• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Center speaker failure

On my way home from our club lunch, my center speaker amp bit the dust. I had one of the door speaker amps go about a year ago and had it and the other door speaker amp fixed as a preventative measure. I noticed the music at higher volume just didn't sound right and then I experienced a high pitch noise followed by static from the center speaker. I checked the FAQ file about replacing the center speaker amp but didn't find anything. I removed the center speaker looking for an amp but all I found was the speaker with the connecter and a black cylinder shaped electrical part (arrow points to it in picture).

I had sent my amps to a place called www.soundrepair.com that specializes in Bose amp repairs and they replaced my amp components with military grade replacements for $85 each. I plan to use this same company to repair the center amp. Is that this black electrical part essentially the amp? I presume I just send them the center speaker and they'll replace that part. If I'm wrong, please advise.

speaker.jpg

The center speaker is driven off the amp located in the Sub-woofer enclosure located the passenger foot well. The black thing on the back of the speaker is a Capacitor, I am not sure if it is used as a cross-over or what but you problem is most likely in the amp.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/bose_rr.htm

Last edited:
Briank said:
The center speaker is driven off the amp located in the Sub-woofer enclosure located the passenger foot well. The black thing on the back of the speaker is a Capacitor, I am not sure if it is used as a cross-over or what but you problem is most likely in the amp.

Too bad I had to remove the center speaker enclosure (not an easy task with the Comptech harness bar installed) but I was able to button up everything alright. I guess you live and learn. I replaced both door speaker amps so it's got to be the only one left. I'll remove it and have it repaired. Problem should be solved.

Thanks for your insight.

(NSX REY) said:
Vytas,
What was the turn-time for your amp repair?

It was only a few days. The service was very fast. I was totally happy with their quick turnaournd. Have no problems with the amps.

Back