• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Cover Question

I have several cars and so have to keep a couple of them outside, which I hate to do. This question applies to my 300ZX (the NSX stays in the garage) but its kind of a generic question so I thought some of you might know. I used to keep the ZX in the garage, and when I did, the paint was flawless. Now that I have to keep it parked outside, I keep in under a car cover. But every time I remove the cover, the car is filthy, and it really looks to me like the paint is suffering. Several areas on the car now look a little dull.

I sometimes use two covers: one is a Noah cover (says "Wolf" on the front) and is made for the car - it fits it like a glove, although its now pretty old and has a few holes in it. The over cover is a more of a one-size-fits-all, and goes over the car after I put on the Wolf cover. But the car still gets dirty. So, have any of you had good luck keeping your cars clean and shiny with a particular cover? By the way - the Wolf cover was fairly expensive, but I see a bunch of covers on ebay in the $60 range and was wondering if they are any good. Or maybe there are other solutions I havent thought about - I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!!

Larry

The problem with covers is when the wind blows, they rub against the paint. That is probably contributing to your dull areas. The covers also have to breath which lets the dirt in. I think you should replace the cover once it shows sign of wear. It sounds like your Noah is due to be replaced. At the very least wash it to get rid of the dirt.

There isn't much you can do besides wash the car often and protect it with a good polish with UV inhibitors.

What Big_D said is correct. But not all car covers are the same, irrespective of the marketing pitch or the name brand.

We have been offering a very compact indoor/outdoor car cover for years with two straps that tie the front and the back of the cover down, as well as a cable with lock, with lifetime warranty all as part of a packaged deal at $165 shipped. No one beats the price and service. Take a look here for details: http://www.khrantenterprises.com/covers/index.php

Last edited:
I found this place that makes REALLY NICE car covers ~ pure silk and various versions that use all hand stitched pieces custom made.

I'm having one custom made in black satin/yellow stitching for my IS-F.

If you are interested let me know, be prepared to pay $$$ though :)

There are various grades of (Stormproof, Satin stretch, Triguard, Silverguard)

rick

I have a 300zx as well. Its been outside ever since ive owned it for about 10years and I always keep it covered when not driving it.(been though 3 covers over the 10years) Ive been using the wolf 4layer breathable type covers and the paint is still good. Some dull spot do develop but waxes out easily.

I use a car cover mainly to protect the paint from sun damage, fading and oxidation since my car is black.

If you have space, a portable garage/canopy that covers all four sides should keep the dirt and dust off better then a car cover.

You could use one of these...
Outdoor_CarCapsule.jpg

http://www.carcapsule.com/home.htm

Just make sure you don't have a cat sitting on top of your car cover. The constant cat resting spot will create a dull spot. I used to have a cat that would sit on top of the car cover over the hood (where it is warm). Don't know what ever happened to that cat after I sprayed water on it.:wink::biggrin:

I have the factory cover and find that my car is always covered in dust after removing the cover, even if the car was clean prior to putting the cover on.

Anybody know how to wash the factory cover so this doesn't happen?

I have the factory cover and find that my car is always covered in dust after removing the cover, even if the car was clean prior to putting the cover on.

Anybody know how to wash the factory cover so this doesn't happen?

As long as the underside has that fuzzy fleecy/cotton material, lint will continue to happen, there is no escaping. It is just like washing your cotton towels .....

I have several cars and so have to keep a couple of them outside, which I hate to do. This question applies to my 300ZX (the NSX stays in the garage) but its kind of a generic question so I thought some of you might know. I used to keep the ZX in the garage, and when I did, the paint was flawless. Now that I have to keep it parked outside, I keep in under a car cover. But every time I remove the cover, the car is filthy, and it really looks to me like the paint is suffering. Several areas on the car now look a little dull.

I sometimes use two covers: one is a Noah cover (says "Wolf" on the front) and is made for the car - it fits it like a glove, although its now pretty old and has a few holes in it. The over cover is a more of a one-size-fits-all, and goes over the car after I put on the Wolf cover. But the car still gets dirty. So, have any of you had good luck keeping your cars clean and shiny with a particular cover? By the way - the Wolf cover was fairly expensive, but I see a bunch of covers on ebay in the $60 range and was wondering if they are any good. Or maybe there are other solutions I havent thought about - I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!!

Larry

I found some decent ones from empire. This cover was a replacement cover for a custom cover that cost three times as much and started leaking water and collecting dust under the cover in less than a year. My Empire cover is 4 months old, has survived numerous strong thunderstorms and seering Texas sun, and so far is exceeding my expectations. I have 3 cars under cover, soon the other two will be covered by Empire.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com

coverprius1.jpg

I too am looking for a good solution for car covers. I've been considering the SOS outdooor (3 ply silver) one, but I just got off the phone with them and they said its a really really tight OEM fit. May not accommodate aero parts.

I used to have the wolf one. Blue, cotton weave. It was pretty thin, but it worked well, it just created a lot of blue dust when I took it off. Blue dust showed up well on a red car too. Anyways, I'm not necessarily looking for one to fit aftermarket parts as I know tight fits are always better.

Ive used these guys in the past with custom orders. Excellent product.

www.calcarcover.com

Just an FYI, their ExtremeWeave is almost identical to our product yet when you add the cost of the $10 cable/lock and $14 shipping you end up at $194. They claim a storage bag is included but it still shows up as a "discounted" accessory before checkout!

We offer ours with cable/lock, storage bag, and antenna patch, all for $165 - and with logo for $185 - shipped and not with 5 years warranty but lifetime limited warranty. It's your choice :wink:

Last edited:
Hrant, How well does your cover accomodate body kits? Does it flex/stretch at all? NSX-R wing, wings west lip, those sorts of pieces? I'm definitely interested in your covers. Are they single ply?

Hrant, How well does your cover accomodate body kits? Does it flex/stretch at all? NSX-R wing, wings west lip, those sorts of pieces? I'm definitely interested in your covers. Are they single ply?

Our car cover does accommodate a wide body kit as shown in one of the pictures on the website; but it is tight around wide body fenders.
http://www.khrantenterprises.com/covers/index.php

The NSX-R wing is not an issue and we have tested it; it does fit. No flex, this is a one piece microfiber/Denier material that will not scratch the paint - assuming you don't have any dirt or dust already on the car. Note the amount of coverage we offer, almost to the floor, and plenty of material in the back to cover the exhaust tips/rear valence [more pics are available if you want].

Do a quick search or check the i-Trader, you will see many satisfied customers :wink:

After searching around, I decided to go with the SOS cover. Its pricey, but was money well spent in my opinion. its a thicker cover, with a tarp-like outside that is 100% waterproof, and an inner liner to help it breathe. It also has a bandit lock system built into it, which SOS doesnt advertise. I have a wings west kit, and it fit over all of it no problem. While none of it really "flexes", it does have a generous amount of extra material that goes under the front and back end, giving you some extra room to fit moderately sized lips, i.e. the wings west lip.

Back