• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Celebrating X'mas with gf's family...

Go to Costco and buy a large flower arrangement and nice bottle of wine. Or, just give her the gift that keeps on giving: Herpes. :biggrin: j/k.

I am going to my GF house also I am just going to take something like a cake or any thing that they could eat like that. Just get her something nice. I am sure the family will not think anything bad if you do that but if they do judge you then you should run because that is just the start.

As mentioned ask your gf what her folks would apreciate,my budget would be up to 100$. Dress nicely.Be yourself.Don't knock the tree over.

If her parents play golf and you don't there's a risk that you could disappoint them by a gift that is 'cheap' for them like they prefer ball x and you choose ball y they don't like. For people you do not know very good I'd choose some 'general' gifts like flowers or a some tickets to a local event.
BTW once a wife of an NSX owner in Germany bought him an NSX 'titanium' key I've sold on the forum as a birthday present. Nice gift. :wink:

Last edited:
I know her parents love playing golf.

What is a great gift for golfers?

Dad owns a liquor store and they like to play golf.. are they Korean by any chance?

Not to stereotype of course, but I'm Korean myself and owning a liquor store, dry cleaners, deli, and/or nail salon plus playing golf on weekends sounds like 90% of my old church congregation.

I'm surprised no one has even mentioned this yet but...

What about showing up early with your gf and helping to cook/bake? A) that gets you get a little closer to whoever is cooking (whom I'm assuming would most likely be her mom). B) Shows that you are willing to help around the house which I'm assuming is a + for any parent who's looking out for their daughter.

Also maybe baking a pie beforehand with your gf and bringing it along could be good and inexpensive. And since you baked it yourself it makes you look that much better. Or just buy one.. lol.

I don't agree that you have to bring a gift. Your would be going there to bond with the family, not impress them. Just be yourself and show them who you really are if they don't appreciate you for who you are then either A) your really a jerk or B) they are the type who judge for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
This will be easier than you think. You will need 3 things:

1) Generic Christmas Card
approx. $5
Address it to the entire family, write a note that wishes them well and thanks them for their hospitality

2) A Nice Bottle of Pinot Noir
$20-$50
Ask your girlfriend, if they drink wine and make sure they are not averse to Reds. A well balanced Pinot is typically enjoyed by just about all wine drinkers.

3) Box of 12 Titleist ProV1's
$40-$50 depending on source. Online is cheaper.
Even if they don't play Titleist's, they will recognize the ProV1 as a good ball. Either way, they will respect the thought you put into it.

All 3 items should be had for under $100.

Last edited:
Dad owns a liquor store and they like to play golf.. are they Korean by any chance?

Not to stereotype of course, but I'm Korean myself and owning a liquor store, dry cleaners, deli, and/or nail salon plus playing golf on weekends sounds like 90% of my old church congregation.

Haha...dang you are good!

Alright, here is what I am going to do:

A 10" cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory
2 or more bottles of nice wines
Flowers for her mom

My gf said I would look trying too hard if I got everyone a gift.

Hopefully I will be ok!

:biggrin:

I'd dress nicely, take a gift like a fruit basket, and treat their daughter like she just fell from heaven. This seems to work well (I am now married to the last girl who brought me home for the holidays)

Whatever you do- don't drink a 5th of Jim Beam and then pass out before dinner. It doesn't go over well.

P

This will be easier than you think. You will need 3 things:

1) Generic Christmas Card
approx. $5
Address it to the entire family, write a note that wishes them well and thanks them for their hospitality

2) A Nice Bottle of Pinot Noir
$20-$50
Ask your girlfriend, if they drink wine and make sure they are not averse to Reds. A well balanced Pinot is typically enjoyed by just about all wine drinkers.

3) Box of 12 Titleist ProV1's
$40-$50 depending on source. Online is cheaper.
Even if they don't play Titleist's, they will recognize the ProV1 as a good ball. Either way, they will respect the thought you put into it.

All 3 items should be had for under $100.

awesome input!

thanks a lot!

i had no idea what golf balls are good.

The gift plan sounds good. Surprise them after dinner by helping to clean up. Some people really respect that.

Yes, absolutely. And most likely they'll turn your offer down, which means you get the points for offering but won't have to do any actual work. It's a winning strategy.

Sounds like a great plan, take some Imodium, or have a crap before going there. As silly and cliche as it sounds last thing you want is to stink the place up or worse block the toilet. Believe me it happens!

Wife suggested take some a packet of matches in case you do need to have a crap, but I think is a bad idea as they might think you are smoking in their toilet.

Sounds like a great plan, take some Imodium, or have a crap before going there. As silly and cliche as it sounds last thing you want is to stink the place up or worse block the toilet. Believe me it happens!

