• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Car Security

So I did a search on this subject and read the appropriate posts.

My question is.....it seems there is somewhat a consensus not to mod too much 2005's (which I just bought :smile: ). I am kinda nervous, however, driving the car around without extra protection than the factory alarm unit. I am on the other hand reluctant to have some highschool kid muck around and drill holes in the car to install an aftermarket alarm in the car. I was leaning more toward just having a kill switch installed.

Any imput from later model owners what they have done to the car for security (kills switches, type of alarms, ect....)?

How hard would a self installed kill switch be to install?

THX :cool:

I would hardly call an aftermarket alarm a mod, its more of an improvement and unless your into cassette tapes i would think that the stereo is also in need of an upgrade.

It really doesnt matter if you have an 05 or a 91, certain aspects of the NSX are simply outdated and you either dont care and can live with them or you can and you upgrade them. The choice is yours and dont let pure pressure persuade you one way or the other.

An alternative to a "kill switch" which imo is worst than an aftermarket alarm, would be Lojack or something like that. imho a tracking device is ALLOTT more useful than an alarm if theft is a concern of yours.

stay away from the "big box" chains.im sure someone is going to pop up and defend best buy or whatnot and MAYBE they found one that isn't populated with kids that have no clue what they are doing inside your car.i personally have been a mobile electronics installer for over 12 years and couldn't recommend a single on anywhere near me.
find a smaller custom oriented shop. then go in and talk to them. find out how long the installer that will do YOUR car has been installing security. not how long the shop has been around or how long the manager has been doing it. pick a brand with a good warranty and make sure that if there for whatever reason there ever IS an issue they stand behind their labor and parts 100%.
also note that if you purchase something like a viper(which we sell at our shop)that you don't have it done anywhere but an authorized dealer, as they will not honor the warranty otherwise. its a nice car, don't cut corners on something like your security system that you will use every day.

I've always thought one of these http://www.mymobileguardian.com/ (or comparable - there seem to be hundreds of gps vehicle tracking services out there focused on everything from fleet owners, to parents, to people worried about theft) installed by someone who knows what they're doing (clean, and not easy to find/remove even by someone familir with the technology) would be one of the best means to stopping a theft in progress or recovering a stolen vehicle. If you can add recorded closed circuit video to the premesis I think that would help as well (if it doesn't prevent the crime it might provide enough clues to identify the guilty party).

I thought about getting a LoJack system installed, but I thought that I probably wouldn't want to get the car back if it is stolen anyway. I just have the factory alarm, whatever that does. I also use a car cover, that is also an effective theft deterrent.

stay away from the "big box" chains.im sure someone is going to pop up and defend best buy or whatnot and MAYBE they found one that isn't populated with kids that have no clue what they are doing inside your car.i personally have been a mobile electronics installer for over 12 years and couldn't recommend a single on anywhere near me.
find a smaller custom oriented shop. then go in and talk to them. find out how long the installer that will do YOUR car has been installing security. not how long the shop has been around or how long the manager has been doing it. pick a brand with a good warranty and make sure that if there for whatever reason there ever IS an issue they stand behind their labor and parts 100%.
also note that if you purchase something like a viper(which we sell at our shop)that you don't have it done anywhere but an authorized dealer, as they will not honor the warranty otherwise. its a nice car, don't cut corners on something like your security system that you will use every day.

THX for the reply.

It happens that the local private shop I talked to uses the Viper product line.

They recommended the 5002 model. Given that the NSX is manual, the remote start feature of the 7900 would be wasted money I guess.

I was gonna to add the glass brake sensor and back up battery options. Any comment, if I also need the digital tilt sensor. Any comments about where the main alarm brain should be installed. The local shop noted it is usually done under the dash.

i have the new responder LE. its a remote start model, but has built in safety features for starting. i also installed it because i HATE the giant remotes the other 2-ways come with. i like the 2-way and dont need a screen on it as long as it alerts me.

as for the extra sensors, thats your call. are you leaving it somewhere that its LIKELY to get stolen and need that many sensors? i rely on the door triggers and shock sensor and i'm good, but i don't park my car in the ghetto. the backup battery is a nice option, just gives a little more time if someone manages to find and cut the power.

the main reason it normally goes under the driver fash is because thats where the majority of the wires are for install in most cars. in ours they are under the passenger dash so...

in the end make sure they are an AUTHORIZED dealer, not some shop thats "getting" viper and installing it. also make sure they guarantee IF theres ever an issue you can bring it in and they will take care of it no questions asked. that and don't forget what i said about making sure the guy who specifically does your car has been doing security for more than a week. there are a lot of good shops that hire people just to take up slack.

Back