• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon fiber center consoles (DOWNFORCE)

I think there is a huge market for this. Now that double din head units are reasonably priced, everyone wants one. The stock unit is just too dated As for Tamoske, just look at the other thread on his group buy. I paid him 3 months ago and still have not received it. You can read all the problems were having. Thats the problem with a foreign supplier.

I think there is a huge market for this. Now that double din head units are reasonably priced, everyone wants one. The stock unit is just too dated As for Tamoske, just look at the other thread on his group buy. I paid him 3 months ago and still have not received it. You can read all the problems were having. Thats the problem with a foreign supplier.

Not to bash Downforce or anything but isn't 3 months about how long it takes them to ship something out in a GB once they've taken your money?

See here and here

But I would be interested in seeing them come up with another alternative for this piece

Not to bash Downforce or anything but isn't 3 months about how long it takes them to ship something out in a GB once they've taken your money?

It might take 3 months, but I would wait that long for the quality that Downforce puts in all their products.

Or for those who plan on keeping the fact. radio, has anyone considered carbon wrapping the fact. piece? No doubt there would be no fitment issues.:smile:

any recommendations on who can carbon wrap? I woudl not mind doing that since there is minor peel.

What if I made one in a brushed aluminum finish and possibly an ABS version?

Yes. I have been looking everywhere for brushed aluminium finished Centre Console. And as Angelo 08 mentioned, you might also consider producing the vent portion and door switch panel in brushed aluminium finish.

I am definitely in. Btw, silly question, what is ABS?

Oh, one more thing, please produce them for the RHD version... PLEASEEE! :cool:

Problems with other vendors: one, cost a kidney, the other, fitment issues and another, assurance and time issues.

sorry to ask but what is 2x2 twill ??

This refers to the weave of the carbon 2x2 twill is very common in the US
2x2 twill
3k_Carbon_Fiber_Fabric_Twill_2x2.jpg

Standard weave is more popular in Japan and is a 1 over 1 under weave
Plain weave
Carbon_fibers_Kohlenstofffasermatte.jpg

My favorite
4x4 twill
cf48350.jpg

I'd like to add my vote and some rational for producing NSX CF, aluminum, or other material interior parts for the NSX. I have a 91 and recently (over the past year) the interior door release broke, the interior door panel cracked, the door handle leather has wore out and is showing white, the front pillars (between dash and roof) have cracked, and the sun visor cracked. The car has always been garaged but is a daily driver. I do use a sun shield. I’ve been told that Honda no longer makes interior stuff and once the supply dries up we will all be screwed as our cars age. I’ve got 120K miles on mine, so NSXs will be around for a long time - as long as there are enthusiasts such as those posting on prime. I’d buy any interior pieces that could be fabbed at a reasonable price and with good build quality.

I'm not a craftsman by any means, but I tried to make an aluminum console for the heck of it. I mostly had weight savings in mind, but really didn't like the look of the aluminum contrasting with the otherwise black interior.

So, I ended up painting the console black. It might have looked cool with other interior parts in aluminum, but my next step is to fabricate something to replace the heavy door panels. I'll want to keep those black.

The stock console (center vent, clock, console w/ boot, fan, and ashtray) weighed 3lbs, 3oz. The 0.025" thick aluminum is a small fraction of that. Oh yeah, removing the glovebox saved 4lbs, 1oz.

I'm not a craftsman by any means, but I tried to make an aluminum console for the heck of it. I mostly had weight savings in mind, but really didn't like the look of the aluminum contrasting with the otherwise black interior.

So, I ended up painting the console black. It might have looked cool with other interior parts in aluminum, but my next step is to fabricate something to replace the heavy door panels. I'll want to keep those black.

The stock console (center vent, clock, console w/ boot, fan, and ashtray) weighed 3lbs, 3oz. The 0.025" thick aluminum is a small fraction of that. Oh yeah, removing the glovebox saved 4lbs, 1oz.

I recently completed an aluminum center console look. I do not like it. It seems out of place in the NSX. My interior is doe/tan color so that may have something to do w/ it. I am going back to a black paint job on the center console. Of everything I have tried (5 different consoles now) carbon fiber is by far the best looking in the NSX. Finding a Quality cf console at a fair price is the only issue. Sounds like Downforce may be hearing our pleas.

It seems like the problem here is that everyone wants their center console 17 different ways, and now with user specified twil. :biggrin:

As no one offered a blank one sans everything... I just made my own via hand-layup for the time being. It came out a little rough so I had to clear and dry it a few times- but after trimming off the edges it proved adequate for a basic switch panel.

I will say that I can definitely appreciate how difficult getting a production piece to come out perfect can be.

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 284
It seems like the problem here is that everyone wants their center console 17 different ways, and now with user specified twil. :biggrin:

As no one offered a blank one sans everything... I just made my own via hand-layup for the time being. It came out a little rough so I had to clear and dry it a few times- but after trimming off the edges it proved adequate for a basic switch panel.

I will say that I can definitely appreciate how difficult getting a production piece to come out perfect can be.
Looks kinda dry, you might want to baste.:rolleyes:

I would be up for one to replace my OEM one and the 2 door pieces where the window controls are. I don't plan to monkey with my stereo, it works just fine. My gosh, it is a Bose and serves me just fine. I have one in my Legend and it is a '95, one year older than my NSX, and it also works great and is all I need. I don't know what everybodys beef is with them. Maybe I am missing something + I don't know what a double din is and why everyone is so hot for one. I guess I need to drop in a stereo store and ask them to educate me.

My gosh, it is a Bose and serves me just fine.

Not to hijack but you say that as if that name is actually a good name. It depends on who you ask but if it's anyone in the audio industry and not an uneducated consumer, the name Bose (A.K.A. Blows) is more of a joke than anything else. It's all marketing hype; the products themselves are pretty poor. Especially for what they cost.

Back