• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon Fiber

I have no experience in dealing with carbon fiber, I'm pretty sure it's usually cleared which would tell me it can be polished. I bought a used engine cover and need to clean it up a bit. My question is does anyone know if it can be color sanded and polished ( in the same sense as doing headlights/tail lights )? I think I know the answer that it's a bad idea but figured I'd ask to see if theres any experience with this out there?
Thanks,
Bob

Yeah sorry, color sanding = wet sanding / scuff n buff
I don't know what color sanding is but I'm going to assume you can scuff it up and re-clear. If you just scuff and polish it will dull from what I'm told

Yeah sorry, color sanding = wet sanding / scuff n buff

Yeah, if I were you. Sand it with like 600 grit and re-clear it.

Juke it to some auto shop and ask them to clear after a car or something. Shouldn't be much and if you go the buffing route then it'll dull I think. Just re-clear and be done. Plus it has uv protection unlike buffing with compound.

Yeah your probably right, would look better too. Good call.
Yeah, if I were you. Sand it with like 600 grit and re-clear it.

Juke it to some auto shop and ask them to clear after a car or something. Shouldn't be much and if you go the buffing route then it'll dull I think. Just re-clear and be done. Plus it has uv protection unlike buffing with compound.

Scuff the whole thing down with a 1000 grit using a block, if you do have rough areas use 800, any less of a grit you will have to bring it back up to 1000 IE: 600/800 blocking damaged areas and back sand the remaining surface with 1000. Ensure you finish the rough area with the 1000 grit to uniform the adhesion or your clear could show imperfections (sanding marks). Re-clear with a UV protectant application and you should be golden.

Scuff the whole thing down with a 1000 grit using a block, if you do have rough areas use 800, any less of a grit you will have to bring it back up to 1000 IE: 600/800 blocking damaged areas and back sand the remaining surface with 1000. Ensure you finish the rough area with the 1000 grit to uniform the adhesion or your clear could show imperfections (sanding marks). Re-clear with a UV protectant application and you should be golden.

Yeah what Gil said. He's got a lot of experience with sanding and painting and clearing and much more, haha.

thanks guys..

Sleek be careful with making it too shiny. You will get bad glare on the window and it will be hard to see out back. That is whay Honda used the fuzzy "flock" on the OEM covers.

This

Back