• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars for sale with accident history

In the search, I'm seeing many NSX models that were in prior accidents. With the limited amount of cars still around I guess it's not too surprising. Yet, it seems to be an important concern with an all-aluminum car such as the NSX.

Anyone have success with buying an NSX with such history and maybe can share some insight on the process of verifying the history of the accident(s) and damages? How to verify that a car has not been structurally compromised?

TIA.

Can I ask why you'd want to go that route? Is budgeting the limiting factor?

Depending on what model year NSX you are looking at and budget there are plenty of great condition NSX's out there that you won't need to worry about accident history on.

In order to buy "the right" NSX you need to look outside your state, be patient, and willing to travel to get the right one. I'm on my 3rd and all were bought from overseas without actually seeing the car. So it is possible...

Be patient and keep looking...

Just an FYI, you can't depend 100% on carfax history either. No accidents does'nt mean it has'nt been repaired at some point in it's life. Carfax only reports what is reported to carfax. A clean CF isnt necassarally a clean bill of health. Jeez, I cannot spell "necassarally" today!!!:rolleyes:

Depending on what model year NSX you are looking at and budget there are plenty of great condition NSX's out there that you won't need to worry about accident history on.

In order to buy "the right" NSX you need to look outside your state, be patient, and willing to travel to get the right one. I'm on my 3rd and all were bought from overseas without actually seeing the car. So it is possible...

Budget, color schemes, model year, etc are all factors. I guess that's the flipside to my question...just to avoid these accident history cars all together? Would still think that one would need to verify it's structural integrity even if records show it to be accident free.

Good advice on the area of search and I'm in no rush to buy.

Just an FYI, you can't depend 100% on carfax history either. No accidents does'nt mean it has'nt been repaired at some point in it's life. Carfax only reports what is reported to carfax. A clean CF isnt necassarally a clean bill of health. Jeez, I cannot spell "necassarally" today!!!:rolleyes:

Agree. Seen this happen to other cars I've searched for in the past.

"Accident history" can mean a lot of things. For example, my car has an accident history. In 1993, the original owner backed into a light post in a parking lot and crushed the driver rear quarter panel. It was replaced and you cannot tell. I only know because I have the service records.

The accident history you need to be concerned about is stuff that results in structural damage to the car. The NSX aluminum frame is not very forgiving and is difficult if not impossible in many cases to bend back into shape. There are very few body shops qualified to perform aluminum frame repair and typically the car is just junked. Most of these frame damage cars will have a salvage title, so steer clear. Cars with clean titles that have some accident history i wouldn't worry about, as long as the damage is cosmetic (i.e, body panels not frame)

Im not so sure I agree that there are many cars at all where you dont need to worry about accident history. There were only 9k cars sent to the US. I've seen many cars where the owner believed 1000% that the car was a total virgin, and the Carfax was clean, and an experienced body guy was able to point out where there had clearly been a repaint.

I often wonder if there are *any* used cars of *any* marque that havent been hit. It almost seems sometimes like the only reason people sell to begin with is because of a hit ;)

I have a friend who does body PPIs as a side gig and he told me a *huge* percentage of the cars he's seen have had paint work. What he tries to represent to his clients is his view of the *scope* of it and the likely intensity of the "accident". Could be anything from getting keyed, to a bad scratch, to a massive side swipe and it takes a practiced eye to really tell.

As others have said, an accident comes in varying degrees, as does paint work. Some will say stay away from any NSX that has previous work, which is a fine approach, but very limiting. A properly repaired and properly painted NSX is a fine NSX. Just be sure to understand your PPI.

I say this if your intent is to drive and enjoy your NSX. If your intent is to save your NSX for the next owner, then it's best to avoid repaired NSXs.

What's your budget?

I'm betting it's under $24,999 and that's why you are seeing what you are...

I also see a number of vehicles with "salvage titles". Many claim the car had minor damage. Are there valid situations where a car ends up with a salvage title but wasn't a heavily damaged car?

Thanks.

I also see a number of vehicles with "salvage titles". Many claim the car had minor damage. Are there valid situations where a car ends up with a salvage title but wasn't a heavily damaged car?

Thanks.

Yeah the replacement body panels for these cars are very expensive as are the suspension pieces. Let's say you swung a little too wide on a curve and hopped the curb. You're looking at fender and paint, control arms, halfshafts, strut/spring, wheel, sways, potential oil cooler, oilpan, and engine damage. All that adds up fast for a car worth around $25-30K.

It depends on the type of accident and how it was brought back to life.
and if EVERY STEP was documented WITH PICS.

lots of people frown on " Oh its a Salvage " or it was in a wreck.

they are just mad cuz they paid full price for theirs and you paid HALF for the same car.

90% of minor accidents Owner dont claim so CarFax and autocheck are useless. and a waste

Now I do agree if the wreck effected the frame then stay away from it.

but if you find a salvaged NSX that has been repaired properly and a PPI shows the car is fine, and the car drives perfect and you like the car

the only people that know its a salvage is your insurance company and you. who cares what other think. they dont pay your morgage you do.

