• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car duster, good idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used a quality duster on my light colored cars for years without issue.

Only on dust from the car sitting in the garage when I am too lazy to put the covers back on.

Key is to know when it's just to dirty to use a duster.

If it's not a daily driver and garaged then a car cover is a huge asset! I would suggest a good quality indoor specific cover with a high dust resistance rating. I've had a cover for every garaged car I've owned in the past 20 years and tried them all.
My latest cover purchase was a Covercraft Dustop. Midrange price, thick 4 ply for scratch and dent protection and a high dust resistant rating. Not the prettiest or best one I've ever had but overall extremely effective and hard to beat for the price. Also not a fan of the semi custom fit covers way to much extra material flopping around so if you've got something nice to protect get a custom fit one if it's within your budget.

Thanks
Alex

Last edited:
I think car dusters are a good way to put scratches in to your paint. Leave it dusty or if you are storing it long term, drape something over it like a sheet of plastic.

Dusters work great when used properly. If your car is well waxed and has a little dust from sitting in the garage, a duster used carefully is fine. My cars are also silver. If they were black I would probably use a duster less. You have to make sure to shake the duster well before and after each use. I used the same duster for years in our new car showroom. All of the cars had a good coat of wax. Sometimes there would be dark coloured cars displayed, and they might be there for some time. Extra care was required to avoid micro marring these cars.

I have OEM cars covers, and they do allow a small amount of dust to reach the surface of the car. Throwing another cheap cover over the fitted one takes care of that. I have also used a Car Capsule for many years for one of my cars. There is no dust after a winters worth of storage, as the air is circulated and filtered. It also provides added protection of the inflated bubble and keeps rodents out too. Highly recommended.

The less you touch your car (microfiber cloth, car duster, etc) the better.

I tried the California duster. It didn’t work well at all. It left wax streaks all over the car. My car is black so you see I everything. Microfiber cloths worked far better for me.

A California duster can leave the odd wax trail when new. Nothing a little detailing spray and microfiber cloth can't take care of. After using it a few times this will cease to be an issue. Jinks, did you happen to read the instructions for the duster? You're supposed to place the duster on some newspaper for 48 hours before using. The excess paraffin wax is absorbed into the newspaper, and the issue you had will be avoided, for the most part. Black paint shows every little thing. I expect you are fully aware of that by this point!

yes after the duster is cured somewhat it is pretty good at light dust on a black car also the dash...but new out of the wrapper lots o paraffin...

Yeah, it still left wax streaks after a few uses so I stopped using it. It does work great on lighter colored cars though. My car used to be covered in dust even with a car cover when parked in my garage in California. Looking forward to not having that as much here in SW Florida. Now it’ll just be rain water.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back