• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon fiber air box cover

I just got around to installing mine.

First off, the OEM screws will NOT work with this cover. The cover has threaded inserts and the shank of the OEM screws won't allow the screw to fully engage. So off to home depot I went to pick up some M5-.8 X 25mm screws and washers. When I got back, I started to install the cover and noticed it didn't want to tighten up properly. The threads on the cover were binding against the mating threads on the lower half.

Well, I ended up drilling out the threaded inserts on the cover to open them up to clearance holes. I started with an 11/32, then 3/16, followed by a 7/32. In the process...a couple of the inserts popped out from the cover which was pretty frustrating. I had to tap them back in after I finished opening up the hole.

Eventually, I got all six drilled out and the cover was much easier to install at that point. I somehow managed to scratch the clearcoat during the drilling process which was my fault for not putting painters tape on it to begin with :mad:.

I suggest that this cover be outfitted with inserts that have clearance holes and not threads. Trying to put a screw through 2 threaded parts isn't the best thing to do. It can end up leaving a gap between the two halves and dirt can enter you engine.

Anyway ...my .02

I just got around to installing mine.

First off, the OEM screws will NOT work with this cover. The cover has threaded inserts and the shank of the OEM screws won't allow the screw to fully engage. So off to home depot I went to pick up some M5-.8 X 25mm screws and washers. When I got back, I started to install the cover and noticed it didn't want to tighten up properly. The threads on the cover were binding against the mating threads on the lower half.

Well, I ended up drilling out the threaded inserts on the cover to open them up to clearance holes. I started with an 11/32, then 3/16, followed by a 7/32. In the process...a couple of the inserts popped out from the cover which was pretty frustrating. I had to tap them back in after I finished opening up the hole.

Eventually, I got all six drilled out and the cover was much easier to install at that point. I somehow managed to scratch the clearcoat during the drilling process which was my fault for not putting painters tape on it to begin with :mad:.

I suggest that this cover be outfitted with inserts that have clearance holes and not threads. Trying to put a screw through 2 threaded parts isn't the best thing to do. It can end up leaving a gap between the two halves and dirt can enter you engine.

Anyway ...my .02

Im so sorry if you had a hard time installing the cover. I had 9 made and none of the other buyers had this problem besides yours. You should of PM me with this problem, I would have ask you to send it back to me so I can get it fix. Again Im so sorry you had this problem.

Im so sorry if you had a hard time installing the cover. I had 9 made and none of the other buyers had this problem besides yours. You should of PM me with this problem, I would have ask you to send it back to me so I can get it fix. Again Im so sorry you had this problem.

I am fine with the cover after I made the modifications. It is on my car as I post this. I just wanted to give the other buyers heads up since chances are they haven't got around to installing it yet. I am not trying to be negative, just wanted to share the experience I had. I still think its a good product, just that there is room for improvement. Hopefully the next batch will be even better.

BRAND NEW CARBON FIBER AIR BOX COVER

*110% MADE IN USA
*110% PERFECT FITMENT
*MADE WITH SUPER THICK UV CLEAR COAT
*MUST USE OEM SCREWS
*MADE FOR OEM FITMENT
PRICE $287 FIRM[/SIZE]..[/COLOR]

$25 SHIPPING OUTSIDE OF USA!

PLEASE SEND PAYPAL PAYMENT TO [email protected]

I MADE 5 BLACK CARBON FIBER AIR BOX COVER- 4 IS ON HOLD FOR THOSE WHO MISSED THE FIRST BATCH (PM SENT). AS OF RITE NOW THEIRS ONLY 1 LEFT

ALSO I HAD ONLY 1 KEVLAR COVER SPECIALLY MADE FOR BLURYNSX (SALE PENDING) If the sale doesnt go through first one that PM me takes it.
KEVLAR/CARBON AIR BOX PRICE:$340 SHIPPED

THESE COVERS ARE THE SAME VERSON AS THE FIRST BATCH. ALL BEEN TEST FITTED!!!!

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

AS OF RIGHT NOW THEIRS ONLY 1 BLK CARBON FIBER AIR BOX COVER LEFT

KEVLAR TEST FIT:
IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

Last edited:
i want a CF one, pm'ed ya.

sold out

i might be making 5 more if anyone is still interested let me know. Its going to be a 2 weeks waiting period.NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED.

THE KEVLAR IS STILL PENDING!!

Last edited:
I was ready to buy one on your last batch but you didn't even give me one day after your PM to pay and sold them to another guy! Not a very good business practice....:mad:

I understand you need to sell these but if you promise a customer a product you should hold out your end of the bargain and at least give them a few days to respond.

Don't care how good your product is but customer service is what sticks in people's mind. Not all of us are glued to the internet....my 2 cents

THE KEVLAR IS STILL PENDING!!

Mine has been installed of course I was the Kevlar one :p
will post pics soon, it is a sweet piece for sure only thing I wished was the inside was a little smoother (not that anyone will ever see it) but for the price I think its an excellent product and was super happy with the quick turn around and shipping times.:biggrin:

I am interested in the CF airbox cover and am ready to buy whenever they are ready.

thanks!

Nate in DC

this is not any bigger than OEM right? I mean it should fit an NSX-T?

