• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon Fiber Engine Cover

Deposit sent......would also like to have a prop rod. Don't mind having to wait a bit if need be for the rod.

Deposit Sent.

Gloss black with mesh.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I have not post any updates. I have been sick with flu in the past week. There is confusion over the engine cover prop rod. The engine cover currently doesn't accommodate prop rod. However, the seller might be able to drill a few holes so we can mount the prop rod ourselves. I have just email the seller to confirm this.

Those of you who issued deposit already, if the engine cover does not support prop rod and if this is not acceptable, your deposit will be refunded.

I will update again soon

By the way, the seller is interested in making the targa engine cover. A member will be sending a set of the targa hinges to the seller soon. I think the targa version will be available soon.

Those of you who issued deposit already, if the engine cover does not support prop rod and if this is not acceptable, your deposit will be refunded.

I am ok with recieving mine without the holes for the prop rod if it gets it to me faster I guess, I was just planning on drilling the holes myself to mount the prop rod and clip anyways, but if it won't take much longer I can wait for one with the holes...as long as it will work with my stock prop rod setup for a 91, where it bolts to the cover and the prop rod sticks in the glass latch when up.
like this...
9491ad_9_engine.JPG

Please see the pictures:

10175Picture_213.jpg

10175Picture_208.jpg

10175Picture_215.jpg

10175Picture_216.jpg

The seller will NOT change the design of the mesh engine cover at this time. The reason is that by mounting the prop rod, it will change the appearence of the engine bay area. If you definitely want the prop rod, then, you will just need to mount the bracket to the mesh net.

Seller is still waiting for the mesh net to arrive at his shop. He is thinking it will be middle of March for shipment.

Last edited:
Just my 0.02 cent: The mounting should NOT be visible with the cover down.

I agree. I actually just took some pics of my stock cover. The rod should swing the opposite direction to the drivers side (well the left side anyways). Hope these photos help.
I guess with the angle the rod sits at it maybe impossible for it not to show through. But it would show less this way. I am still up for drilling my own, maybe I could just expirment with it that way and come up with something.

12656Pictures0007-med.jpg

12656Pictures0008-med.jpg

12656Pictures0009-med.jpg

I just realized there are two different spots to mount the retainter for the rod depending if the car is right or left hand driver. you can see that on my stock cover this is probably why the seller is trying to put the retainer to the right side.

I just realized there are two different spots to mount the retainter for the rod depending if the car is right or left hand driver. you can see that on my stock cover this is probably why the seller is trying to put the retainer to the right side.

I just sent the seller an email asking to see if he has the left hand or right hand drive NSX. See the picture above, the prop rod is mounted differently in his car.

I just sent the seller an email asking to see if he has the left hand or right hand drive NSX. See the picture above, the prop rod is mounted differently in his car.

He is trying to mount it to the right side because his car is a right hand drive car as the photos show above (you can see his steering wheel in one of the pics). This makes sense for him because if it was mounted like a US spec car, you would have to pop the engine glass, then go around the the left side to put the prop rod up...so thats why honda left the flexiblility of mounting it both ways depending which market the car was for.
So he would have to mount it to the left for it to make more sense for the US cars. The rod base bolts to the same place, just the retainer is on the left instead.
Here are a couple images from SOS's website of how they do it. You can see they left a little extra material to mount the base to, though, it may be to late to do this on the covers if they are made already.
mesh_standard_oncar.jpg

FRP%20engine%20cover.jpg

Last edited:
The seller will NOT change the design of the mesh engine cover at this time. The reason is that by mounting the prop rod, it will change the appearence of the engine bay area. If you definitely want the prop rod, then, you will just need to mount the bracket to the mesh net.

Seller is still waiting for the mesh net to arrive at his shop. He is thinking it will be middle of March for shipment.[/QUOTE]

For the record, I don't want any additional holes drilled for the prop rod. Prefer the unobstructed look.

Seller is still waiting for the mesh net to arrive at his shop. He is thinking it will be middle of March for shipment.

For the record, I don't want any additional holes drilled for the prop rod. Prefer the unobstructed look.[/QUOTE]

As I said before, Im fine with out holes on mine too, I can figure out how to mount the rod myself. Thanks for the update, can't wait for it.

NSXROC,

This sounds to be moving along well. I have a Targa so have a few questions for you please

1. Cannot transfer rubber edging - are you able to supply as option?
2. no roof storage (not happy with it sliding around in boot)
3. Prop spoils it as will be seen through the mesh - really needs NSX-R prop IMO
4. Still haven't seen a photo of actual product, just one's showing what it 'should' look like.

On question 2 above - has anyone a solution to prevent the roof panel from being damaged (or the boot lining) if panel is stored in boot?

regards,

Would it be difficult to source a NSX-R's short prop rod? Or is this part rare?

Good question Jim - one I have been pondering.

I guess the further question, should sourcing NSX-R short prop rod's be possible, is do we need to sell a kidney to pay for one?!:eek:

NSXROC,

This sounds to be moving along well. I have a Targa so have a few questions for you please

1. Cannot transfer rubber edging - are you able to supply as option?
2. no roof storage (not happy with it sliding around in boot)
3. Prop spoils it as will be seen through the mesh - really needs NSX-R prop IMO
4. Still haven't seen a photo of actual product, just one's showing what it 'should' look like.

On question 2 above - has anyone a solution to prevent the roof panel from being damaged (or the boot lining) if panel is stored in boot?

regards,

What rubber edging? Were you referring to the weather strip? If yes, you will need to get the replacement from a dealer.

The engine cover picture that I had posted will be the acutal product sold by the seller.

I don't have a targa. I will need to meet with someone with the targa model to check out the engine bay area before I can help anserwing any questions. The seller does not have any access to a targa NSX.

Good question Jim - one I have been pondering.

I guess the further question, should sourcing NSX-R short prop rod's be possible, is do we need to sell a kidney to pay for one?!:eek:
Just how many kidneys can one invest in an NSX?

From people I've spoken too about the R short prop, its about as rare as hens teeth. This is not made any easier by the fact that Honda are now requesting proof of Type R ownership before releasing parts!

regards,

..........R short prop, its about as rare as hens teeth. This is not made any easier by the fact that Honda are now requesting proof of Type R ownership before releasing parts!

regards,

Hmmm, but we have one or 2 'tame' Type R owners.......would Honda bat an eyelid if one of them were to order a dozen short prop's?:rolleyes:

Back