• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cayman GT4 - German NSX?

Who here has considered the Porsche Cayman GT4 as a replacement for the Gen 1 NSX? After driving a bone stock example, it really got me thinking... if my 91 NA1 value ever gets within striking distance of a used GT4...

https://youtu.be/30ozWStfJWw

Also, both Matt Farah and myself have drawn the comparison between the Lotus Evora S/400 and the NSX. Another forum member (RYU) offered his supercharged NA1 to Farah for that comparison video. I'm sure most of you have seen the video, it's even posted in this forum. I feel the GT4 is still closer to the NSX in ethos and driving experience but looking for other perspectives.

-Fenton

Not to rain on anyone's parade perhaps the GT4 is the German NSX but prepare yourself for the joys of German car ownership. I replaced my beloved 06 TL with a new /15 Audi A6 3.0T which is a lovely car but in 3 years/27,000 miles it has had more issues than the TL did in 10 years/140,000 miles. This is not my experience alone it is borne out by empirical data. I'm now facing what I believe to be an "issue" with upper timing chain tensioners -- not a one-off as there is an Audi TSB about it. Not a very happy Audi owner. Frankly this is enough to send me running back to Mother Honda and bid the Audi adieu shortly after warranty expiration. VAG also has a nasty habit of giving its customers a lot of BS when things go wrong in an attempt to evade warranty work. Your mileage may vary but this has been my experience and that of friends who have said goodbye to VAG products including Porsche. Honda has, at least for me, been quite the opposite of VAG. If there has been an issue/defect, Honda generally "owns it" and makes it right. Thankfully my Dad got himself a newer Gen III TL and gave me his 04 to use as the commute buggy. 14 years old/167,000 miles and aside from normal consumables only thing replaced has been one a/c compressor, sourced from Denso for $250. As much as I'd like to add another toy to keep my /94 NSX company, it won't be a P-car despite how great they drive. Saving my pennies for the new NSX.

Best,
Jeff

I love everything about the GT4 except the ridiculous boy racer/mid life crisis rear wing...

Zygrene, great video. I'm a huge fan of your channel.

Had a deposit on a GT4 before I bought my NSX.
Got a chance to drive my friend's GT4. Handling was amazing. Drivetrain underwhelmed me, like you said, needs another 50 hp and I would also say 500rpm higher redline. In combination with long gearing didn't provide the character I was looking for despite the solid power delivery.
If new GT4 has detuned 4L engine then I'm sure I will be thinking long and hard about selling NSX.

I went with NSX because of the nostalgia/analog factor, cost of ownership and that it was still 60k more than what I paid for the NSX. Both cars are still too nice for me to subjecting to DD abuse such as parking lots/garages.

Not to rain on anyone's parade perhaps the GT4 is the German NSX but prepare yourself for the joys of German car ownership. I replaced my beloved 06 TL with a new /15 Audi A6 3.0T which is a lovely car but in 3 years/27,000 miles it has had more issues than the TL did in 10 years/140,000 miles. This is not my experience alone it is borne out by empirical data. I'm now facing what I believe to be an "issue" with upper timing chain tensioners -- not a one-off as there is an Audi TSB about it. Not a very happy Audi owner. Frankly this is enough to send me running back to Mother Honda and bid the Audi adieu shortly after warranty expiration. VAG also has a nasty habit of giving its customers a lot of BS when things go wrong in an attempt to evade warranty work. Your mileage may vary but this has been my experience and that of friends who have said goodbye to VAG products including Porsche. Honda has, at least for me, been quite the opposite of VAG. If there has been an issue/defect, Honda generally "owns it" and makes it right. Thankfully my Dad got himself a newer Gen III TL and gave me his 04 to use as the commute buggy. 14 years old/167,000 miles and aside from normal consumables only thing replaced has been one a/c compressor, sourced from Denso for $250. As much as I'd like to add another toy to keep my /94 NSX company, it won't be a P-car despite how great they drive. Saving my pennies for the new NSX.

Best,
Jeff

Oh definitely - no doubt the GT4 is still a German car and that has its fair share of implications. But I do hear that Porsche is one of, if not the best German manufacturer in terms of reliability and build quality. But to Allen's point in the video, even scheduled maintenance is $$$$ if you're accustomed to Japanese cars.