Last edited:
lots of people frown on " Oh its a Salvage " or it was in a wreck.

they are just mad cuz they paid full price for theirs and you paid HALF for the same car.

Thats not even close to being true and isn't even a good comparison. The salvage car is only going to be worth a fraction of the clean. Regardless of how it is done up. If somebody wants a 02+ on a 91-95 budget then a salvage one might be an ok buy if that's what they want and they know what they are getting into. Otherwise, the majority of people who want a nice original vehicle are happy to pay "full price" to not buy somebody's restored wreck. If you want to build a track car or there just arent any unwrecked examples left, sure... Go get a salvage one since you were just gonna tear up a good one anyway. If you want a clean car to keep that will hold it's value, dont even bother with salvage cars. There are still plenty of clean ones out there.

I purchased a "salvaged" car and couldn't be happier. With the money saved I had the engine completely rebuilt and added some other items as well. I'm still below the cost of replacing my vehicle with a "clean" NSX.

I knew what I was getting into though. I saw the documentation and photos the entire rebuild. I had the PPI done by one of the best shops in the country, Driving Ambition. I also had Shad go through the motor. The car looks killer, runs perfectly and no one has asked me if the car had ever been totaled. It's true the cost of body panels and running gear make these prohibitive for shops to repair cheaply so that $35k car will be totaled out for very little damage.

People like Shawn and Macninja show you how you can rebuild a "salvaged" car and not many people will know it's not "clean" once finished. I originally was looking at other "salvaged" cars too with the thoughts of restoring it myself. In the end, I just wanted to enjoy the car. And I will with this car for a very, very long time. My suggestion, do your proper diligence.

I bought a salvage 91 back in 2003 with 100K miles. The car now has 194K miles and it has bullet-proof. Only work performed has been maintenance related, brakes, clutch, TB, etc. I bought it for $21K at that time, with the savings I updated the front end to an 02+, audio/visual and a Marga Hills kit. No regrets!

What kind of value is lost due to an accident history but no salvage title? I found an 02 on cars.com but it shows an accident and after talking to the owner he said it was a door replacement. I am hesitant to buy a car with a accident history because I don't know what will happen to the resale value. Any ideas?

What kind of value is lost due to an accident history but no salvage title? I found an 02 on cars.com but it shows an accident and after talking to the owner he said it was a door replacement. I am hesitant to buy a car with a accident history because I don't know what will happen to the resale value. Any ideas?

you buy a car to enjoy it. why worry about resale value? I bought the car with the intention of driving it until it die on me. Even then, I would try to bring it back to life and drive it again. just IMO.

All depends on if you are using this as an investment or a vehicle. If you are going to drive and ENJOY the car, who cares? Drive and enjoy the engineering that made this car what it is.

If you are looking to make money on a used sports car.......

True. Honestly, I wouldn't mind buying a salvaged NSX if I knew I were going to keep it forever. That is, I would if I knew EVERY aspect of why it was salvaged and knew the car tracked perfectly straight.

It's hard to experience and enjoy the engineering of a car when it was twisted up pretty bradly and no longer has the rigidity it did before the accident.

Not NSX salvage, but still on the same note:

Am looking into possibly bidding on/ buying a Lexus GX470 for export to me in Europe (car not regularly imported here so will be unusual/rare, just as I like it:wink:).
It is a theft recovery without any damage and afai understand it will be sold with new salvage title and state inspection, however only 1 key present and no manuals/maintenance books with it, which is a downside.

As a result of the event, the carfax rating is very low, 30 points under a comparable car with clean history, but for export, this is no problem.

At present the seller (salvage cars dealer) is asking 31K or best bid.
How much can I expect to be the price deduction for the theft /salvage history and missing keys/paperwork as compared to a similar year/mileage clean history GX470 which usually sell around the 35-38K mark, how much under the 31K asking would be a reasonable bid?

Last edited:
well if your buying to sell it then not much of a profit there I think but if your driving it cuz it a rare car over there then who cares. but since its a rare car over there the resale might be really good. not sure your situation is an unusual one. good luck.

I also got my 1992 for 21K 2 years ago. its bullet proof ( knock on wood )
figured to do all the maint on it off the bat and she has been the pride of my driveway LOL.

Buying a salvaged car's Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the insurance company. not the eye of the spectators or other people.

but if you do buy a salvage be super picky make sure you see pics of the car before it was repaired and after and if you feel they did a great job fixing it then buy it and drive it till the tires fall off.

cuz the day before the tires fall off you will still get people telling you thats one bad ass car.

Last edited:
salvage is the way to go i have seen other peoples nsx's parked and that have had work done man some of the clean title nsx's on the street look like shit im sorry either your gonna be driving a nice car or a piece of paper which do you drive i think a nice car will go faster. i was up at chads shop he had about 15 nsx all probably clean title and man some of them all the gaps dont line up paint is all messed up

I agree with Mac

are you driving around a peice of paper thats says clean title

or are you driving around with a bad ass car that says salvage on the title thats in the lockbox at home

who cares. drive it

Back