save your money, and invest in real estate once it finishes cooling off or the stock market. Having liquid funds is a great way to hop on 'deals' of any variety.

But, life is about more than just economics. Sounds like you intend to drive and enjoy whatever you buy. And that is awesome. Get/keep a car that has been cared for and has some miles, and enjoy the hell out if it. Personally, I find it easier to enjoy something guilt free that is not a large portion of your net worth. And I hate car payments.

Last edited:
Welcome. Lots of folks here are fans of both NSX and S2K, me included.

I suspect the market for both S2K and NSX is more likely to cool off than heat up in the short term, just based on economics. I agree with the others in that regard. Longer term, I suspect both will appreciate.

Economically, I suspect it makes sense to cash out now. Cars are generally not investments. Maybe that isn't true for a garage queen CR or Zanardi - but if you are stretching financially to the limit to get one, I wouldn't. Particularly in today's market and if you intend to actually drive it. If you are maximizing economic return, drive a cheap reliable car, save your money, and invest in real estate once it finishes cooling off or the stock market. Having liquid funds is a great way to hop on 'deals' of any variety.

But, life is about more than just economics. Sounds like you intend to drive and enjoy whatever you buy. And that is awesome. Get/keep a car that has been cared for and has some miles, and enjoy the hell out if it. Personally, I find it easier to enjoy something guilt free that is not a large portion of your net worth. And I hate car payments.

Bingo. In the last 18 months I've put about 4k miles on the S2000. I'd drive an NSX the same amount. As long as it's in pretty good condition, couldn't get less of a damn about the mileage.

It's more about the difference in price than the actual dollar amounts. If I only end up getting what I paid for the S2000 (20k) back, but the basement for the NSX has gone from 60k to 55k, fine by me. I should be able to afford that if everything goes well.

Last edited:
Back