• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Center of Gravity on the NSX?

Hi all,

I've tried several keyword searches to find the Center of Gravity location on the NSX. Can anyone direct me to a thread containing this information. I just had an aluminum flatbed trailer delivered and when I loaded the car, I feel like the CG is too far aft on the trailer.

This is a tandem axle trailer and in the car's current location, as far forward as possible on the trailer, a passengers head would be centered between the wheels.

I'm afraid CG is further aft than this. Does anyone know the exact location?

For tie down purposes, this was the best location of the car on the trailer, but for CG purposes, I've scooted the snoot all the way up against the rock guard. A driver's head would be center of the wheels. I feel like the car needs to move forward another foot or so. Looking for wisdom!

Attachments

• NSX Trailer 720.jpg
    NSX Trailer 720.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 340
There are three built-in points on each side of the car for a jack to lift the car. The middle position is a longer, larger section. It appears to be designed to take the bulk of the car's weight if lifted with one jack, from the side. The location of this lifting point is just forward of the drivers head. If this is CG on the car, I'm good!

Any wisdom out there...?

Advanced Trailer Solutions; Lafayette, IN

The fenders on the drivers side are removable so the door can open. The rock guard and tool box are also removable in case you you need to overhang a longer car. 6 foot ramps slide out from the rear. LED lighting. Support stands drop down from the rear of the trailer when loading.

I looked all over the country before choosing this manufacturer. Well engineered. Well built. First class finish and attention to detail.

A few pics are attached...

Attachments

• OPEN CAR WITH WINDGUARD 001.jpg
    OPEN CAR WITH WINDGUARD 001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 216
  • OPEN CAR WITH WINDGUARD 002.jpg
    OPEN CAR WITH WINDGUARD 002.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 202
  • OPEN CAR WITH WINDGUARD 007.jpg
    OPEN CAR WITH WINDGUARD 007.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
This response might not answer what you asked exactly but it might be what you need. :biggrin:

Do you know the weight of the trailer? You probably know the weight of the car, figure in the 3000-3100 lb range.

Let's say the trailer weighs 1300 lbs. That means the gross trailer weight is 4300 - 4400 lbs.

Rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be 9-15% of the gross trailer weight, so using 4300 lbs as the gross trailer weight, the tongue weight should be around 400-650 lbs.

If you could measure the tongue weight with a commercial scale you'd have the way to ideally position the car on the trailer.

Sorry if this is not really close to what you are looking for.

Thanks Doug. I'm hoping for at least 10% of the overall weight to be on the tongue. I'll post to this thread after getting it weighed. I ordered this trailer shorter than the standard size so it would fit in my garage.

If tongue weight is light, I'm wondering if it is less noticeable on a shorter trailer? I'm pulling with a 2012 F250 diesel, so I'll barely feel it behind the truck.

I'm headed for the Dragon in a couple weeks.

Im case it's not obvious, you might try backing it on if you can't get the tongue weight right. Had to do that with a couple of race cars.

Tried it! Can't back it on. The front spoiler can't handle the same angle as the rear of the car. Also, the rear of the car stands taller than the rock guard. Here's a few pics I took today...

Attachments

• ATC Trailer 002.jpg
    ATC Trailer 002.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 199
  • ATC Trailer 004.jpg
    ATC Trailer 004.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 188
  • ATC Trailer 005.jpg
    ATC Trailer 005.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Does this picture work? It shows the Center of Gravity to be about in line with the driver's back.

Looks to be at the radius of the bolster... Cool to know.

I had to back mine on as I had the same problem as you. Had to use some pieces of wood to load it or the front lip would scrape.

7734701472_f3e63496d7_z.jpg

Back