• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Care ?'s..

bb6

Registered Member
I was just curious to know how often everyone here washes and waxes their cars?
Also, I currently use Meguiars Gold Class wax, and wanted to try the Zaino line of products, and wanted to know which Zaino polish/wax would be equivalant to Meguairs Gold Class was in terms of use.
Thanks in advance

I was just curious to know how often everyone here washes and waxes their cars?

My '91 NSX - which only goes out half a dozen times a year to track events and 2-3 times a year for service, and otherwise sits covered including 4-6 months over the winter:
Wash - whenever it gets dirty, which means at the end of each of the track events.
Cleanse - On a spot basis as needed, the whole car maybe once every other year, using Zymol HD-Cleanse
Wax - once a year, using one of the super-premium waxes (50+ percent carnauba) from Zymol (similar to their specially-formulated NSX wax).
Interior - Once a year, using Zymol Vinyl on the dash and other plastic parts, Zymol Treat on the leather
Looks like new, constantly get compliments!

My daily driver, which I also baby:
Wash - whenever it gets dirty, which means whenever it goes out on wet roads (but only gets washed if the roads will stay dry for a few days afterwards)
Cleanse - On a spot basis as needed, the whole car once a year, using Zymol HD-Cleanse
Wax - 2-3 times a year, using Zymol Japon (37 percent carnauba).
Interior - Twice a year, using Zymol Vinyl on the dash and other plastic parts (car has no leather)
Looks like new, constantly get compliments!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 October 2001).]

Wash: Minimum once a week
Wax: Twice a month with Zaino
cool.gif

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black

I've had my 01' nearly 3 months and 3k miles. Haven't washed it yet, at least not with a bucket and water.

I clayed it day one(it had a lot of rough spots). Put 3 coats of Zaino on it. Now all I do is dust it, and Z6 it (nearly every day). It takes just 5 minutes, and keeps it looking perfect. Once a week I wipe down the wheels w/ some Z6, and dust out the interior w/ a swiffer.

I drive it to work every (non-rainy) day, and cruise around on the weekends. I probably won't wash it until the first time I miss judge the weather(or take a long trip).

I treated my Vette's this way for the last 4 years, and it kept the paint looking perfect(no swirls or scratches).

Originally posted by JohnC:
I've had my 01' nearly 3 months and 3k miles. Haven't washed it yet, at least not with a bucket and water.

I clayed it day one(it had a lot of rough spots). Put 3 coats of Zaino on it. Now all I do is dust it, and Z6 it (nearly every day). It takes just 5 minutes, and keeps it looking perfect. Once a week I wipe down the wheels w/ some Z6, and dust out the interior w/ a swiffer.

I drive it to work every (non-rainy) day, and cruise around on the weekends. I probably won't wash it until the first time I miss judge the weather(or take a long trip).

I treated my Vette's this way for the last 4 years, and it kept the paint looking perfect(no swirls or scratches).

What does (or is) "claying" mean?

------------------
no-thanks-i'll-park-it-myself

Claying means using automotive clay. Most lines of detailing products (including Zymol, Zaino, Meguiar's, Mother's, and Clay Magic) include a clay product. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like; it looks and feels like modeling clay that kids play with. You use it along with an enabling liquid, rubbing it along the moistened finish, and it removes irregularities in the finish. Good stuff on a once-in-a-while basis.

Here's what it says, for example, on Meguiar's website about their Quik Clay system:

"Every day, vehicle paint finishes are bombarded with a wide variety of airborne contaminants. Here are just a few of those that can cause the surface to become dull and rough: tree sap mist; paint overspray; industrial fallout; hard water deposits; diesel fuel exhausts; rubber particles from other cars; insect droppings; Bug splatter _ And much more! The Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System safely and quickly removes all these contaminants and restores crystal clear reflections and slickness. The system includes a specially formulated non-abrasive clay bar that safely lifts off the contaminants as the surface is lubricated with Quik Detailer. Instantly, paint is restored to a shiny, smooth as glass finish and is ready for wax protection to be added. Without this technology, many car owners would have been left with only more expensive alternatives to restore their investment."

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 29 October 2001).]

"....and wanted to try the Zaino line of products, and wanted to know which Zaino polish/wax..."

bb6,

There are two formulations of Zaino polish that would work for a NSX.

Z-2 and Z-5.
http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm

Z-2 has the best optical properties and Z-5 which is good for cars that have swirls or streaks. Many Zaino users start off with Z-5 and then switch to Z-2 after the swirls or streaks diminish. The two can be used interchangeably. Some people find that regardless of swirls or streaks that one or the might work better for them. In general, people who own dark color cars might do better with Z-5. Unless your car is new and pristine, I'd recommend starting out with Z-5.

Also highly recommended is their Z-6 enhancer. I use it as touch-up between polishings. It's also works nicely to remove any water marks that might appear after a wash.

Finally, the Zaino Z-7 car wash is very good also. It's one of my favorite Zaino products.

I generally wash my car every other week or as needed. I find that the Z-6 really does help to keep the dust off it when it's kept in the garage.

As far as Zaino polish goes, I apply a Z-5 treatment perhaps 2 to 3 times a year. It's probably overkill, but it's so easy to do. You wipe it on and then wipe it off.

Oh, and once a season (usually the first time out in the springtime) I apply and leave on Z-1 prior to the Z-5 (as per directions).

Hope this helps.
-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 29 October 2001).]

Back