• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carfax

First I would like to say that in no way shape or form am I trying to come across with a "holier than thou' attitude(implications include myself). I am not intending to cause problems or trying to create 'trolling' activities.

A recent run-in with a few members has inspired me to post this thread in hopes of clearing the air, avoid unnecessary arguing, insults, and bad feelings.

While I still don't agree with the manner in which certain members have approached others regarding this issue, I can however, understand their position.

If you want to do this type of thing behind closed doors, I suppose that's you business. In the public eye, however, might be a different story...

It has come to recent attention that Carfax 'sharing' is met with a high level of unacceptance on this message board. I felt it necessary to give those that don't know, a fair warning. I believe the nature of this problem lies in the unfortunate fact that Carfax sharing has become so commonplace, that most don't give a second thought to the nature of this activity. For many, it has become nothing more than a friendly gesture and has been accepted as such. However, in reality, no matter how you look at it, this 'sharing' should be considered inappropriate behavior for various reasons which should be obvious. I would like to think that most would not argue with this logic, and fully respect the board members views on this issue. So please, do yourself a favor, and think before you ask for a Carfax. You will be doing yourself, this community, and Carfax a great service. In addition, you will be saving yourself from any possible ridicule and risk of loosing respect of other fellow members.

Happy NSXing

Re: New and prospective owners, please read.

kcalvano said:
this 'sharing' should be considered inappropriate behavior for various reasons which should be obvious.
Happy NSXing
I'm sorry, but its not obvious to me, will someone please explain. I have noticed a tension now and then concerning Carfax but have never understood why. Is it because Carfax's wants you to not share so they can get money from everbody thats intrested in carfax individually? I know I have shared my Carfax acount in the past and been turned in by someone on a car forum and had my Carfax account cut short, is this the reason? I'm not flaming just really don't understand.

Greg Z said:
I'm sorry, but its not obvious to me, will someone please explain. I have noticed a tension now and then concerning Carfax but have never understood why. Is it because Carfax's wants you to not share so they can get money from everbody thats intrested in carfax individually? I know I have shared my Carfax acount in the past and been turned in by someone on a car forum and had my Carfax account cut short, is this the reason? I'm not flaming just really don't understand.

You do understand what theft of service is, do you??? You have contractually purchased the use of carfax for yourself. You have no right to give away information to another, you have not been granted that license.

Please do not try to justify stealing, it is offensive to me and others. Do you feel it is ok to copy music, movies or software and give it to your friends????? Do you have the nutz to walk into a store and pocket some merchandise and walk out....This is all the same.

Carfax is a business that must remain profitable. They are not an evil empire trying to screw over the common man. You on the other hand need to look in the mirror and question your honesty and integrity.

The above poster is correct and this should not be tolerated on Prime or any other site..........Seriously......Steve

95EagleAWD said:
Yes, I do.

In Canada, it's perfectly legal.

CARFAX is only good for cars in the States anyways, so for those who live outside the US, CARFAX is garbage.

:rolleyes:

95EagleAWD said:
Yes, I do.

In Canada, it's perfectly legal.

CARFAX is only good for cars in the States anyways, so for those who live outside the US, CARFAX is garbage.

as the child of a musician i feel i have to question this. sure it may be 'legal', but is it right to steal the work of somebody else just because you are too cheap to acquire it the right way? do you just walk through the gate at a concert and grab a seat without paying? theft is theft and stealing is stealing. tolerate it and you are no better than the perpetrator. :rolleyes:

Greg Z said:
Hi Greg,
I am sorry that some people lash out for no reason. The answer to your question is yes, carfax wants everyone to purchase their own carfax and not share. And if someone shares to help you out they could have their account terminated.

He was just asking a question so there was no reason to jump on his ass.

comtec said:
Hi Greg,
I am sorry that some people lash out for no reason. The answer to your question is yes, carfax wants everyone to purchase their own carfax and not share. And if someone shares to help you out they could have their account terminated.

He was just asking a question so there was no reason to jump on his ass.

I don't think anyone has lashed out; I am just taking a strong stand on what should be a very simple situation. It’s not like he asked to borrow your hammer and give it back. He is questioning stealing intellectual property that no one here or anywhere has the right to share. How can anyone of even simple intelligence question this??????? Steve

He is questioning stealing intellectual property that no one here or anywhere has the right to share.

I'm sorry steve but i don't read his post that way. He says that he doesn't understand and he is wondering if carfax allows sharing or not. He even apologizes for not knowing. If he was doing as you say i would agree but he is not.

comtec said:
I'm sorry steve but i don't read his post that way. He says that he doesn't understand and he is wondering if carfax allows sharing or not. He even apologizes for not knowing. If he was doing as you say i would agree but he is not.

I agree with you from that perspective, but it seems very naive not to understand that you are paying for a personal service....either way, its a lesson learned and I would like to see this great site and it participants stand for integrity as well as for the great info legitimately shared....Steve

needspeed said:
I agree with you from that perspective, but it seems very naive not to understand that you are paying for a personal service....either way, its a lesson learned and I would like to see this great site and it participants stand for integrity as well as for the great info legitimately shared....Steve
Hi Steve,
I guess it could get confusing in that the dealers have links to their carfax for the cars they are selling. Some people may not know they have a different type of account. Since i am picking up my car in 1 week this should be my last month with a carfax account. I agree with everything you said about nsxprime.