Wife suggested take some a packet of matches in case you do need to have a crap, but I think is a bad idea as they might think you are smoking in their toilet.

Best advice of the thread. :tongue: I love that your wife chimed in on this too.

Like everyone stated, don't go empty handed. :smile:
Flowers for her mom and a nice bottle of wine for her dad.

Next couple of yrs thread will read " Celebrating X'mas with Inlaws" Lol:biggrin:
J/k

Good luck and don't pass out on the coach.:biggrin:

What if I fart and light up a match......explosion hazard perhaps? :biggrin:

Like everyone stated, don't go empty handed. :smile:
Flowers for her mom and a nice bottle of wine for her dad.

Next couple of yrs thread will read " Celebrating X'mas with Inlaws" Lol:biggrin:
J/k

Good luck and don't pass out on the coach.:biggrin:

Hopefully soon...I am working on it my man...
LOL...really tough to save but I'm trying.

I'm going to give my 2 cents here, but I have to say first that this whole thing sounds like bad news coming when I hear "got out of a bad relationship"... "engaged" and "10 months" in the same paragraph. Having said this, I wish you the best of luck and will give you a few tips here:

Find out who the girl is closer too. Mom or dad. Is she her mom's daughter and best friend? or is she daddy's girl? Who does she listen to? try to measure up to? You take that person, and you work more on getting closer to them. Once you do that, you don't need to do a whole lot else. If she is tight with mom and mom thinks you are hot shit, you are in. If she is always talking of dad and dad takes a liking to you and says "I like the kid", you are in solid.

The suggestions made here are good and kudos to primers with the good advice on the gifts. But you can be even more personal. You can gain a lot more points by taking an INEXPENSIVE yet very personal gift for them. Does mom like to read? get her a book she may like. "I heard you like author XYZ so I thought you may like this". Does she like a certain type of music? Get her a CD she may like... moms and dads are still mostly old school and actually use CD's. Does dad like cars or sports? get him something that has to do with cars or his favorite team. If he likes golf, the golf ball suggestion is good. You shouldn't get personal stuff for both, the way you do this is stagger personal/generic tilted towards the one you are trying to get the approval of.

Card, bottle of wine for the dad... and "mom... I heard you like Cactus plants, I got this one from a XYZ blah blah blah.. its a very rare cactus". Or bottle of wine for mom, card, and a Cuban Cigar or a special bottle of Cognac for dad.

Then "flirt" with the family. Be a good story teller. Be entertaining for an evening. Make everyone laugh. If there are little kids around, show that you can interact well with them. I remember one year I was at a christmas party with a girl and the whole family knew of my car and made fun of me for being so into it. There was a 6 year old nephew there. So I gave him a little NSX... everyone burst out laughing when I handed it to him and said "this is an NSX Jay, it's the best car in the world".

A few months ago with another girl, I was telling the mom and dad the story of how mean their daughter is... over wine... and how she tried to reject me as hard as she could... and they were laughing hysterically as I told one story after another with the girl punching my arm saying "its not true!!". When you have gotten the parents to side with you and they are laughing about the doings of their own daughter, they like you. When they like you, she wants you.

In a few situations I have been interested in a really hot girl that already got a lot of attention, and so I didn't even try to impress her. I went for the mom. Not in a disrespectful way, but I would constantly have interesting stuff to tell her, I would always make her laugh... ask her stories about her life in Italy. I knew her favorite movies... how she met her husband... she would say to me "you look like an Italian movie star".... The daughter took a huge interest in me, one time telling me "OMG, My mom is so in love with you".
I just pole-vaulted over every other guy after this girl.

I know a few good magic tricks... not something lame, but really cool stuff. I can stop my pulse. I can breathe out smoke like a dragon without inhaling anything. Kids are wow'ed.... adults are sitting around smiling. And the girl? she has that "I want to take you to bed right now" look on her face. I know some cool brain teaser questions people love. Some cool old school questions for the aunts, the uncles. Everyone is trying to get the correct answer... and then someone looks like a fool for not having seen the obvious... and everyone laughs.

You can actually walk in empty-handed... and still walk out a star. I am not telling you to do anything improper or to not get a bottle of wine. I am just saying that people are all the same. The same way you made that girl laugh and now she likes you, is the same you make mom or dad laugh and they like you. No matter the level of affection the girl may have for you, it is great to walk into an event, be a hit, and watch her light up like a christmas tree. The sex afterwards is worth it. So prepare a bit mentally as well before you just walk in and possibly get nervous and clam up.

Last edited:
Still time for more advice.

Watch the movie "Dumb and Dumber" if you haven't.
Do exactly as in the scene where he was trying to impress her friends.

Back