The reason I ask is b/c this dude is selling it b/c it wont fit his NSX-T for some reason..... maybe user error?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130745

No it's definitely not "user error". Let me clarify my findings on this. I finally got around to attempt the install the CF air box cover. After I removed the OEM air box cover I put it side by side with the CF air box cover just to find that it was taller in height. I was puzzled as to why that was, so I carefully look at my OEM engine cover/targa top holder. Upon closer inspection I notice that the underside of OEM engine cover/targa top holder have a depression where the air box resides. After my discovery I didn't even bother to attempt to install the aftermarket CF air box cover because I didn't want to risk damaging it or scratch it.

BRAND NEW CARBON FIBER AIR BOX COVER

SOLD OUT
*110% MADE IN USA
*110% PERFECT FITMENT
*MUST USE OEM SCREWS
*MADE FOR OEM FITMENT
PRICE $287 FIRM

$25 SHIPPING OUTSIDE OF USA!

PLEASE SEND PAYPAL PAYMENT TO [email protected]

I MADE 5 BLACK CARBON FIBER AIR BOX COVER- 4 IS ON HOLD FOR THOSE WHO MISSED THE FIRST BATCH (PM SENT). AS OF RITE NOW THEIRS ONLY 1 LEFT

ALSO I HAD ONLY 1 KEVLAR COVER SPECIALLY MADE FOR BLURYNSX (SALE PENDING) If the sale doesnt go through first one that PM me takes it.
KEVLAR/CARBON AIR BOX PRICE:$340 SHIPPED

THESE COVERS ARE THE SAME VERSON AS THE FIRST BATCH. ALL BEEN TEST FITTED!!!!

INSTALLATION TIP:
Before installing the cover insert the OEM screws into the cf cover first. If you think you might have problems, please ship your oem bottom piece + air filter and I will attach it for you!

Contactace8,
On your ad you mentioned that it's "110% PERFECT FITMENT" & "MADE FOR OEM FITMENT", but mine doesn't fit my OEM engine cover/targa top holder. Was this overlooked during the fitment process for the NSX-T models? It is possible to get a full refund?

Last edited:
I apologize for the fitment issue. I cant issue you a refund. It been little over 10 months since your purchase. I would understand if it was within 2-3 months. I try my best to be a good vendor on this board and its hard to keep everyone happy. Again I apologize.

Hi guys,

i think after all these years everyone should know by now that the Coupe and Targa air box covers ARE different... having the targa one a flat/depression area and being the Coupe one of a almost round shape.

This seller's airbox covers were clearly molded from the Coupe one, so it will only fit Targas that DON'T have the OEM engine cover. If the seller didn't mention this, that is another question, but we should always try to dig deeper and don't be stuck ONLY on what vendors say... after all, errors are normal in Human beings...

for example: i almost bought a Targa engine strut tower brace and after i bother the seller with it, i realized that in the coupe, there is no way to bolt it to the firewall...so, i had to back out (although it's hard for me to stand back from a commitment).

Nuno

I apologize for the fitment issue. I cant issue you a refund. It been little over 10 months since your purchase. I would understand if it was within 2-3 months. I try my best to be a good vendor on this board and its hard to keep everyone happy. Again I apologize.

Well I think you need to try harder (to be a good vendor), I figure that that's the stance you'll take on this matter which is why I put it up for sale on the marketplace. Yes, I should have checked it for any fitment issues earlier on when I got it, but I took your word (ad posting) for it, thinking it fits all NSX's including targas. I just find it somewhat misleading on your ad when you clearly indicated that...
*110% MADE IN USA
*110% PERFECT FITMENT
*MUST USE OEM SCREWS
*MADE FOR OEM FITMENT
There was no indication one way or the other, that it only fits hard top coupes or fits only modified or aftermarket engine covers, which happens to be the case. I'm not saying you're a bad or good vendor, but I don't see what the dfference is if it was purchase 2-3 month back vs. 10+ month back, it's all the same and in the same calendar year. It's not like I was trying to return something that was unusable, used or damaged (it's new like how it was sent to me). I myself have never sold anything that doesn't fit or otherwise. I always give a full disclosure for anything I sell, if a part was defective, compromised, fit certain years, models, etc. If there was a return policy indicated with a time duration on your vendor's page or website, I would have just left it alone, but the fact of the matter is....there isn't. To me I feel like this was made up as you go along to whatever suits best for you. As the saying goes "The customers always right", right?

Hi guys,

i think after all these years everyone should know by now that the Coupe and Targa air box covers ARE different... having the targa one a flat/depression area and being the Coupe one of a almost round shape.

This seller's airbox covers were clearly molded from the Coupe one, so it will only fit Targas that DON'T have the OEM engine cover. If the seller didn't mention this, that is another question, but we should always try to dig deeper and don't be stuck ONLY on what vendors say... after all, errors are normal in Human beings...

for example: i almost bought a Targa engine strut tower brace and after i bother the seller with it, i realized that in the coupe, there is no way to bolt it to the firewall...so, i had to back out (although it's hard for me to stand back from a commitment).

Nuno
Well if I had all the time in the world to tinker around and explore every fascit of my NSX then there wouldn't be a problem. I'm one of those who have a busy work and family schedule. I just don't have the luxury or time to be that person.

Last edited:
Back