• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changing brake fluid in ABS

I plan on putting new brake pads and stainless brake lines on my car. I will also change out the brake fluid, my question is..
to change the fluid in the ABS do I need this special "T" wrench or a standard brake bleeding tool. I know that the ABS is under pressure and I have read the procedure at Dans Garage.com. Where do you get this "T" wrench, at an Acura dealer?

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

Yes, you can order it from Acura. And due to the high pressure, unless you like spraying hot brake fluid all over the place, do use the special tool. It's not the cheapest tool, but after using it twice, I think you have broken even compared to paying the Acura dealer to do the job for you, after that, every use is saving you money. I hav3en't bought one yet, but I watched a fellow NSXCA member do the job on my car, and I will probably buy the tool the next time I need to. I'm hoping (and kinda expecting) the tool will work on my wife's Integra and our RL as well.

Fritz

Fritz - the tool will work on other Acura autos. And the tool is available by loan from someone on the NSX email list - check the FAQ for directions on subscribing.

That sounds about right (or a little lower than i thought ($175). Anyways, I think the service performed by an Acura dealer is about $70, so like I said, after 2 uses, you are break even and everytime after is money in the bank

Joe,

Call Eric at Neillo. I paid $106 for it two years ago. If you can insure me you will have it for only a week and get it back to me, I will send it to you, no problem. I also have the switch needed to activate the ABS pump to bleed it properly.

You can go to http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/index.html and read Dan's excellent DIY procedure for this.

Let me know.

LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 17 April 2002).]

NSX4FUN,

My sentence was a little misleading. I bought mine two years ago, but not from Neillo. I just know he has the best prices around. But.... based on your post I called Eric to get a price from him. For NSXCA members it is $106!!!!

Good Luck,
LarryB

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
You can go to http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/index.html and read Dan's excellent DIY procedure for this.

Ditto That ! I performed the procedure as described by DanO (the procedure without the T-Bleed wrench) last night and it seemed to work like a charm. ABS seems fine now and I know a little more about my car! The whole thing took about 1 1/2 hours including making all the switches, jumpers etc... I would anticipate the next time I do this I could do it in a half hour.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Michigan NSX said:
Ditto That ! I performed the procedure as described by DanO (the procedure without the T-Bleed wrench) last night and it seemed to work like a charm. ABS seems fine now and I know a little more about my car! The whole thing took about 1 1/2 hours including making all the switches, jumpers etc... I would anticipate the next time I do this I could do it in a half hour.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I can't fint a procedure without the special tool. Is there one on his site?

You DO need the wrench to do this. I cannot see anything other then a TOTAL mess if you do not:).

HTH,
LarryB

BITeR said:
I can't fint a procedure without the special tool. Is there one on his site?
Dano's ABS article gives a solenoid flush procedure, and says "This procedure can be used to flush the ABS system if you don't happen to have the Bleeder T Wrench." If I understand right, he's saying that opening each solenoid in turn will cause fluid to flow into the reservoir. If you don't have the special tool, you just flush the solenoids and remove the old fluid from the reservoir (that is, you don't open the maintenance bleeder).

Can anyone say whether this is a reasonable alternative to buying the $100+ tool? Would it flush the system adequately?

Tom239 said:
Dano's ABS article gives a solenoid flush procedure, and says "This procedure can be used to flush the ABS system if you don't happen to have the Bleeder T Wrench." If I understand right, he's saying that opening each solenoid in turn will cause fluid to flow into the reservoir. If you don't have the special tool, you just flush the solenoids and remove the old fluid from the reservoir (that is, you don't open the maintenance bleeder).

Can anyone say whether this is a reasonable alternative to buying the $100+ tool? Would it flush the system adequately?

I believe that procedure is to excersise the solenoid valve, not flushing the ABS system.
I assume then, that there is no method of bleeding without the special too.

I hope DanO sees this and comments. I was under the impression that his second procedue would unstick a really stcuk selonoid, but I was not thinking it could get out all the old fluid.

I will PM him.

Regards,
LarryB

Hello All

LarryB shot me a PM re: this topic. I’ve been away from these forums for a bit as we’re opening a new store and I have a 4-month old baby boy keeping me busy--Haven’t had a chance to even drive my NSX for more than a few miles this summer. Thanks Larry for letting me spend a little time thinking about the NSX!

Regarding the alternate ABS flush procedure: From what I can remember, it dawned on me while performing the solenoid flush/activation procedure that the ALB fluid gets cycled through the reservoir; if one were to extract the fluid from the reservoir each cycle and fill it with new fluid then *I think* it would serve the same purpose (or better) as extracting with the bleeder t-wrench. I must have been pretty sure at the time to write it in the procedure on my website but honestly I haven’t given it a second thought until now.

The more I think about it the more I think it (the cycle flush) might be a better procedure as it flushes the old fluid out and through the solenoid valves. With the downside of: 1) potential fluid spillage. 2) potential pump burnout. Both 1 & 2 can be avoided with a little care.

What do you think?

DanO

Hi DanO,

Congrats on your new addition:). OK, so you are saying if you activate the selonoid it will flush the old fluid back up into the reservoir. So you keep draining the fluid and replacing it with new fluid? I guess if you cycle through enough fluid it will all be renewed. That makes sense.

My first thought was you would always have a mix, but rightly so, after a few cycles it should all be out. I was thinking with the "T" bleeder you always just take out all the old, as you fill the reservoir with new:). Obviously since I have it I use that method.

I agree you must make sure you do not burn out the pump this way.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
OK, so you are saying if you activate the selonoid it will flush the old fluid back up into the reservoir. So you keep draining the fluid and replacing it with new fluid?

Thanks for the congrats! I’ll get some pictures of the future NSX mechanic posted soon.

Yes, one would extract the old fluid with a baster or vacuum extractor then put the new fluid in the reservoir, cycle the pump manually (carefully) to pressurize the accumulator then switch one of the solenoids open to full the reservoir with the old fluid. Do this enough times and you should have a clean system.

This is a little more complicated procedure than using the t-wrench.

DanO

DanO said:
Thanks for the congrats! I’ll get some pictures of the future NSX mechanic posted soon.

Yes, one would extract the old fluid with a baster or vacuum extractor then put the new fluid in the reservoir, cycle the pump manually (carefully) to pressurize the accumulator then switch one of the solenoids open to full the reservoir with the old fluid. Do this enough times and you should have a clean system.

This is a little more complicated procedure than using the t-wrench.

DanO

With the T-wrench is the proffessional way, without, is the DIY way, the resullt will be the same (if done enough times)

With my own car I keep the oil in the abs reservoir new, as the abs system sometimes is in use (due to my rediculous driving...) it will go trough out the system. This means : self refreshhing, I refill twice a year.

Cees-Jan said:
With my own car I keep the oil in the abs reservoir new, as the abs system sometimes is in use (due to my rediculous driving...) it will go trough out the system. This means : self refreshhing, I refill twice a year.

So what you're saying is that if you engage the ABS pump enough times while driving and keep refilling with fresh fluid it is eventually flushing itself?
How exactly are you doing this?
Go out in the rain, make mulitiple stops, then drain reservoir, fill with fresh fluid, go out and make miltiple stops again, repeat as many times as you can?

Sounds like a good idea actually, if it will get the job done:)

Back