• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Audio Questions (San Diego)

OK, I want to have an aftermarket receiver installed in my 1991. Any advice. I went to Al & Eds here in San Diego and they wanted to charge me 400.00 just for installation. Is it me or does this seem a bit steep? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From my own experience the installation of a receiver should not cost more than $50-60. However, the NSX dash was not made to be modified and so the procedure may be more complex, requiring additional work and perhaps some clean-up dash work as well. Hence the high cost. My suggestion would be to do a little shopping around to make sure you're not being price-discriminated. =)

------------------
darkcydsig1.jpg

I agree with DARKCYD, they will alway chrge you more when they see an NSX, shop around, try some on El Cajon, smaller shops, but with better pricing. Hope this help

that seems rather high, i'd ask them to break it down. whats their hourly rate and why will it take them x hours to install the head unit. it all depends on what their plans are with the dash trim piece. you cant just cut a hole in it and stick in an aftermarket head unit as it appears the there would be left over, non filled in space from where the two rows of four buttons are on the stock head unit. im not sure how they would deal with that. if they're thinking of fiberglassing that in and painting to match the dash, well then $400 is probably a steal.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Al & Ed's. I'll never go there again.

I recommend going to Thunderworks (Same place Dali recommends).

Go to www.daliracing.com for more information on that place.

I've never been there, but if Dali recommends it, it's usually good stuff.

There's another place near Rosecrans area that was recommended by another NSXer... can't remember the place at this time.

Thanks for all the input guys/gals. I started calling around today instead of just pulling up to every shop. Seems like they spit out more reasonable numbers when the car isn't in view. Now to pick a reciever w/Cd and MP3. Any Preferances?
Steve

Here is my two cents worth.

The dash of the NSX is obviously not something that can easily be modified. My installer is doing it with fibreglass and bondo so that he can flush mount a Pioneer Premier 940 (Which happens to play MP3s, CDs and Satelite radio). The piece will be custom painted before it goes back into the car.

You could also buy a dash piece that already has a DIN opening cut out. Either Dali or SOS used to sell these. They were something like 350 dollars though.

You have to look for the shop that can do the best work. Ask to see a picture book of installs they have done. If they have one, take a good look at the pictures, if they don't ask yourself why!!!! I know price is important, but would you shop around for the cheapest deal if you were going in to have triple bypass surgery?

More or less, if someone can get a deck into an NSX for $400.00 and it doesn't look hacked, you are getting a good deal.

Good luck

dont take your nsx to al&ed's!!!!! you should really look into top of the line installers and electronics, after all, it is an nsx. i had al&ed's rewire my Z28 and they did a pretty good job, but the nsx is a tricky custom that you shouldnt trust to them OR any cheap shop. if you go to a shop that sells and installs stuff like focal, dynaudio, or rainbow, then you know they will do it right the first time. it might cost a little more(nowhere near $400 though) but you simply cannot skimp on an nsx.

I had Al & Ed's install an Alpine Multimedia system (CVA-1005 and all the other goodies) on my everyday Honda Accord Coupe. They messed that one up. I brought it back 4 times. It's still not OK. I gave up and decided to live with it.

If they can't work on a common car like my Accord, they sure as hell can't work on an NSX.

I don't know about the $400 price quote, but quality is very very important. The NSX is a very special car. It is worth spending the money,$400, if you know for sure that the installation is perfect. In my opinion one of the best shops in town is La Jolla Audio. I have seen alot of their work and it is first rate. I know that there prices aren't cheap, they do alot of custom work. Call them and see what they say. Sorry I don't have their phone number, I'm sure it's in the book.

heya craig, didnt realize you were still selling these. how come you don't precut them anymore? you do such an amazing job at making the panel, i wouldnt trust anyone else to cut it properly.

Hey Rob, I don't precut them anymore because I had too many different requests from customers. Most NSX owners didn't like the full DIN cutout since the radio actually sits on top of the panel instead of flush with it. It is impossible to make a universal flush opening that would look acceptable because of the fact that every manufacturer uses a slightly diferent sized faceplate. I was also having some problems with my first mould so I decided to make the new mould more "universal", obviously the panel needs to be cut before it's painted so thats why I no longer paint them.

The good news is I am now able to ship the panels within a couple days instead of weeks, and of course the price has drpped to $199. Oh and thanks for the compliment Rob!

Back