I love everything about the GT4 except the ridiculous boy racer/mid life crisis rear wing...

I don't mind the wing at all. It's functional on the track and at least doesn't look "tacked on" like the ZR1 or Viper ACR wing. But to each his own. I'm sure the stock wing can be removed.

Zygrene, great video. I'm a huge fan of your channel.

Had a deposit on a GT4 before I bought my NSX.
Got a chance to drive my friend's GT4. Handling was amazing. Drivetrain underwhelmed me, like you said, needs another 50 hp and I would also say 500rpm higher redline. In combination with long gearing didn't provide the character I was looking for despite the solid power delivery.
If new GT4 has detuned 4L engine then I'm sure I will be thinking long and hard about selling NSX.

I went with NSX because of the nostalgia/analog factor, cost of ownership and that it was still 60k more than what I paid for the NSX. Both cars are still too nice for me to subjecting to DD abuse such as parking lots/garages.

Yes! A detuned 4.0 that revved to, say, 8500 rpm and produced 450hp would be a great addition to the car. But the P-car hierarchy prevents such a car from ever being produced, sadly.

Nostalgia is honestly the BIGGEST reason I'd keep the NSX, even if it came within striking distance of a used GT4's price. But who knows, maybe in 5 years I'll be over it. :)

I think a 425 Hp 8250 redline engine is very realistic.
Speaking of which if the 991.2 GT3 came with back seats I think the NSX would be sold.

I think a 425 Hp 8250 redline engine is very realistic.
Speaking of which if the 991.2 GT3 came with back seats I think the NSX would be sold.

I would love to spec a GT3 Touring with rear seats, but I don't think that's an option even if you threw a stack of Benjamins at your Porsche dealer. :(

Funny, I just re-read this an hour ago. I read it when it was first published and had forgotten how well written it was! His thoughts on the NA2 NSX versus GT4 (can't comment on F355) are very close to mine, only I prefer GT4's EPS to the NA2 EPS. But that could come down to tire choice.

Thanks for the review Fenton. I really enjoyed the drive as well as the video.

When it come's to smiles per dollar or bang for the buck i still reach for the Honda keys. Cheap thrills and if I blow up the engine or damage the car it's no real big deal.... Quite the contrary with the GT4.

42442180331_75fd502794_k.jpg

41220047680_2e9316aebc_k.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Fenton. I really enjoyed the drive as well as the video.

When it come's to smiles per dollar or bang for the buck i still reach for the Honda keys. Cheap thrills and if I blow up the engine or damage the car it's no real big deal.... Quite the contrary with the GT4.

42442180331_75fd502794_k.jpg

41220047680_2e9316aebc_k.jpg

Gorgeous cars. You’ve got great taste in mods.

GT4/GT3 proves the Type R formula they started is still hugely desirable. Just wish Honda had something in 2018 for its fans.

Gorgeous cars. You’ve got great taste in mods.

GT4/GT3 proves the Type R formula they started is still hugely desirable. Just wish Honda had something in 2018 for its fans.

Thanks!

The new Civic Type R is appealing to me but i wasn't blown away when I drove it around Buttonwillow... Jury is still out. I may get one but im reluctant to give up any of the cars I currently have for it.

Porsche GT cars are phenomenal and they hold their value well. I will most likely continue to climb up that Porsche ladder as the years go on. Im still a die hard Honda guy but my loyalty/allegiance has been slowly losing it's grip on me some since I got the GT4.

38888999742_e3cafe0f65_k.jpg

The best part about the GT4 is it needs nothing... Well, for me I’d remove the bleacher seating out back. But other than that, it’s a highly modified Nsx- factory direct

I'm sure the GT4 is really fun to drive and similar to the NSX. However, here in Canada it would cost me $100k more than what I paid for my NSX.

On top of that when I see a GT4 on the road, I know it's a GT4 because of the unique colour and wing and also because I am a "car guy". The overall appearance of the Cayman/Boxster doesn't really stand out much to me.

Always been a fan of the cayman since day one...the latest generation is a gorgeous car and the GT4 is just a badass!!!

Definitely on my short list if I ever get rid of the NSX.

Back