Cheers :smile:

OneRedNSX said:
as the child of a musician i feel i have to question this. sure it may be 'legal', but is it right to steal the work of somebody else just because you are too cheap to acquire it the right way? do you just walk through the gate at a concert and grab a seat without paying? theft is theft and stealing is stealing. tolerate it and you are no better than the perpetrator. :rolleyes:

As a musician myself and a member of several bands, I'm more than happy to find my music floating around the internet. It's free publicity, it pulls people to shows, and believe it or not, it sells records.

"Cheap"? You do know that artists receive about 1.5 to 2 percent of record sales, right? The rest goes to others, including the recording company, studio, etc.

Bands that put out good records, I do buy. But I'm not paying 25 bucks for a mediocre Weezer CD that has 11 songs on it, and only 3 I listen to. I'll download them.

comtec said:
Hi Steve,
I guess it could get confusing in that the dealers have links to their carfax for the cars they are selling. Some people may not know they have a different type of account. Since i am picking up my car in 1 week this should be my last month with a carfax account. I agree with everything you said about nsxprime.

Congrats, I hope you found a great car and have many years of enjoyment. Better post pics when you get it!!!!! .........Steve

95EagleAWD said:
As a musician myself and a member of several bands, I'm more than happy to find my music floating around the internet. It's free publicity, it pulls people to shows, and believe it or not, it sells records.

"Cheap"? You do know that artists receive about 1.5 to 2 percent of record sales, right? The rest goes to others, including the recording company, studio, etc.

Bands that put out good records, I do buy. But I'm not paying 25 bucks for a mediocre Weezer CD that has 11 songs on it, and only 3 I listen to. I'll download them.

This isn't 20 years ago. You don't have to buy a mediocre CD. If you want 3 songs it costs you $2.97. You won't pay that? I know you're a musician and that makes your opinion worth a bit more on this topic but you seem to be in the minority (for a musician).

I believe there should be no free file sharing whatsoever unless the musician/record company agrees to publish that way. People are downloading free music ONLY because the technology makes it pathetically easy.

I am not judging the asking or the sharing, but man, why waste your time trying to save $30? If you are looking for a car, its $30 for the whole month, right? Why would you want to rely on people on forums for copies of carfax? If that info turns out to be wrong, Carfax has a warranty... and you don't get that if you didn't buy it.

Frankly I think Carfax is an idea conjured up by insurance companies. Now everyone pays for fixing their own car because they don't want it to "wind up on carfax". Who makes out here other than the insurance companies?

needspeed said:
Congrats, I hope you found a great car and have many years of enjoyment. Better post pics when you get it!!!!! .........Steve
Thanks Steve,
I really appreciate that. And you can count on the pics.

hofffam said:
This isn't 20 years ago. You don't have to buy a mediocre CD. If you want 3 songs it costs you $2.97. You won't pay that? I know you're a musician and that makes your opinion worth a bit more on this topic but you seem to be in the minority (for a musician).

Most small indie musicians, like me, love file sharing. For the reasons I stated above.

It's mostly the record companies that care, since they're getting screwed out of their money. Bands don't make money off CDs, they make them off concerts.

needspeed said:

I thought you jumped on him too. I would guess that you are under 30 y/o? Maybe you work in a field that makes it money in a way that carfax does? Either way I think carfax sucks. It only gives you information that one could get for free in NY from dmv. What carfax sells really has no value.

needspeed said:
You do understand what theft of service is, do you??? You have contractually purchased the use of carfax for yourself. You have no right to give away information to another, you have not been granted that license.

Please do not try to justify stealing, it is offensive to me and others. Do you feel it is ok to copy music, movies or software and give it to your friends????? Do you have the nutz to walk into a store and pocket some merchandise and walk out....This is all the same.

Carfax is a business that must remain profitable. They are not an evil empire trying to screw over the common man. You on the other hand need to look in the mirror and question your honesty and integrity.

The above poster is correct and this should not be tolerated on Prime or any other site..........Seriously......Steve

Yeah, Well, After reading that, I've decided that its my 24.99 and if I want to share it, so be it, I will!

Greg Z said:
Yeah, Well, After reading that, I've decided that its my 24.99 and if I want to share it, so be it, I will!

Well, you are a used car dealer! :biggrin:

Greg Z said:

Do what you want, but just know that you are stealing and that is OK with you and I will understand the nature of your character and integrity.

Also please re-read your response, since it seems you are using my argument (legitimate and law abiding) to justify poor behavior on your part…rather immature IMO.....Steve

Just FYI, here are the terms and conditions agreed upon with the purchase of Carfax.

"...and is intended for my personal use only. Commercial use, resale and redistribution of CARFAX Reports is strictly prohibited and may lead to deactivation of my account and the imposition of additional charges for CARFAX Reports."

Originally Posted by Greg Z

I stand corrected.

Sorry Steve.

comtec said:
I stand corrected.

Sorry Steve.

Its all cool, I just really take a stand on this stuff since I create and sell software and it is not in anyway cheap or easy to do it.

I think people in general have a really good sense of what stealing is when it comes to hard goods. But for some reason, have less of a moral compass when it comes to soft products. Which generally are easy to duplicate and share......Anyway its the season for peace and goodwill to all mankind....Happy Holidays.....Steve

Back